Which RW media for nec 3520a

vbimport

I think I’m gonna get a nec 3520a for my unix system as a backup device. I’d like to order a box of 25 or 50 RW (either +/- - not sure it matters) to use as
media. I’ll be formatting the disk as a ufs filesystem and storing files. I don’t really care about speed (aka 2.4x is fine with me - it’ll do the backup while I sleep) but I do care about reliability (no errors on burn) and moderate durability (aka 4 or 5 years of shelf life would be nice).

I’ll likely get the drive at newegg and was thinking either the ridata 4x -rw or 2.4x +rw. But I’m open to suggestions - they even have fuji 4x rw (but they are 1.70 a disk).

Same answer. BTW, bad form to post in two places, but don’t fret, we were all new once.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1015253&postcount=4

But they guy in the newbie forum told me to post it here :frowning: Now that I posted it here you tell me not to :frowning:

Btw thanks for the recommendation. With regards to usage I figure i would rotate through the disk doing a backup once a month and then reuse when i get to the end of the stack - hence rw - maybe i would be better off just using R and throwing them away at the end of the rotation. Do you think R would last much longer ?

Your system sounds good as far as utilizing +RWs. Most people have found that an RW disc will fail all at once and your method will cull out any problems on a fairly regular basis. Write once discs will last longer but no one yet knows for sure. I don’t think many people here would use R discs and throw them away; too wastful. As long as you are using RWs you might want to do two back ups unless the system you use gets to each disc every 6 months or so. I would want to check them twice a year. BTW, it is very possible they will last 4 years. It is just more risky with RW media.