Which set-top dvd will you recommend?

vbimport

hello Ssseth,

i just made four (4) scan using kprobe. check the link —> http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=546734#post546734

first scan: movie little mermaid 1 shows artifacts after an hour of watching the movie on my JVC dvd player.

second scan: movie tarzan written at 4x same thing with the first… artifact on the last 30 mins of the movie.

third scan: same movie tarzan written at 2x. same thing with artifacts.

fourth scan: same movie tarzan written at 1x. works fine with my JVC dvd player but you can see the PI=444 PO=5 seems to me that there should be a problem.

how is that? is there something wrong with my JVC player? i changed the media now from maxell dvd-r to memorex dvd+r and everything works fine.

i need your comments. thanks.

If your player is picky then definatly those results are high (except with that one low results which is a little strange).

Does the movie still display artifacts if you just fast forward to the part that caused issues before?

If not:
I’ve heard this exact same problem recently and it was caused by the DVD player getting too warm after extended viewing. Try taking the DVD player out from where it is and let it breathe.
Watch the movie and then see if that helps.

Originally posted by eap_44
[B]hello Ssseth,

i just made four (4) scan using kprobe. check the link —> http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=546734#post546734

first scan: movie little mermaid 1 shows artifacts after an hour of watching the movie on my JVC dvd player.

second scan: movie tarzan written at 4x same thing with the first… artifact on the last 30 mins of the movie.

third scan: same movie tarzan written at 2x. same thing with artifacts.

fourth scan: same movie tarzan written at 1x. works fine with my JVC dvd player but you can see the PI=444 PO=5 seems to me that there should be a problem.

how is that? is there something wrong with my JVC player? i changed the media now from maxell dvd-r to memorex dvd+r and everything works fine.

i need your comments. thanks. [/B]

I’m not sure that it makes any sense from your scans though. The very first scan showing that error are consistant through out the discs. (Not saying that it’s good, but consistant) IF it cannot read it with those error around 1:00:00, why it can read the first 15 minutes? Your third scan show no obvious bump at 30 minutes also. IF your 811s can still read correctly (kprobe report correct number), it’s likely to be your dvdplayer or your source.

Try couple things first, check that your dvd player get hot? one of posters here found that his dvd-player get really hot after some time and cause all sort of freezing. (I should have realized that when he asked. Because my KOSS DVP player also got really hot after some time and movie start freezing / jumpy everywhere. It went away after i bought a new DC adapter.) Try pulling the dvd player out from cabinet and try it again. Or try instead of watching the movie, try jump directly to the problematic position right after turn on the unit. This way we can tell for sure that it’s the dvd-r or the player.

Man… but your scan looks really horrid though. :eek:

In terms of price/performance, I recommend APEX, as they support many formats and give you the bang for the buck and it usually very tolerant. Of course don’t expect any top features like progressive scan and advanced picture enhancements, but it is more than decent. I have an APEX 1200 and I am very satisfied. Another good oone is the Norcent DP series which also supports many formats.

Your best bet is to consult www.dvdhelp.com and go through the list of players according to features you’re looking for, you’ll find lots of info there.

Originally posted by Androlight
I have succesfully swapped the dvd drive in my Daewoo standalone player. The drive assembly inside is a standard IDE drive.

It would be very interesting if you posted a how to guide on this little exercise.
I’ve poked my head inside a couple of set tops and in some all you have is a little DVD-ROM sitting inside this big empty case.

:bow:

Originally posted by eap_44
[B]hi guys,

i don’t if i am at the right forum. its just that i like this lite-on forum since i have one.

my question is: which dvd player will you recommend? right now i have a jvc xv-s502sl and it keeps on freezing every 2/3 of the movie. i want a reliable but not too expensive set top dvd player.

please help me decide which one should i buy.

thanks.:sad: [/B]

Just recently bought a new XMS888 -> Plays virtually everything, burnt or not. SUperVCD, VCD, MP3.
Oh, and Divx :slight_smile:

Not WMA, rm or mov, but not like I make any or intend to get any of those anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

I still find it absolutely fascinating that 5.1/6.1/7.1 sound still comes from an original stereo recording.
Wow!

Think about it.

Center front speaker = voices only.
Left/right stereo = Main speakers, a little voice, mostly High quality sound.
Left/right rear = no voices, mostly bassy for explosions and echoes.
Subwoofer, only VLF.

Center rear (6.1) and middle left/right(7.1) are simply the same as the Left/Right rear in 5.1 or a weighted combination of the front stereo and the rear speakers.

Not really a technological achievement.

Just think of the space on the dvd’s they could save if they actually threw a little more processing power onto the actual DVD players :stuck_out_tongue: rather than encoding 6 seperate channels, and just used some processing to get the channels from the stereo recording.

Maybe alot of wasted electricity though thru all those DSP chips to seperate the channels at the consumer end;)

well i guess no need to buy for another dvd player. i just changed the media and it works fine for me now. everything i throw using memorex dvd+r works great.

i never had freezing blocks or artifacts during 2/3 of the movie. even heat is no longer a factor. i can watch 2 movies without any problem. i hope those annoying nights will be gone forever.

thanks so much guys.