Which Optiarc drive to get?

vbimport

I am deciding to buy a optiarc to replace my latptop drive so I can burn DL media when my desktop is occupied or when I am not at home. I found two IDE optiarc units but need more clarification as to which I should get and one cost more then the other. I will be using the Slysoft with the drives FYI so I like to know if either of those drives works correctly with Slysoft software ie Anydvd HD, CloneCD, CloneDVD, CloneDVDmobile. Here are the products from amazon.com since New egg doesn’t have anymore IDE optiarc units for sale.

The two computers that I have switched the drives with are Dell E1505, Latitude D830. I taken out both drives and swapped them and it works so I know the E1505 can be swapped to the D830. Also the price is slightly higher for the 7590 (59.00 USD) compared to the 7580 (38.99 USD). I do know that newer model has larger number but does it mean the older 7580 won’t do what I want to do in backing up my DVD movies?

CC I think if I were you I would use a external USB drive in a enclosure.

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2526277]CC I think if I were you I would use a external USB drive in a enclosure.[/QUOTE]

True but if I was to think about it that would defeat the purpose of a laptop being portable right? I already thought about that getting external usb dvd burner but I would like to only carry the laptop and charger not more weight than I need to lug around. My laptop isn’t a desktop replacement so it won’t have a desk for itself so I already put certain requirements and plans that have to be meet that is why I want to get a internal dvd burner first.

Just an idea since you said you wanted to be able to burn when your desktop was tied up.

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2526431]Just an idea since you said you wanted to be able to burn when your desktop was tied up.[/QUOTE]

I know but with space restriction and when I am not at home having a external drive would be more extra hardware to carry around.

Hopefully someone with some with laptop Optical drive knowledge will chime in and help you out.
Best of luck, George

According to this i will go with the 7590 since it’s an nec chipset, and it’s most luckily to have a better support, not sure if the other one is a nec or a qsi.

According to liggydee.cdfreaks.com, the 7580A is a QSI rebadge.

Michael

[QUOTE=vroom;2526620]According to this i will go with the 7590 since it’s an nec chipset, and it’s most luckily to have a better support, not sure if the other one is a nec or a qsi.[/QUOTE]

That kinda what I was leaning to but finding the firmware to update it was a chore so I thought I ask if any other users knew much about this type of drive. I think this week I will get it and swap out my laptop drive and change face plate so thus I will have a DL burner instead of just a DVD-ROM drive.

AD-7590A is a pretty good drive (for a slim drive)

AD-7590A 1.05 8x :

See here for more slim drives : http://forum.gravure-news.com/petit-test-de-graveurs-slim-vt30585.htm

(AD-7630 is slot-in and may be practical for a laptop)

Edit : avoid all QSI crap :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Lithium466;2527009]AD-7590A is a pretty good drive (for a slim drive)

AD-7590A 1.05 8x :

See here for more slim drives : http://forum.gravure-news.com/petit-test-de-graveurs-slim-vt30585.htm

(AD-7630 is slot-in and may be practical for a laptop)

Edit : avoid all QSI crap :)[/QUOTE]

That is the drive I bought cost a bundle but it was worth it to have DL burning built into the laptop when needed… :iagree: Also I just swapped the faceplate and placed it into the laptop carriage from the original drive with screws matching locations and the O/S finding and installing drivers and I was in business. I thinking now seriously to buy another drive and swapped out my other laptop with the same drive when I get money saved up for it as well. Beyond the different drive the faceplate doesn’t give away anything that is it other then the original drive in it which I like.