Which programs can do correct MP3-decodong

Hey, there are many burning programs that decode your mp3’s and burn directly a audio cd, based on your mp3’s. But not all programs can do coorect mp3-decoding. For instance, Nero can’t do that: the output cd has some problems around 16 kHz. So I want to know which program can do that correct.
So: Have BlinWrite, Alcohol, CDRWin and other programs that can burn audiocd’s based on MP3’s a correct mp3-decoding part?

Feurio is the best.
It also checks for errors and shows their position.

Do you’ve got a test or something which showes this result?

Well, I compared the wave files decoded with Feurio, Winamp 2.666, Fraunhoffer 1.9 and Nero 5.5.
Feurio, Winamp and Fraunhoffer 1.9 (decoded with EAC) results were almost identical but Nero were clearly different. (Winamp had 3 or 4 samples different from Feurio and Fraunhoffer, so nothing important I guess).
(Fraunhoffer and Winamp 2.666+ are ISO compliant decoders.)

Feurio probably even beat Fraunhoffer and Winamp when decoding LAME VBR files. The WAV’s length was different, but Feurio’s decoded WAV length was the same as the original WAV, so I guess it’s “more correct” than Fraunhoffer.

I read in another group a message by Jens Fangmeier (the creator of Feurio) where it was obvious that he was aware that all decoders should produce the same WAV if the original MP3 is the same. And I think it’s the help that it says that the Feurio decoder is based on the Fraunhoffer routines.

To compare the WAVs I used the EAC’s “Compare WAVs” tool.

By the way, how do you know that Nero has problems decoding MP3s?
a test in internet or your own tests?

I’ve looked at a test on the internet. Unfortunatly, the site is not online anymore, but you can access it through the history of google:
http://www.google.nl/search?q=cache:eBjm27VHk-cC:privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~djmrob/mp3decoders/decoders_nero.html+nero+mp3+quality&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8

I searched at “mp3 quality nero”

Use Winamps .wav output plugin. It’s the most accurate decoder.

“Give Decoding a Second Thought”
http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/article.php?sid=99

Unfortunately the wonderful source of info for the article seems to be missing from the web, but you can read my summary of the results at the link above.

Originally posted by cmyden
It’s the most accurate decoder.
[/B]

As accurate as Fraunhoffer 1.9 or Feurio…
And Feurio is a lot easier and faster to decode and Burn: you can choose to decode before burning or ‘on the fly’. It has the best burning engine as well.

Winamp is a pain to decode to WAV…

True, true. I usually burn CDs with whatever burning software icon is closest to my mouse, as I doubt I could ever hear the difference between different decoders.

Personally my favorite burning engine is Prassi, which can be found in the free software “Sony CD Extreme” (among others).

I like it because I burn CDs with filenames up to 212 characters in length (nice for MP3s).

I’m not sure which decoding engine it uses though. I tried Googling for it but couldn’t find anything.

Personally my favorite burning engine is Prassi, which can be found in the free software “Sony CD Extreme”

I like the Prassi burning engine very much, although I prefer the RAM buffer system.
I use it for the 212 characters issue. But for audio is very limited: no editor and no normalization (I think).

I’m not sure which decoding engine it uses though

Well, we know that the produced WAV from the same MP3 should be the same, as that old web comparing decoders said.
So, I’ve just burned a couple of MP3s with Stomp RecordNow MAX4 (that it probably uses the same decoder as any other Prassi program), and it seems that the decoder is something based on Fraunhoffer, as Winamp or Feurio.

The only differences are in the length and “repeated” samples, according to EAC’s “Compare WAVs” tool, when compared to Feurio’s WAVs. So, the only problems could be in the start and end of songs…
This is with a CBR MP3 and VBR LAME MP3.

Another problem is that Winamp 2.666 decodes perfectly, but 2.74 not.
I think that I have all settings default and no equalizer, so maybe there are differences between Winamp versions. I wouldn’t trust Winamp until checked.

Originally posted by ernstblaauw
[B]I’ve looked at a test on the internet. Unfortunatly, the site is not online anymore, but you can access it through the history of google:
http://www.google.nl/search?q=cache:eBjm27VHk-cC:privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~djmrob/mp3decoders/decoders_nero.html+nero+mp3+quality&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8

I searched at “mp3 quality nero” [/B]

Yeah, I came across this site as well… I tried mailing the guy (His new domain is now: www.david.robinson.org) but the email address he provides is ‘unrouteable’… :frowning:

While it would be nice to have a good burning program and mp3 decocder rolled into one, if you care about quality this is not (yet) an option. I’ve tried quite a few, but none if them decoded as well as I wanted. I’ve settled on a two step method: first decode, then burn to audio cd.

By far the best decoder is the LAME decoder (make sure it’s 3.92 and NOT 3.93). After decoding just burn with your favorite burning program. I don’t know if there is any difference between them in burning audio cd’s. I always used Feurio, but will probably use Plextools for my future CD’s.

Originally posted by MTR
While it would be nice to have a good burning program and mp3 decocder rolled into one, if you care about quality this is not (yet) an option. I’ve tried quite a few, but none if them decoded as well as I wanted. I’ve settled on a two step method: first decode, then burn to audio cd.

As that web says, the quality should be the same wether you use one decoder or another:

http://216.239.33.100/search?q=cache:_baDmYN4WV0C:privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~djmrob/mp3decoders/intro.html+&hl=es&ie=UTF-8

"This site contains test results on a number of mp3 decoders. Such a test wouldn’t be necessary if all decoders worked properly, but unfortunately they don’t. In fact the outputs of many popular decoders were found to be incorrect.
a given MPEG-1 layer 3 stream (typically an .mp3 file on a PC) should always decode to a certain uncompressed digital audio signal (typically a .wav file on a PC). Apart from rounding errors in the last bit (i.e. +1 or -1 on a scale ranging from –32768 to +32767 for 16-bit audio) the output should be exact.
Every decoder should produce the same result. They don’t. So, which decoders do produce correct results, and how bad are the ones that don’t? "

There’s no need to divide in a 2 step process if you use the proper program. Feurio is a perfect decoder, so there’s no need to use another. (It seems that EZCD4 or Prassi also uses Fraunhoffer decoder).
If LAME sounds different then it’s LAME failing (or maybe you prefer that sound but that’s not the standard), although that web says that LAME also decodes well. (I couldn’t come to the same conclusion comparing WAVs with LAME 3.9?, but probably I did something wrong)

I checked out that site before (seems like years ago, so I don’t remember the exact content anymore). It clearly states that decoders should decode to the same stream, but that they don’t. Same as with encoders, there is clearly a difference between methods used and their results.
All I know is that decoders do differ. As for the difference between 3.92 and 3.93 it is more an encoding difference when using the -alt presets. Maybe the decoding engine is identical stil.

that decoders should decode to the same stream, but that they don’t. Same as with encoders

No. Encoders aren’t supposed to give the same result.
Decoders should. And if they don’t, then they are wrong.
If LAME decodes different from Fraunhoffer 1.9 (Winamp2.666+, Feurio, EZCD4) then it’s LAME wrong.

@Minix

Originally posted by MTR
Same as with encoders, there is clearly a difference between methods used and their results.

If you read the whole sentence, it makes sense what he says. As we all know, encoders differ from each other. That is because the encoding part is not determistic. The decoding part is deterministic, which means that all decoders should give the same output. According to the tests of the audio engineer David Robinson apparently they don’t give all the same output. So some decoders are wrong… (if his tests are correct of course).

Not really, I get many useful tool, most better than Mp3 decoder.

Use the MAD decoder http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/mpeg/

or the WinAmp decoder. Winamp uses the FhG decoder, and there is not much (if at all) difference in the two.

In the same web, there’s a list with ISO/IEC 11172-3 compliant audio decoders:
http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/mpeg/compliance/

If you will, please check out “Rarewares… A collection of hard-to-find pieces of audio software”.

Please note that there are NO illegal warez or anything on the site(the author says so in the FAQ too).

The site is at http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/

The best tool I found there was “LameDropXPD” - something similiar to OggDrop if you have ever used it.

Drag’N’Drop, customizable options (just right-click the program box), and easy decode. Uses lame 3.92, and is cooooooooooooool. (sorry)

:smiley: