Which one?

Hi, this is my first post, been lurking for a bit.
Anyway my not so trusty Plextor 760 is starting to crap out.
I’ve gone through three 760’s so far. Still have a 712 but doesn’t do DL.
Would like to get a SATA drive, but can’t decide which is best.
Got a Pioneer 212D but will only burn 2.4x DL at 2.4 where as the 760 will do them at 4x. The 212D is a little slower on SL discs. Not convinced the 212D is all that great of a drive.
Think I read somewhere the Plextor 810 is a re-branded 212D.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

P5B-Deluxe
Core 2 Duo P6600
2 Gig Ram
Vista HP

I can burn 8x on DL’s with my Pioneer DVR-212D. What software are you using? What media are you using? If your Pioneer is new then I would exchange it.

[QUOTE=THE C.;1975507]I can burn 8x on DL’s with my Pioneer DVR-212D. What software are you using? What media are you using? If your Pioneer is new then I would exchange it.[/QUOTE]

The C. Thanks for the reply.
I’m using Nero 7.
Memorex is the Media. It’s rated at 2.4, but the Plex will burn the same media at 4x. I did upgrade the firmware to 1.24.

@ DSR&R,

Welcome to the Forum.

Memorex Media especially Memorex DL Media is only suited for landfill material. Don’t waist your money on Memorex Media.

At this time/date the only DL Media that consistently produces quality error free results is Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media. All other DL Media is suspect and should be avoided.

The DVD Burner Firmware is what controls the Burning speed of Media. Just because the Media Box states a particular Burning speed does not mean the particular brand DVD Burner Firmware actually supports the speed that is printed on the Media box. There are two MIDs for Memorex DL Media and for Memorex DL MID CMC MAG D01 Media the Pioneer DVR-212D v1.24 Firmware only supports 2.4x speed. So if in fact you are using Memorex DL MID CMC MAG D01 Media your Pioneer DVR-212D with Firmware version 1.24 is burning this particular Memorex DL Media at the correct Burning speed. There is also a Memorex DL MID CMC MAG D03 Media, which the Pioneer DVR-212D with Firmware version 1.24 supports at 2.4x\4x\6x\8x speeds.

I am sorry to have to disagree with Forum Member THE C. “exchange” comment if you are using Memorex DL MID CMC MAG D01 Media because your Pioneer DVR-212 is functioning correctly and there is no need to have to exchange it. If you are using Memorex DL MID CMC MAG D03 Media which Pioneer DVR-212D Firmware version 1.24 supports at 2.4x\4x\6x\8x speeds then there is validity to Forum Member THE C. “exchange” comment.

You can easy find out what Burning speed any particular Media with Burn at in your Pioneer DVR-212D by using the Media Code Speed Edit (http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE) tool and enter the particular Firmware you are using and the Media Code Speed Edit tool will reveal the various supported speeds a particular Media MID will Burn at. I mentioned Media “MID” a couple of times – “MID” means Manufacture ID and Media Code and the Media MID can be obtained by using a utility software program similar to DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com).

Regards,
bjkg