Which Philips to buy?

I am ready to switch from NEC to Philips/BENQ but i am confused with all those model numbers. I can get more or less only Philips here but i dont know which one is the best, PBDV1660 (is this DVDR 1660?) or PBDV1668? 1668 has LightScribe but i dont plan to buy LS media so i dont care about LS. Is 1660 better for crossflashing and firmware upgrades? What about SPD6000FD and DVDRWSPD2400, are they any good?

I would also like to know which BENQ-equivalent chipset is in each model…

Hi,

Yepp. Philips’ naming scheme is confusing. Have a look at http://www.storageupdates.philips.com/en/dvdrw.html maybe then things get clearer.

I can get more or less only Philips here but i dont know which one is the best,
1660 and 1668 are of same quality. Like their brothers from Benq, 1650 and 1655. If you don’t need lightscribe, the 1660 is okay.

What about SPD6000FD and DVDRWSPD2400, are they any good?
These are Liteon-drives. Also have a good look at the names:
[I]DVDR1668[B]P[/B]1 is a Philips/Benq drive.
DVDR1668[B]L[/B]1 is a Liteon/Sony drive.[/I]
The marketing names make things slightly easier.:wink:

I would also like to know which BENQ-equivalent chipset is in each model…

DVDR1668P1 (DVDR1668K, DVDR1668, PBDV1668B) is the same hardware as Benq DW1655
DVDR1660P1 (DVDR1660K, DVDR1660, PBDV1660B) is the same hardware as Benq DW1650

Michael

BenQ DW1650/1655 and Philips DVDR1660P/1668P all use same chipset, the Philips Nexperia PNX7862EL.
What differs is the firmware and LightScribe hardware in LS capable drives.

BTW, I bought Philips DVDR1660P1 a few weeks back and it’s a great drive when on Philips P1.5 firmware. :smiley:

I see, thanks for clarification and for the fw page. I can see 6000/2400/8003 series are LiteON. I think i will get 1660, because its more popular and firmware may be easier to get. Are there any benefits with 1668 over 1660 besides LS?

One more question – what do you think about Pioneer 111? I know its Benq forum, so please try to be objective. :slight_smile:

Can i crossflash Philips with BENQ firmware to get 16x read speed? NEC spoiled me with this speed so i am not so happy to get back to 12x with Philips… I hope writing quality remains if i do that?

No. Same with Benq 1650/1655.

Can i crossflash Philips with BENQ firmware to get 16x read speed?
It should be possible to xflash
Philips 1660 to Benq 1650 and vice versa (done this successfully) and
Philips 1668 to Benq 1655

But is the Philips firmware really locked? If I were you, I’d try first with stock firmware before xflashing to Benq.

Michael

I will try and also i plan to backup original just in case… Is there any difference between various BENQ firmwares? Some people are saying new ones are not so good, but then again others are saying new are better. Philips is 12x i believe and it has no WOPC, also i am not sure if it supports overburn which is enabled with BENQ.

And I would try “increase read speed” in ala42’s MCSE. :bigsmile:

:rolleyes:
BTW, overburn is only made possible by [I]software[/I] (CD Speed and ImgBurn for BenQ 164*/165* atm). Can’t see why Philips 166* drives wouln’t be able to do that also, in future.
:smiley:

Aha, i learn something new with every post! :slight_smile: So you can increase read speed and media recording speed with MCSE. For overburning i believe too Philips can support it and maybe there is even a way to enable DVD-R overburning. That would be interesting since -R media can hold few MB more than +R. But i would like to test overburn when i get the drive, so i will probably flash it to BENQ. Do i need to do something special or just take BENQ firmware and flash away?

Yes, you need BQFlasher in order to xflash your Philips to Benq firmware (or vice versa). There is a “[B]Read First[/B]” thread about that.

Btw: Overburning is not a good idea, as most media is going to get bad at the edges. So the probability to lose data is much higher, if there are more data that specified. Many people let 100MB free to preserve readability of their data.

Michael

I ordered my Philips 1660 few minutes ago. :slight_smile:

With overburning i have varying experience with CDR and for DVDR media in general i would dare to trust something important only on TY or Verbatim. Maybe Prodisc too but only after testing them. I believe small overburns cant hurt (must be 4493+ on 165x), more problematic are extremes like 4600 MB or so. For really important data i make 2 copies + CRC files with Quickpar. Its similar to RAR recovery volumes but much bigger, like 20%+.

Ill read FAQ before i flash. :slight_smile:

Crap i need to wait till friday or even monday or tuesday, but i ordered some more media to test it with. :slight_smile:

I want to see how much it can overburn. LIGHTING UK! (author of Img Tool and DVD Decrypter) told me overburn should work with any drive supporting this feature, not only with Benq so i will test it with Philips firmware first.

I got it, flashed it to BCFC BENQ fw after a few tests and it works good. Only thing which i dont get is how do i write to Verbatim 16x (MCC 004) at 16x? It always writes them at 12x. I often need to write @ 16x when i record some nonsense for the friends and so on. Also i noticed writing is slower if i choose 16x instead of 12x.

No problem here to write MCC004 at 16x speed with latest Philips P1.5 firmware. :slight_smile:
But it’s rather slow though, (7’+) with everything enabled.

Media Verbatim branded with sn/PAPA****** (CMC?)
Note, firmware is read speed patched (MCSE).

My Verbatim DVD+R 16x cannot be written @ 16x, i tried with BCFC, BCHC and Philips 1.5 firmwares. Also Philips firmware cannot turn WOPC off and quality testing is limited to 1x speed only. With BENQ fw i can at at higher speeds.

If i turn all OFF (SB, OS, WOPC), results can be really bad… Is this normal if all is turned OFF? Speed was under 6 min, but results are crap. When i turned WOPS ON it was ok and also some burns were ok if i had SB ON / WOPC OFF but in that case i think its better to write at 4x, 8x or 12x, not 16x. I think SB always reduces speed from 16x to 12x.

After some more testing i came to conclusion you need SolidBurn ON and WOPC ON to be safe. In some cases you can disable WOPC but then you better enable SolidBurn or else you may get unreadable disc (pic above).

On the other hand, you can disable SolidBurn when WOPC is enabled. Results may be the same or similar if media is in firmware database. If not, its better to leave SolidBurn ON for unknown media. SolidBurn for known media may help when there are more than one production line and quality of the same brand.

OverSpeed also enables SolidBurn so i dont see any benefit enabling it for 16x media. Maybe it helps with old 4x media when there is hard limit to 4x speed in firmware, but then again SolidBurn will reduce speed, no matter if OverSpeed is enabled or not. In other words, pretty much useless feature for new media. May be useful for old.

So in conclusion - i observe nice improvement in quality on 16x media, only thing which i dont like is increased recording time. There are ways to speedup the process by disabling SolidBurn and WOPC but in most cases it is not recommended. After few more bad DVDs regular user will just leave all ON to be on the safe side.

QSuite 2.1 could be improved by checking all IDE devices at startup. If you have BENQ as a slave drive and some other as a master you will get unneeded ‘sorry BENQ drives only’ message since application checks only the first drive.

Sorry to read you still have a lot of problems fahrenheit. :rolleyes:

You started this thread with questions about Philips drives and ended up with general questions about BenQ’s. (Many made the same, and so did I, please don’t take this as critics.)

But you still have a lot to learn. Disabling SolidBurn and WOPC on high quality media is no risk (check out my Philips P1.5 all OFF. Not bad, or what do you think.

Finally just an advice, take your time for further testing/reading/learning (about drives/functions/system) and don’t make too hasty conslusions/ judgement…
Philips 166P1/BenQ DW165 are great drives once you learn how all this functions, and once you start to feed them with decent media. :slight_smile:

Your test burn is superb! Don’t worry i like to experiment but i am not willing to sacrifice media just for that anymore since a lot of times i am guessing what should work and i blank media goes away like popcorn. :slight_smile:

So i will first prepare some stuff to record and test at the same time. I am still not sure how can you get good burn with all OFF. I think its not firmware since BENQ fw can do quality burns too and if you compare BCHC vs. Philips 1.5 you will see it has same list of strategies, i think they are the same. Also few media tested with both has almost identical PIE/PIF. Older BCDC and BCFC for BENQ are a bit different, 10 strats less and some other changes.

I did a lot of testing with NEC drives, but i must admit i am still confused with Philips/BENQ SB/WOPC/OS. So for now i can at least leave all ON when i am not sure, but i will do more tests. Also i see MCSE can speed up Philips to 16x and Quikee WOPC can turn it ON/OFF so maybe i will use Philips fw too.

hi, I have found a PBDV1660B/00 which seems to be a benq, but they say it’s like SPD2400GM (lite-on), so what do you think can be?
thanks