Which recorder to buy? LG GH-20NS or Pioneer DVR-126DBK

vbimport

Hi there,
my old NEC (Optiarc) 7173 has seen his best times, so it is time to get a new DVD recorder.

What i want is a recorder which is good at reading old or damaged CD and DVD Media and has a good burning quality.

So i have found two models which could satisfy my needs: the LG GH-20NS and the Pioneer DVR-216DBK.

The Pro’s on the side of the LG is that it is around 10€ cheaper and easier to get, the Pro’s on the side of the Pioneer is that it has the Optimal Writing Speed Utility (dont know if it makes a great difference).

Is there a great difference between the two recorders?

Sometimes i want to mae backups of my Wii games and stuff with that recorder.

Mostly i use Datawrite DVD-R 16x and burn them on 8x if this helps you pro’s.

So which one should i take?

[QUOTE=darkside40;2179612]my old NEC (Optiarc) 7173 has seen his best times, so it is time to get a new DVD recorder.[/QUOTE]
Maybe a NEC Optiarc AD-720xA (IDE) or AD-720xS (SATA) (x=0,1,3) would be also a good idea if you’d like a new NEC / Optiarc. The AD-720x series seems to be good burners. I’m happy with my AD-7203A.

[QUOTE=darkside40;2179612]So i have found two models which could satisfy my needs: the LG GH-20NS and the Pioneer DVR-216DBK.[/QUOTE]
In this case I’d go an get the DVR-216D. A good drive, I have one 216D and tested it and the results were good. But since I’m currently limited with external USB/Firewire/eSATA enclosures my DVR-215 went back to this enclosure after finishing my tests…

[QUOTE=darkside40;2179612]The Pro’s on the side of the LG is that it is around 10€ cheaper and easier to get, the Pro’s on the side of the Pioneer is that it has the Optimal Writing Speed Utility (dont know if it makes a great difference).[/QUOTE]
I had one LG drive, the Firmware support was not very well, two updates and that was it… LG brings almost every day a new drive and the product cycles are very short. For me too short. I do not want to buy every few month a new drive to have an “up to date” media database…

[QUOTE=darkside40;2179612]Is there a great difference between the two recorders?[/QUOTE]
The firmware support of Pioneer is good, and I do not have any problems with my DVR-x15 burners. The results are also good.

[QUOTE=darkside40;2179612]Mostly i use Datawrite DVD-R 16x and burn them on 8x if this helps you pro’s.[/QUOTE]
I only use Verbatims or genuine Taiyo Yuden media. Thats the best choice :slight_smile:
If I need a coaster for my beer I use cheap crappy media from the local food discounter :stuck_out_tongue:

THX for the fast reply, i think the Pioneer will make it.

Just looked at the LG website and didn’t find any update etc. for the GH-20NS.

The new NEC woould be a choice but i have no retailer near me (Gelsenkirchen, Germany) where i could purchase it directly.

So i will call my local Shop and ask them if they can get me one pioneer.

IF RAM is of importance don’t buy a NEC, they have problems rereading RAM media and corupt the data sometimes. The GH20 is in my experience on par with Pioneer 215, I have both. Firmwaresupport is low but if it works whats the problem. Faster media than 16x are not to expect for the future. Cause the 215 is imho yet still the better burner compared to the 216 I would rather take the LG. If you can buy a 215 which is already difficult in Germany I would recomment the 215 as first choice, the GH20 as second and the NEC (if RAM is not important) as third. Advantage NEC over LG and Pioneer testing abilities.

I now have the 216DBK just flashed the newest FW 1.09 and looking forward for the first burning results with the crappy Datawrite discs :wink:

Atleats they have TTH02 as Menufacturer ID :smiley:

TM you were right with the beer coaster.

The results are even worse than with the NEC. I think i make some modern arte out of the Datawrites and order some Verbatim.

Just a little hint would be great: How does this optimal Writing Speed Utility work? Do i just have to enable it or what?

[QUOTE=darkside40;2179666]The new NEC woould be a choice but i have no retailer near me (Gelsenkirchen, Germany) where i could purchase it directly.[/QUOTE]
If I remember correctly I got my NEC drive from Comuteruniverse.de , it was the same order I got my DVR-216D. For me Computeruniverse has very interesting prodcts with fair prices.

With the optimal Writing Speed Utility I can not help you since I made only a few burns with my 216. I currently have only two external enclosures having the capability using SATA drives…

Just testet the Optimal Writing Speed Utility and it works, even the results with the Datawrite are “okay” for now, althought there were much less PI failures with the Sony Media even without the Utility.

Just ordered 100 pieces Verbatim DVD-R 16x looking foreward for there results.