Which Taiyo Yuden cdr to archive music files?

phthalocyanine gold discs are touted as having the greatest longevity (but they’re not cheap.)
Are they that superior to, let’s say Taiyo Yuden silver cd-r’s?
Are TY gold blank discs commonly available in the U.S.?

I was not aware that there was such a thing as a T-Y gold disc.

Honestly, I think this is a moot point to begin with for the following reasons:

1. Even with the best media, if you are doing serious archiving then you are going to want to make multiple copies on different brands of media. Even the best brands / types can be hit by bad batches.

2. If you are thinking of keeping you media around long enough for gold/pthalocyanine to make a difference, you’ll also be pushing into a time when DVDR will become very mature and also viable for long term storage. Therefore it will make sense to re-archive to DVDR anyway.

So if I was you, I’d get two types of very good CD-R discs (say, Prodisc and TY silver) and burn all my archives twice.

And then in 5-10 years, I’d just recopy those to DVDR.

Repeat the same with BD-R in another 5-10 years.

TY stopped produceing any gold reflection layer CD-Rs many years ago (about 6years ago if i am not mistaken). They also never produced Phtalocyanin based discs.

Thanks for the sound advice. It makes sense.
A few articles on the web, by “experts,” have really contributed to the storage media confusion.

Obviously, a lot of this stuff is subjective and/or anecdotal.
Unless they’re using time machines, it’s hard to draw much from these tests.

To say that cyanine discs are a waste and gold is the Holy Grail sounds simplistic. You have millions of people using silver discs now and the sky still hasn’t fallen. Who cares what happens in 300 years anyway?

Is there any opinions on what is the absolute best quality disc to burn real time copies on a stand alone CD burner?