Which Super Multi SATA drive and which DVD-RAM media to buy?

vbimport

I recently upgrade my computer and now have SATA connections. My old LG Super Multi-Drive (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B) is connected using an IDE -> SATA converter, but this slows down the start-up time, and despite telling me what the drive is, I have to press F1 after it tells me it’s not found. It mostly works, but now with the ridiculous prices, I thought it was time to change to a SATA drive.

I’ve been looking at LG drives, but then someone recommended Pioneer as being a reliable brand. So my first contender is the Pioneer DVR-216.

Meanwhile I spotted the Sony DRU-190S retail kit at my local computer shop for just under £30. I then noticed my next contender, the Sony DRU-V200S-BC, which is apparently a better drive.

People seem to have nice things to say about both. Can anyone help me choose or point me at something else? I want to edit DVD-RAMs using the Panasonic MovieAlbum SE and make the odd back-up of audio CDs and also back-ups of my drive to DVD+R.

And while I’m asking… I usually use Panasonic DVD-RAM blanks. Do I need to use something else now that faster DVD-RAM writing is available?

Look forward to hearing your views!

iv had the pioneer dvr 215D sata running for about 5 months now im running on vista 32 with an intel quad no probs at all & iv also got my hl-dt-st on ide as my gigerbyte motherboard suports both i keep it as it seems to like cd+g more than others hope this helps

Hi and Welcome![quote=a.wiseman;2163560] My old LG Super Multi-Drive (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B) is connected using an IDE -> SATA converter, but this slows down the start-up time, and despite telling me what the drive is, I have to press F1 after it tells me it’s not found. [/quote]LG P-ATA drives don’t work well with adapters or add-on controllers.

I’ve been looking at LG drives, but then someone recommended Pioneer as being a reliable brand. So my first contender is the [B]Pioneer DVR-216[/B].
This is a good drive. Please note that the 216D version does not support DVD-RAM writing (crippled by firmware). So see if you can get a non-D drive.
Another option would be a LG GH20NS series drive.

Meanwhile I spotted the Sony DRU-190S retail kit at my local computer shop for just under £30.
Old, recycled Liteon drive. I’d personally prefer the Pioneer (or Renesas LG) for your application.

And while I’m asking… I usually use Panasonic DVD-RAM blanks.
Me Too :slight_smile:
Do I need to use something else now that faster DVD-RAM writing is available?
No. The Panasonic 3x DVD-RAM discs are excellent media.

Michael

Appreciating the replies so far - people really like Pioneer. Thanks to mciahel for the info on the LG P-ATA + interface stuff: I was worried my PC might be at fault.

I started off looking at LG, because I’ve bought them in the past, then saw the reviews for Pioneer and then the new Sony. Then I read a review of the Pioneer claiming it was “not superfast” and even “noisy” with the suggestion that the [B]Samsung SH-S203[/B] is a better option. (But that doesn’t seem to be a consensus view.)

Normally, I really like reading up about stuff I buy and carefully considering all the options before making a choice. But there are so many different DVD burner models, and different views, it’s much harder, which is why i thought I’d consult some experts on here.

(Sounds like I won’t go wrong with a Pioneer, though.)

[QUOTE=a.wiseman;2163560]Meanwhile I spotted the Sony DRU-190S retail kit at my local computer shop for just under £30. I then noticed my next contender, the [B]Sony DRU-V200S-BC[/B], which is apparently a better drive.[/QUOTE]

According to this thread the Sony DRU-V200S is a rebadged Optiarc AD-7200S. The AD-7200 series are very popular on CDFreaks at the moment (read Wendy’s review to see why). The Samsung SH-S203 series would also be a good choice (reviewed here), it was many people’s favorite before the AD-7200 came along.

I have both an Optiarc AD-7200A and a Samsung SH-S202N (PATA version of the 203). The Samsung is noticably quieter than the Optiarc and sounds much smoother.

I have been using the Samsung for over a year and it is the first DVD-Ram drive that has never given me any problems. In fact it managed to rescue 5 DVD-Ram discs (4 of them brand new Verbatim 5x speed) that I had written off after being made completely unusably by my Sony DW-G120 (rebadged Lite-On). :clap: My Optiarc is only a few weeks old and I have not used it enough with DVD-Ram discs, but no problems so far.

If my memory is correct, both the Sony/Optiarc and Samsung drives will read 3x speed DVD-Ram discs at 5x. Most other drives (like your LG) will only read 3x discs at 3x. Also they both use CLV to read & write 5x speed DVD-Ram discs, most other drives use P-CAV and are slower for the first 1.5GB.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2164903]No. The Panasonic 3x DVD-RAM discs are excellent media. [/QUOTE]
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I have been using 3x (& 5x) speed DVD-Ram discs made by Matsushita (Panasonic’s parent company) for nearly 4 years, and in that time I have never had a fault with a disc. Even the oldest ones are still going strong. Before I got the Samsung I experienced a lot of problems with a number of drives, but despite their best attempts I never actually lost any data from a disc. Maxell’s DVD-Ram discs should be just as good, but avoid discs made by anyone else.

In real world use (InCD packet writing, write & verify on) I find 5x speed discs almost twice as fast as 3x discs. But they are only rated at 10,000 overwrites (3x discs are rated at 100,000). Even so I have yet to wear one out. If you want to try some 5x discs they are difficult to find in the UK, and I have only ever seen Verbatim branded discs. You might find them on amazon.co.uk, but cclonline.com appear to have stopped stocking them. I have just found a website called dvd-and-media.com which has them at a good price, but I have never bought anything from them before. If you want Maxell’s 12x DVD-Ram discs then you will probably have to go to Japan.

Thanks Ibex, this thread is turning out to be an education!

I can’t find the Samsung 203 for sale, I don’t know if a newer model has already come out to replace it?

For the Sony, Amazon have the retail version (Nero Essentials, nothing special), which makes it an ideal item to put on my Christmas list (esp. when I have trouble thinking of stuff I’d like)!

The Samsung SH-S203 was replaced by the SH-S223 a few months ago. I think that Play.com might still have some SH-S203 models for ~£20 (inc. delivery).

But if you prefer to buy from Amazon then get the Sony DRU-V200S (or an Optiarc AD-720xS). It won’t be very noisy with DVD-Ram discs because of the low speed. The difference in noise between my Samsung & Optiarc is quite noticable at high speed, but it is mostly the nature of the sound rather than the actual volume. Most of the noise from the Optiarc seems to come from air being sucked in around the edge of the tray.