Which Varirec setting equals Audio Master?

vbimport

#1

Since my Yamaha CRW3200 burner died, I miss the Audio Master Quality recording mode.

I now have a Plextor 52/24/52 which allows VariRec.

But I’m wondering which setting I should use to match AMQ.

T.I.A.


#2

Originally posted by Renegade661

I now have a Plextor 52/24/52 which allows VariRec.

But I’m wondering which setting I should use to match AMQ.

In fact, none. Gigarec is not available in your drive…

[COLOR=blue]Gigarec at less than 1x

…VariRec is about power calibration.[/COLOR]


#3

Huh :confused: :confused: I’m not talking about Gigarec :rolleyes:

AFAIK, GigaRec is a feature from the Premium series that allows a bigger recording capacity on cd-r, while VariRec allows the user to change the laser power when writing CD-DA on CD-R at 4X

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=Jitter+Tests&index=7


#4

Originally posted by Renegade661

GigaRec is a feature from the Premium series that allows a bigger recording capacity on cd-r
Or smaller .
And that’s what I mean when it comes to Yamaha’s Audio Master Mode, which is x0.85
And that is the whole point w the AMQR !

However, as for the Plextor,
in my experience there have been achieved the best KProbe results when recording @ pure 4x,
VariRec w 0 used to give me worse outcomes.


#5

Originally posted by BoSkin
[B]Or smaller .
And that’s what I mean when it comes to Yamaha’s Audio Master Mode, which is x0.85
And that is the whole point w the AMQR !

Ok. Thanks for the info. :bow:

Originally posted by BoSkin
However, as for the Plextor,
in my experience there have been achieved the best KProbe results when recording @ pure 4x,
VariRec w 0 used to give me worse outcomes. [/B]

Does this apply to every Plextor burners supporting VariRec, or just for the PX-W4824A ?


#6

Originally posted by Renegade661

Does this apply to every Plextor burners supporting VariRec, or just for the PX-W4824A ?
What exactly do you mean by that ?


#7

I mean that what you write agrees with Cdrinfo’s article about Varirec VS AMQ.
But the article was related to PX-W4824A.
Plextor may have improved Varirec since then…


#8

Originally posted by Renegade661

Plextor may have improved Varirec since then…
Well, frankly, I’ve no idea,
since my writer’s PX-W4012A, which I stopped using for audio as soon as I got my Yamaha F1 last year.

Yet I believe the Plex 522452 will do the job great.


#9

Originally posted by BoSkin

Yet I believe the Plex 522452 will do the job great.

Hehe I hope so :bigsmile:

If no body gives the answer here, I’ll test by myself and post the results. It may be usefull to someone else, someday.


#10

Hi BoSkin!

Hmm… interesting. I believed that “Varirec 0 at 4x” and “Pure 4x” were the same thing…

ET

Originally posted by BoSkin

However, as for the Plextor,
in my experience there have been achieved the best KProbe results when recording @ pure 4x,
VariRec w 0 used to give me worse outcomes.


#11

Originally posted by eltranquil

Hmm… interesting. I believed that “Varirec 0 at 4x” and “Pure 4x” were the same thing…

If they are the same thing, what then is the reason of enabling and using VariRec feature ?

Just for the sake of the values like -1 or +2 which give more jitter ?


#12

Originally posted by Renegade661

If no body gives the answer here,
I’ll test by myself and post the results. It may be usefull to someone else, someday.
What answer are you still waiting for ? Haven’t you found out anything yet ?


#13

My idea was that “Varirec=0” equals “No Varirec” as in some other contexts… for example, for some archivers: “compression=0” means “no compression”, etc.
Maybe the use of number “0” is a bit confusing, at least for me (i am a mathematician, you know…)

However, it was just a conjecture since I have never used varirec (and probably I’ll never use it).
Wrong conjecture, evidently. :rolleyes:

Regards,

ET.

Originally posted by BoSkin
If they are the same thing, what then is the reason of enabling and using VariRec feature ?


#14

Originally posted by BoSkin
What answer are you still waiting for ? Haven’t you found out anything yet ?

Don’t get me wrong, Boskin :slight_smile:
You helped me of course, but I’m still wondering if that *****ng Varirec can help to get a better quality audio cd, at least with the 52/24/52 model.


#15

Originally posted by eltranquil

Maybe the use of number “0” is a bit confusing, at least for me (i am a mathematician, you know…)

ET,

I clearly understand your point and completely agree w that.
But what’s the point of enabling VariRec w its default 0 then, if you can simply write @4x ?
As I said, I did the ( KProbe ) tests in the past being influenced by this

and since they sort of matched the subject, I simply stopped using VariRec.
Writing @16x CLV is no way worse than if writing w VariRec.
No special visible and especially audiable differences have been noticed.


#16

@Bo, I know that you are a very good and careful media quality tester since I have seen your quality tests in the media forum (when we discussed about that in the Gigarec at less the 1x thread), so if you are saying that the two methods yielded different results, I believe it. :bow:

I have read several other reports on the net saying that it is not clear in which way Varirec can effectively improve audio quality, and this is the reason why I have never used it…

To answer your last question:

well, my (wrong) idea was simply the following: “enabling” Varirec but leaving the value at 0 actually does nothing… (“change the offset level of the writing strategy of 0 units…”!).

Learned something new also this time. :wink:

Cheers,

ET

Originally posted by BoSkin

But what’s the point of enabling VariRec w its default 0 then, if you can simply write @4x ?