Which to buy: CDRW drives for multi-burning

vbimport

I have the CDRW drives so far:
1 Plextor 16x ide
1 Yamaha 16x ide
1 Teac 8x ide

I want to build a new machine and use it as a CDR jukebox, that will allow me to burn several CDs at the same time using software like (Nero 5.5se, or discJuggler, or CDRwin 4.0beta). I’ll start with 2 burners at a time, then move up to 4 burners at a time if i get things working.

I hate my Yamaha drive (it sounds like a LairJet when it spins).
and i love my Plextor 16x.

Here are the prices for CDRW drives at my local store (in Canadian dollars)

Plextor 16x $288
Yamaha 16x $190
Sony 16x $180
Teach 16x $230

I want to get more plextor drives but they cost almost 50% more than the Yamaha and Sony drives. I want to make sure i get all the same drive/model to make it easier to burn with.

I want to build a new machine to allow me to burn 4 CDs at a time.

MY QUESTION: Has anyone here every actually burned to more than one IDE CDRW drive at the same time? Do you suggest I spend the extra money to get 3 more plextors or should i go cheap and get 4 Sonys. Does anyone else also hate/love their yamaha 16x? How about software? has anyone did a mutiburn yet? (what software)?

Thanks for your help. …adam

Originally posted by deaves
[B]

I want to build a new machine to allow me to burn 4 CDs at a time.

MY QUESTION: Has anyone here every actually burned to more than one IDE CDRW drive at the same time? Do you suggest I spend the extra money to get 3 more plextors or should i go cheap and get 4 Sonys. Does anyone else also hate/love their yamaha 16x? How about software? has anyone did a mutiburn yet? (what software)?

Thanks for your help. …adam
[/B]

Adam,

I’ll start by saying I’d admire your drive and ambition. Hat’s off, dude.

I’ve never done a multi-burn, although my system does have 2 writers: a JVC 2x SCSI(which is slated for retirement) and a Yamaha CRW2100 IDE, which I’ve had really good luck with.

You are right, the Yamaha is a noisy drive. Only disappointment I have had with the drive is that i have never made a 16x burn, but it could be the media. I’ve attempted max burn speed with Nero5.0, 5.5, EzCD 5, and CDRWin 3. Best I’ve attained without having a new addition to my pc desk coaster collection is 12x on a cd-to-cd copy. Audio best speed is 8x. But, even these results are good to me, after spending 3 yrs burning at 1x and 2x.

Based on my knowledge of pc hardware, I think IDE burners are out of the question for your idea. Not because of the burners, but because of the IDE controllers. Unless there’s a really good IDE add-on card out there, you will suffer nothing but buffer overruns with more than 1 drive per IDE controller, especially when the other drive on the controller is another burner. It’s just too much data back and forth across the same device.

SCSI drives may work though. Multi drive duplicators have SCSI controllers and drives, for instance.

Please remember, this is just my opinion.

'Voodoo

I have 4 nec 2510a drives and use nero 6. Works great. I had to get 2 ata-100 controllers and set each drive to master. This allowed me to have multiple hard drives on this machine as well. Adaptec manufactures the controllers, you can find them at best buy or really just about anywhere

Thanks for resurrecting a thread that had been dead for 5 years.

How do you actually find these, and more to the point why?