Which Power Supply

Hi! I know next to nil about power supplies. I have a computer that xp stops the install after it says it’s checking my hardware. I’ve tried 3 different disks with the same result. All my hardware checks out—I’ve run extensive tests. The only thing I haven’t checked is the power supply. It’s an Okia 500 watts. Somebody on a forum said I should get a new power supply. Now, I’m not a gamer—I just use the video card for simulcasts and viewing pics and small movies, but I am using a pcie card. What is a good power supply for $50 or less? Ir doesn’t have to be this year’s model—I’m sure I could find a $60 to $80 previous year’s model on ebay. Also, what are good brands to look at, and avoid, if I decide to spend a little more. My specs are:

ASUS M2V-MX SE
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Super Talent 2048MB DDR2 800MHZ
Western Digital WD800JD 80GB SATA2
Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS 512 mb
Lite-on 20X DVD-RW
Okia A-Power 500 Watt Power Supply

Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome To CDFreaks

I am not familiar with the Okia brand

Thermaltake and Cooler Master are the 2 brands I use.
Depending on which one I find on sale.

500 Watt’s should be fine for what you have.

Seasonic S12-II 430W (non modular), Corsair HX 520W , http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=110 are solid choices.
//Danne

Have a read about at some reviews which can help. OCZ and Corsairs PSUs normally get good write ups, haven’t read many for a while though.

Thanks for the responses. I know Okia is a cheap psu----just googled it and you can get it for $10—one of the primary reasons this computer was such a good buy—$286 a little over a year ago. I’ve been trying to find reviews, and the few I’ve found mention the 5 brands you mention, but at high prices. Thanks.

This is a good deal:
PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS370X 370W ATX12V 80 PLUS Certified $40 FS.

If you can find it the Nspire Xtreme series 750 watt ia a solid supply as well. I believe the tough power 750 is the same unit for much more money. Modular cables, 80 percent efficient, 140 mm fan thats dead quiet etc.
I paid about 100 for mine a couple of years or close ago and I’ve seen them online for that or maybe a little less now. Mine hasn’t missed a beat yet and I’m running a AMD 9600 quad core, ATI 3870x2, 4 gig of ram, 5 HD’s, 6 opticals in a stacker case with 2 120mm fans and whatever else I forgot.
It might be a little over your budget but you might be able to find a good deal on one of them by now on Ebay or elsewhere.

[QUOTE=Blakes7;2312534]Thanks for the responses. I know Okia is a cheap psu----just googled it and you can get it for $10—one of the primary reasons this computer was such a good buy—$286 a little over a year ago. I’ve been trying to find reviews, and the few I’ve found mention the 5 brands you mention, but at high prices. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The most important thing in a computer is the power supply and how the power is distributed on the 12v rail.

The bottom line is how much do you value the other aspects of your system, as cheaper power supplies will deteriorate other components of your PC faster because of the inefficiencies of the power distribution on the 12v rail.

The choice is yours to make.

:cool::cool:

He doesn’t need a 700W PSU. Even a quality 300W Seasonic will do the trick and have plenty left over.

I have been using an Antec EarthWatts 380 watt PS for over a year and it has been rock solid. It runs three hard drives, two DVD drives, an ATI 1650 video card, a couple of add-in cards, four DDR2 RAM sticks and an E6700 CPU over clocked to 3.6 ghz. They are 80+% efficient and can be found for around $40 with free shipping.

I used to run a similar tower back before dual core and the new super power video cards with a 300 watt Antec, one of the very first ones that they included with their nice value line tower cases. I think I had 4 to 6 HD’s 6 opticals and a TI 4200 card in it and it worked fine for about 3 years then the 5 volt or something died.
Later I popped it open and found a cracked solder joint on one of the main power grounds and re flowed it and it worked again for another 2 years or more before finally dieing, and I’m still not positive whether it or the board it was powering actually went.
You don’t always need huge wattage depending on what your powering but clean consistent power that can keep up with the load.
Now with BIG video cards and quad cores and things I like to have plenty of reserve so now I go with that 750. I know it will power just about any stupid thing I can slap in the case and come back for more, and I like to have plenty of goodies in here :cool: I mentioned it becuase I think it is truly a bang for buck over kill power supply that can be used for many upgrades that most people don’t know exists. By the way, they claim it has 4 12 volt rails as well.

300 Watt would probably be enough and fall into your price range.

But I would suggest at least a 500 Watt to have that little extra, and if you look around I am sure you can find a good one that will still fall into your price range.

[QUOTE=Blakes7;2312429]Hi! I know next to nil about power supplies. I have a computer that xp stops the install after it says it’s checking my hardware. I’ve tried 3 different disks with the same result. All my hardware checks out—I’ve run extensive tests. The only thing I haven’t checked is the power supply. It’s an Okia 500 watts. Somebody on a forum said I should get a new power supply. Now, I’m not a gamer—I just use the video card for simulcasts and viewing pics and small movies, but I am using a pcie card. What is a good power supply for $50 or less? Ir doesn’t have to be this year’s model—I’m sure I could find a $60 to $80 previous year’s model on ebay. Also, what are good brands to look at, and avoid, if I decide to spend a little more. My specs are:

ASUS M2V-MX SE
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Super Talent 2048MB DDR2 800MHZ
Western Digital WD800JD 80GB SATA2
Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS 512 mb
Lite-on 20X DVD-RW
Okia A-Power 500 Watt Power Supply

Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Without seeing what it does when it says to cause it to stop is hard to tell it could be other hardware causing the problem or PS. Best if to if you can get a hold a brand name PS and try it again and see what comes up. I think if you can find a decent one at 300-400 Watt and try again to see if it doesn’t do it again. How long have you had your motherboard and video card and hardwares? Also avoid Ebay there been scams on there as well you should look at Newegg for PS.

Thanks for the responses. I’ve tried another cd drive, and also I borrowed 2 other xp install disks and tried them—with the same results. I don’t have any problems running the computer, so I really don’t think it’s the power supply. It doesn’t make any sense to me. I may have remembered something that maybe(?) is the cause of the problem. I had Mandriva linux on this before, dual booting, and removed it according to a Mandriva site. I still had the grub loader. I used supergrub to change the boot back to xp’s boot loader—at least I think that did it. Could that be the problem—that grub is just “masked” and not really removed, and the xp install is reading this, so it won’t install?

Sure all off topic.[QUOTE=Blakes7;2407497]Thanks for the responses. I’ve tried another cd drive, [B]and also I borrowed 2 other xp install disks[/B] and tried themthe same results. ?[/QUOTE]Hmm, must be the first time I heard you’r allowed to install 3 of the same (different discs/serials ofcorse) windoze OS’s on the same computer… :rolleyes: What is this all about (note, a question from a nowdays all Linux user).
Think you better get in touch with Bills M$cosoft.

This thread smells fishy. :rolleyes:

Take your fingers away from your nose. If you read the entire thread you would know that there are not 3 different os’s on one computer. Three different install disks were used to ascertain if there was a problem with the install disk. You should read the entire thread before making allegations.

Problem solved! I had uninstalled Mandriva, removed GRUB with Suoergrub, BUT i didn’t delete the linux partitions. DOH! It seems windows installer freaks out if it encounters a linux partition—can’t handle a competing os I guess. I went into computer management and deleted the linux partitions, rebooted and—VIOLA, the install went seamlessly. Thanks for all the responses.