Which Plextor DVD burner(s) do you currently use?

I’d like to see if there are enough non-PX716 owners out there to make a dare/shootout thread worthwhile…? You can select multiple options in the poll, but only (please) if the burner in question is still in use, and not retired/sold/in mom’s PC.

Great preparation for the dare thread, ftp. :stuck_out_tongue:

My 712A is retired but I can put it back if needed!! :stuck_out_tongue:
So I choose both 712A and 716A. :wink:

Since you still have access to it, that’s fair.

Hey, now that Hamp’s 712 has been ground up into Plextor-dust, the dare might show who’s the new 712 King. I always thought you were my only competition! :bigsmile:

740 owners: Sorry, but since it can’t scan, it can’t join in the dare. If we do have a shootout, I would ignore CD-DVD Speed/K-Probe scans to limit the scanning to the ODD the disc was burned in.

That’s not fair then. :stuck_out_tongue: But to be a little diplomatic, it’s a BenQ drive. Not because it can’t scan.

I would ignore CD-DVD Speed/K-Probe scans to limit the scanning to the ODD the disc was burned in.
Are we going to discuss the scanning software and scoring method here in this thread? I don’t think I’m going to disagree with any of those softwares, and including 740 joining the upcoming thread. Perhaps BenQ people can join here too by flashing their drive to 740 and the Plextor forum will surpass BenQ again. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t own a PLEXTOR 716 or 712 because the cost of those I can buy 2 BENQ 1640’s! :smiley: I do own and still use from time to time the PLEXTOR 708A drive. It’s great dvd burner and is actually a better reader for discs that are scratched. :wink: :slight_smile:

Hey! ! ! I’m still crying over my 712 being gone!! ! !
:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :sad: :sad: :sad:

But the 708 doesn’t scan either!

After re-thinking…

• 708A: a Plextor drive, can’t scan, can’t do 12x/16x
  • 712A: a Plextor drive, can scan, can’t do 16x, can’t do 12x on DVD-R.
  • 740: not a Plextor drive, can’t scan, can do 16x
  • 716A: a Plextor drive, can scan, can do 16x.

So what are we fighting for in the dare/shootout thread? :confused: :stuck_out_tongue:

Can the 708a scan with Plextools XL?

No. Its’ a question of the drive, not one of the software in this case.

+R 8x burning and read transfer rate test? :smiley:

It started in the Scans thread with my assertion that a 712’s burns would show better results than a 716’s burns at the same speed using the same media. After that, it got really complicated and my interest in starting a 712 vs 716 thread dropped to zero. I’ll contribute if there is one, though.

still use the 12 and the 16 now they sent me a new one and its been ok so far :slight_smile:

also i only use 8x`s so not used the 12 or 16 for that mater

as ever sc00terx

if the burner in question is still in use, and not retired/sold/in mom’s PC.
I guess you mean for burning? I need my plextor 716 only for scanning … i have several other drives that are better for burning …

my 708A and 712A are both still in use in my other machines. but my primary computer I am using a BenQ 1640.

use my 708UF, two 716As…checked other cause i didn’t want to leave my Premium out even though you only asked about DVD burners… :wink:

Hey guys, just wanted to share, from the Bargain Basement forum: Plextor PX-716A lowest price: $79.99 @Bestbuy

I do not understand… seems like my 740A is not even on the map…
But I like that drive really much…
Does nobody here use 740A?.

*EDIT: Now I saw ftp1020’s pos about 740.
It can’t scan, but to me that is not important.
Important is passing as “no errors” on isobuster.

Your PLEXTOR 740A is a REBADGED BENQ 1640 drive. Crossflash it to the BENQ 1640 then I think you can do scans. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong about that. :slight_smile: :wink: