Which one of these 3 burners to get?

Hi

I am not a techie like most of you, but I know my way around a PC. I own an aging Dell dimension 8200 pentium 4 at 1.8 ghz running XP home ed.
My DVD-ROM drive just died and after googling everything I could about burners I am down to 3 units. I need IDE (P-ATA) interface. I am a little tight on cash right now.

Samsung SH-S222A (I found it at $25.99 shipped)
Optiarc 7200A (I found it at $29.99 shipped)
Pioneer DVR-118 (I found it at $23.99 shipped after rebate)

From what I read all 3 are very good but the Optiarc just gets more good reviews. I like the Pioneer because it has lightscribe which I would love to try.

What do I want to do with it? Mostly burn stuff on DVD’s, speed does not matter to me too much at this point, I don’t burn all day just once or twice a week.
My old PC is getting replaced this coming Xmas but it will still be used by the family.

One stupid question:
-Some of these drives are sold as OEM with no software, does that mean I will have to download a program prior to use the drive?
Can you guys recommend a free one?

Thanks a lot

Patrick

If u r on lock , u can find Pioneer 115 or 116
If not then go for Optiarc 720x

Hi,QUOTE=Killingjoke;2408406

Samsung SH-S222A (I found it at $25.99 shipped)
Optiarc 7200A (I found it at $29.99 shipped)
Pioneer DVR-118 (I found it at $23.99 shipped after rebate)
[/quote]From that list, go for the Optiarc.

I like the Pioneer because it has lightscribe which I would love to try.
Well, LS is slow and needs expensive blank media. Additionally, the new x18 series is totally different from its predecessors.

One stupid question:
-Some of these drives are sold as OEM with no software, does that mean I will have to download a program prior to use the drive?

You may need CD/DVD burning software. You may try if the software you have still works, otherwise you’ll indeed get something else. ImgBurn is a very good, free choice.

Michael

@ Killingjoke,

Concerning CD/DVD Burner Software ->

Suggest visiting the CDFreaks General Software Forum and review the Read First posting titled “Free Downloads” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f3/free-downloads-your-welcome-128075) for CD/DVD Burning software programs. Also suggest checking out the excellent highly recommended ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com) software program.

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks for the answers so far, I really appreciate it.

Patrick

Hi

Thanks to the posters, I ordered the optiarc.

Thanks again

Patrick

All we are saying, is give ImgBurn a chance. Little lyrical there, but it could be worse, could have audio with these reply posts.