Which one is the BEST!

Good Day,

From all the programs out there( Freeware,Shareware,Payware ) which one will provide the best backup quality ( best video quality, sound quality Etc…)?

I would like to know the answer to that question also!

the best video quality will come from any solution that uses CCE for encoding, such as DVD-Rebuilder. audio generally isn’t touched (if it isn’t stripped by the user) by these programs so that’s pretty much a moot point.

Well, you’ve certainly opened up a can of worms with this post. Expect many replies from staunch supporters of various programs - everyone has their take! :smiley:

Yo Dan-

Note that you do not show a DVD burner in your list-(?)

I am using anyDVD and a $10 version of interVideo (bought off of eBay) and get kicka$$ burns - on one disc - using QUALITY media like Taiyo Yuden and Ritek -R’s on my NEC ND-3500a-

Happy Burnin’

Mike

IMHO, CCE/DVD-RB are the undisputed champs, but they do take a little bit of knowledge to know how to use and it can be spendy. If you don’t want to go that route then DVD Shrink/DVD Decrypter combo are an excellent choice. They are free and very easy to use. If nothing else, I recommend starting there since they are free. It gives you a base to start out with and if you decide it doesn’t give you the results you want, then you haven’t lost any money on it. I personally use DVD Shrink for virtually all of my backups, I can’t believe the results it produces considering that it is freeware.

I guess that this is a vibrating purple dildo.

DVDshrink is nice.
Now that it has smoothing, quality rivals that of DVD2one.

Advantages though. If you have 2 DVD drives & anydvd installed, you can do a copy direct from DVD->HD->DVDR because Anydvd decrypts the VOB files automatically, and DVDshrink supports autoburning & autobitsetting :confused: also I believe.

So have anyDVD on, whack a disc in, whack a DVDR in, set compression level for special features to maximum, settings to smooth and then let dvdshrink go for it :wink:
Come back in an hour or so and you have a nice fresh frisbee to play on your standalone :slight_smile:

If you’re gonna pay for software to backup your DVD collection, you might as well buy a 2nd set. Software for DVD backup, no matter how good people claim them to be will never come close to the quality of the original. Funny enough, most paid DVD backup software claim to have quality identical to the original. Nice try, but no.

You want the BEST? Buy a 2nd copy of the DVD. You want free? Use DVD Decrypter + DVD Shrink.

In a few months DL disks will be cheap enough & transcoding software will be a moot point regardless :wink:

AnyDVD will live on & on :wink:

Agreed but that isn’t going to happen until D/L discs run about $2-$3 USD per disc. I know that aussies are getting some semi-decent deals on D/L media ($7-$8 USD per disc) but here in the U.S. at $10 USD per disc, it isn’t worth it.

Hm, I have noticed much of a difference between any of the tools but than I only have a standard 27 inch TV (big enough for me!) to watch the backups on. My other friends also don’t have bigger than 32’s and movies look fine on them as well. CloneDVD2/AnyDVD seem to work fine, of course Nero Recode 2/AnyDVD also works well incombination. Shrink has its uses for me as well. They all have their place - the big thing for me is that they are reasonably fast and have a decent user interface that I’m not sitting here for 8 hours scratching my head to make one backup.

In this category CloneDVD2/Nero Recode 2 (In combination with AnyDVD) and DVD Shrink/DVD Decrypter work very well together.