Which Processor?!?!?

vbimport

I am in the market for a new processor. I'm kind of stuck. Do i get the intel or the amd. Gaming is not an issue. I want to run regular tasks as fast as possible. I've gotten my motherboard picked out. Its got 400mhz fsb. I'm getting PC2100 ram. Now I need a good processor. I burn a lot. Run office programs alot, and occasionaly capture video. My budget for this processor shouldn't go over $170 american. That budget will fit either a XP 2000, 1900 or an Intel 1.8ghz, 1.7ghz. I would like to hear everybodys suggestions. I'm in bit of slump right now. Thanks

And I dont think "I hate intel, get amd" or "I hate amd, get intel"
If you say that I'd lile to hear a reason. Im doing my reasearch:)

im pretty much a novice, but i know this:
1 MHz of Pentium 3 or 4 = 1.5 MHz of AMD athalon
[or near 1.5]

ie: a P4 2000MHz gives a worse performance in comparison to a 1.4 MHz AMD

This means AMD are cheaper than Intel :wink:

If you want to waste money, get a P4. They don’t need as much cooling as AMD’s, so they are quieter. If you’re after a bit more power, AMD are a better choice (you get more power/cost).

But it sounds you’ve picked a P4 mobo, since it has 400Mhz FSB…

yes airhead is right

i know of my fellow friends and family with different specs and amd seams to be the upfront for now … but they need a power station to keep them cool :rolleyes:

its your choice mate.

Only intel makes 400mhz fsb motherboards? If they do. I will get the intel chipset. A better motherboard uses the processor to it’s fullest potential. Are there any other manufacturer that make 400mhz fsb motherboards. If so, which is the best?

Check out this page and read some reviews, to find out what board you need. First you need to decide what processor you want, because you need different boards for different cpus.

The FSB on the mobo is important, but system performace in total must be whats important, not the fsb? :confused:

You still have the AGP bus which currently can’t go over 284 Mhz so 400Mhz FSB is quite useless I’m afraid…

Originally posted by shuebhussain
[B]im pretty much a novice, but i know this:
1 MHz of Pentium 3 or 4 = 1.5 MHz of AMD athalon
[or near 1.5]

ie: a P4 2000MHz gives a worse performance in comparison to a 1.4 MHz AMD

This means AMD are cheaper than Intel :wink: [/B]

GET REAL !!! Where do you live … in a cave !

well; not in Aarhus

Well, AMD processors are faster, cheaper, but hotter. But remembering, 400FSB is not really 400FSB, it’s 1004 FSB, just like the 266FSB on AMD processor is 1332 (133 DDR). AMD processors have more power and are more cost-effective than the intel ones.
The cooling noise may annoy some people (I’m used to it, and I use a 7000RPM screamer), but there are more silent cooling options (that are a little more expensive, but STILL are cheaper than intel).
If going the AMD route, look for boards based on the VIA KT333 (High-performance) (Best choice IMO: the new Soyo Dragon MoBo)or, my personal favorite, SiS 735/745 (Stable as a rock and almost as fast). (My choice: ECS K7S5A(735) MSI 745 Ultra (745)) (The 745 is faster but doesn’t have onboard networking. The 745 is also more overclockable)
If going the Intel route (which I think would be a waste of money, even if 400FSB sounds tempting, it’s really slower even in “real FSB rate”), you should look for SiS 645DX chipset motherboards.

I recommend AMD based on personal experience (Have a XP at home that works really fast and works at 105-110F (40-45C) on almost 40C environmental conditions).

If you have already selected Intel P4 I will leave it at that. Its is a fine processor lately.

There are two P4 cores in circulation. Northwood and Willamette.

Willamette is the ‘‘Old’’ core and is primarily recognisable by its 256Kb L2 cache.

Northwood is the new core and has 512Kb L2 and 0,13micron die size. There are other differences but this should suffice.

If you have selected a good motherboard and some decent memory you need to look no further than a 1,6GHz P4 Northwood. It will overclock to 2,3GHz without a hitch and it is virtually unburnable due to superior heat management. I just put a comp together with one and it wasnt even hot at 2,14GHz.