Which scsi controller?

Hi guys, I was thinking to buy a Plextor 8/20 scsi; I would like to know which controller I should use ( compatible with windowsxp);
is the adaptec2940 good?
Thanks.

You can’t be serious…or are you not able to connect one more ide drive?

Maybe a used Plextor 8/20? Even for used drives, why 8x only? Almost any SCSI PCI/ISA cards with a 50-pin connector would do. Adaptec 2940 is fine. But isn’t even a 40x IDE CD writer cheap enough? Maybe you can get a 16x IDE CD writer for less price than an Adaptec 2940.

Had a plextor 8/20 and 40max a long time ago and used a Diamond UW controller for them. You could buy one of the cheap adaptec 2906 fast SCSI. But seriously, just get a 48x Lite-On.

If you get a SCSI card, I highly reccomend you go Adaptec or Advansys. Why? Because Windows installers always have drivers for those brands. But SCSI is so much more complicated than IDE, it’s not really worth it. Termination, ID pin, etc. I just set up my dual P200 with a SCSI HD since I was out of IDE ones, not fun. Used Adaptec 2940/2940U.

You should be able to pick up a cheap biosless scsi pci card for around $30US on the web, probably less. Tekram are relatively reliable and no problems as yet. I finally managed to break one after 5 years of flawless operation. (I was a bit rough and broke one of the pins on the card when adding a couple of older 250MB HD’s).

The difference between the Adaptec cards and cheap biosless cards is that the adaptec cards have builtin driver support for win98/2k and upwards and biosless cards will not allow you to boot from a scsi device. Given that IDE now has standard support for all OS’s anyway, and has bios support on all motherboards and is cheaper, I can’t imagine why you (personally) would ever want to buy an adaptec scsi card.

I would recommend more expensive adaptec scsi cards if you have a file/database server or are trying to build a high performacne machine. But to simply run a single scsi burner it would be beyond rediculous to pay out the big bucks.
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Originally posted by BadReligionPR
If you get a SCSI card, I highly reccomend you go Adaptec or Advansys. Why? Because Windows installers always have drivers for those brands. But SCSI is so much more complicated than IDE, it’s not really worth it. Termination, ID pin, etc. I just set up my dual P200 with a SCSI HD since I was out of IDE ones, not fun. Used Adaptec 2940U/2940UW.

It’s only complicated if you don’t know how to read.

1. Every device must have a different ID number.
    (The last device on the cable doesn’t have to have the lowest ID. So you can have ( term<- 7 (PCI scsi) ,3 , 2, 6 , 5 ,1 ,4 ->term) )

0-7 for standard scsi
0-15 for wide scsi.
The higher the ID the higher the priority for the device.
IE if 3 and 6 are wanting to transfer information, 6 will have priority and 3 will have to wait for 6 to finish. 7(standard scsi only) and 15(wide only) are usually reserved for the actually PCI scsi card, so don’t set the CD-Writer to 7(on standard scsi) or 15 (if wide scsi)

1. Every scsi bus must be terminated at both ends of the chain.
    All new scsi cards have a builtin scsi terminator for the PCI card.

The scsi CD-Writer will have a jumper for cable signal termination.
This will be a passive terminator. For only the CD-Writer this is fine. You don’t need to worry about active termination.

1. The Power must be terminated.
    Again, the CD-writer will have a power terminator. Set this to active on the burner.

expansion only
If you put Hard disks or dat drives, or anything else later, then you need to use the HD or dat drive at the end of the cable, and use the ACTIVE terminator jumpers for it. Alternatively you can run down to you local computer store and buy a seperate scsi terminator.

As well, you need to look at the power termination as well. It’s sorta complicated as the there are two things which need be messed with, and 6 possible combination to do it!

• to bus
  • from bus
  • to bus + !from bus
  • !to bus + from bus
  • both
  • neither

Again, you only need to the termination at the last device on the cable.

That’s a quick summary of scsi.

Remember 1 device = easy.

More = issues! But once running you can forget about it! Very quick!

Originally posted by alexnoe
You can’t be serious…or are you not able to connect one more ide drive?

I can’t connect other ide devices, and after I’m not particularly interested in burning speed. Plextor 8/20 is a bad unit?
Thanks.
Ps: Of course, it’s a used unit.

I explain better: I can buy it at a reasonable price, I hope and I know that this burner can do safedisc 2.51 and above… if someone can confirm that it can do also audio protected cd, I think it can be a good unit for me ; I have already a Plex2410a.
Thanks for your replies.

What kind of audio protection in CD Audio? I don’t think any current CD-ROM readers can do it. I remember when a Plextor 8/20 was for US$500 in Seoul. It was a good drive and rated as one of the best 8x CD writers.

BTW, debro, that really looks extremely complicated. As of yet, IDE/ATA and USB are the easiest to use and cheapest for the majority of PC users.

Plextor drives and some liteons with latest firmware revision can bypass most of audio protection without problems.
Greetings.

Oh, I didn’t know that. Have to look into the matters. (I’ve never tried to copy any protected discs.)

Originally posted by debro
[B]

It’s only complicated if you don’t know how to read.

1. Every device must have a different ID number.
    (The last device on the cable doesn’t have to have the lowest ID. So you can have ( term<- 7 (PCI scsi) ,3 , 2, 6 , 5 ,1 ,4 ->term) )

0-7 for standard scsi
0-15 for wide scsi.
The higher the ID the higher the priority for the device.
IE if 3 and 6 are wanting to transfer information, 6 will have priority and 3 will have to wait for 6 to finish. 7(standard scsi only) and 15(wide only) are usually reserved for the actually PCI scsi card, so don’t set the CD-Writer to 7(on standard scsi) or 15 (if wide scsi)

1. Every scsi bus must be terminated at both ends of the chain.
    All new scsi cards have a builtin scsi terminator for the PCI card.

The scsi CD-Writer will have a jumper for cable signal termination.
This will be a passive terminator. For only the CD-Writer this is fine. You don’t need to worry about active termination.

1. The Power must be terminated.
    Again, the CD-writer will have a power terminator. Set this to active on the burner.

expansion only
If you put Hard disks or dat drives, or anything else later, then you need to use the HD or dat drive at the end of the cable, and use the ACTIVE terminator jumpers for it. Alternatively you can run down to you local computer store and buy a seperate scsi terminator.

As well, you need to look at the power termination as well. It’s sorta complicated as the there are two things which need be messed with, and 6 possible combination to do it!

• to bus
  • from bus
  • to bus + !from bus
  • !to bus + from bus
  • both
  • neither

Again, you only need to the termination at the last device on the cable.

That’s a quick summary of scsi.

Remember 1 device = easy.

More = issues! But once running you can forget about it! Very quick! [/B]

Seems extremely complicated when compared to IDE. Besides, all I had was drive and controller and the other parts, no directions and it was my first time using it. As all the parts are old no directions on the drive or anything.

It seems pretty complicated, but when you put it into practice, it’s quite easy.

Many people I know complain that IDE is pretty complicated too (don’t laugh too much), and when you factor in the facts about performance issue with HD’s and cdrom’s on the same chain it gets worse.

For a single device on scsi, it’s really easy. Just set termniators to on and ID to something other than 7.

Away you go.

It only gets complicated when you start adding extra devices, cos then you have to decide which device is gonna be at the end, then you have to make sure that the others aren’t terminating power/signal and that the device has active termination, etc,etc.

Yuck. Tech supports nightmare!

Another factor that complicates SCSI-chains, is the transfer speed. Older SCSI-standards with lower transfer rates are less picky when it comes to termination than high-end SCSI adapters that require active termination.

But I don’t think maximino72 would encounter many problems when attaching the UltraSCSI Plex CDR to an Adaptec2940 or equivalent.

Originally posted by Wannes
But I don’t think maximino72 would encounter many problems when attaching the UltraSCSI Plex CDR to an Adaptec2940 or equivalent.

But does he really need the expense of the adaptec 2940?

Expense? People are throwing cards like these away. Go to a used sale like the MIT swapfest (if you live near MA) or something, they’re like $20.

I have no idea what it’s like in the US, but in OZ, everyone is holding on tight.

I was at a place called Caplan Computers here in CT USA(used stuff, not very good prices on most things) and saw boxes of SCSI controllers. Dell OEM 2940UW was $30, and like I said, they had boxes. Surprised that prices are much different in Australia…

Originally posted by BadReligionPR
I was at a place called Caplan Computers here in CT USA(used stuff, not very good prices on most things) and saw boxes of SCSI controllers. Dell OEM 2940UW was $30, and like I said, they had boxes. Surprised that prices are much different in Australia…

Sweet. How come OZ doesn’t get sweet deals like that?
I think that maybe US has a much larger channel and so has a much larger surplus? when a new model comes out.

The australian channel is much smaller, and hence they don’t have a tendency to flood the market as much, more likely to err on the side of caution so they don’t incurr losses.

The 2940UW still retails at around $220au /$110US here. Old technology or no.

See what I mean?

ADAPTEC AHA2940UKIT ADAPTEC PCI ULTRA SCSI HOST ADAPTOR KIT 0 $557.04

source - One of australias cheap places from bargain basement forum

And wow, look at those stock levels!!!