Which standalone DVD recorder can save in TS format?

Hi mates,
I was thinking to buy a standalone DVD recorder.
I roughly had a look around the net and it seems that Pioneer is one of the best brand for those kind of devices.

Okay…what I don’t know is:
When I’ll start to record form a DVB-T (digital terrestrial) or analogue TV station which will be the container and eventually the codec(s) of those file(s)?
I’d like to save in TS format, transport stream or simple in mpeg, to be able to author my DVD from my PC.

In other word I’m looking for the most compatible DVD recorder despite of its price…

Thanks for any help and clarifications…
Bye,
Stefano.

HMMM, good question, here in the USA there are NO stand alone HD DVD recorders. I think Japan and maybe Australia may have a blu ray recorder but I don’t know if it supports anything besides the BD standard for the disks it makes.
Your probably batter off to get a HDTV card that supports the standards in use in your country and go that route like a HTPC.
I use a older Dvico fusion 3 here and capture my HDTV stuff from QAM cable and then edit it down with video redo and burn to AVCHD format on regular dvd’s and it mostly works great for me. My card captures in the newer? TP standard now but the older drivers used the TS standard. I have also burned the caps to HD-DVD standards and that worked fine as well, I have both types of players here.
If you go this route just about any good pc dvd burner should makes disks that work for you, or you could do a bd burner and have more versatility to make any disk you want.

Hi Dartman and thanks again for your reply… :flower:
I see your point but what I really would like is to be “unplugged” from my PC during the TV recording stage.
I mean, I don’t want to see my PC all the time switched on.
Instead, I’m looking for a standalone “box” that can manage nearly every container and/or format like the PC does…

When I was looking at Dvico web site (as you suggested me) and found this device http://www.tvix.co.kr/eng/ that should suite y needs…
What do you think abut it? Am I going in the right way with it?

Bye and thanks a lot,
Stefano.

I don’t think it can record a disk, but it will play almost any format you can find directly and network the output to any playback device that can handle it as well.
My friend has one and loves it and I saw it work and was rather impressed. I think if you capture HD directly to TS or TP format it will play it back, and if it doesn’t you can convert it to a format it will play easily enough. You’ll still have to use the computer to get things into it and whatever hard drive you add to it but then it can do it’s own thing I’m pretty sure. Here is the LONG discussion about it on AVS http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=981889, there also is the Western Digital unit that is similar but doesn’t network for much cheaper as well.

thanks a lot for your new reply Dartam :flower:
I think that, as soon as I’ll save a few many, I’ll take one of those multimedia devices.

You’ll still have to use the computer to get things into it and whatever hard drive you add to it but then it can do it’s own thing I’m pretty sure

that’s exactly what I wanted to understand…Recording capabilities like all the DVR (digital video recording) devices plus the format compatibility of a PC.

Thanks,
Stefano.

Your welcome, glad it helped. If your down on money you might want to check out the Western Digital one has here it can be found for 100 bucks and there is also several threads about it on AVS as well. It wont network directly and they don’t include a Hard drive like it seems some of the Dvico options might but price is right and it plays about the same stuff.

what about the Lacie ones…?

thanks,
Stefano

I don’t have a clue about those, as long as they work similar to the other two though they should be fine. I bet AVS has a thread on them as well.

okay, thanks a lot again.
I’ll try to read about them in AVS.

Thanks,
Stefano

Your welcome, hope you find something that works well for you. I’m a member there as well but haven’t tried any of those boxes yet, though I’m thinking about it if funds and work pickup again soon.

that’s right…in this case I guess to stay in touch.
In this way, the first of us that will have a chance to try one of those devices will report to the other one…!

Is it right for you too?
Bye,
Stefano.

[QUOTE=stenews;2304195]Hi mates,
I was thinking to buy a standalone DVD recorder.
I roughly had a look around the net and it seems that Pioneer is one of the best brand for those kind of devices.

Okay…what I don’t know is:
When I’ll start to record form a DVB-T (digital terrestrial) or analogue TV station [B]which will be the container and eventually the codec(s) of those file(s)[/B]?
I’d like to save in TS format, transport stream or simple in mpeg, to be able to author my DVD from my PC.

In other word I’m looking for the most compatible DVD recorder despite of its price…

Thanks for any help and clarifications…
Bye,
Stefano.[/QUOTE]

TS is a format for DVB, not any to do with any standalone recorder…

@chef

TS is a format for DVB, not any to do with any standalone recorder…

I see what you mean…that’s why I changed my mind and now I’m looking for a multimedia hard drive that can play and record this kind of audio video container and hopefully much more…

Thanks the same,
Stefano

Some DVB-T PVR will record (and of course replay) in TS format, but what source do you want to record from?

thanks for your reply mate,

…but what source do you want to record from…

basically it should be my Television or my VCR (video cassette recorder) [B]but[/B] remember that I’m always looking for a stand alone device.

So a PVR would be a really good idea, you could even connect your VCR to it and record from that (with some PVR) …