Which one is better Seagate or WD?

Which one is better for install OS Seagate or WD ?
please tell me your exeperience :slight_smile:
Thanks

P.S I like Seagate HDD because it is much faster than WD HDD
( I have been using Seagate and WD HDD from ATA100 to SATA 300 )

I only had trouble with seagate, my first 6G / 10G / 20G (ata 66) were dead after 12 months, and my latest 500G had i firmware bug, on the other side (the wd) i never had any problems, even my 8.4G (ata 66) is still working, so for me it’s an easy choice, WD.

You can always run some benchmark if you want pure speed.

Hi,

this depends on the individual HDD. Fastest HDDs available are the WD Raptors :slight_smile:

If the drives have comparable technical data, then there won’t be much much difference.

Michael

Thanks for the info vroom and mciahel :slight_smile:

How about noise WD Raptors ?
( I will order WD Raptors next month :iagree: because already I order two Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB )

Hi :slight_smile:
In my experience WD HDD’s are better alround, when compared to Seagate.
The new Velociraptors are fairly quiet compared to the Raptors.
A lot faster too.

[QUOTE=zebadee;2309576]Hi :slight_smile:
In my experience WD HDD’s are better alround, when compared to Seagate.
The new Velociraptors are fairly quiet compared to the Raptors.
A lot faster too.[/QUOTE]

Thanks zebadee :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=vroom;2309563]I only had trouble with seagate, my first 6G / 10G / 20G (ata 66) were dead after 12 months, and my latest 500G had i firmware bug, on the other side (the wd) i never had any problems, even my 8.4G (ata 66) is still working, so for me it’s an easy choice, WD.

You can always run some benchmark if you want pure speed.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this I have all the WD HDD since IDE and now my 1TB WD SATA is still going good. And with Seagate debacle of the 1TB and 1.5TB firmware didn’t do Seagate any good PR sales.

This is one of these questions no one in this forum will be able to answer truthfully.
No one in here have most likely owned or maintained hundreds of HDDs to have some kind of reliability statistics. It doesn’t matter if you HDD form company X died before HDD Y since it can be pure coincidence and HDDs dies and will continue to do that so keep backups. Seagate HDDs are slow and have been that since a few years back compared to other brands and that’s a fact. They have for some time been giving out 5 year warranty (depends on region I guess) which is quite unique. In general Hitachi have a pretty good bang for the buck here in Sweden at least and gives good perforance, WD are at least for now slightly faster (Black HDDs) but they’re also noticeably more expensive too.

Quite interesting reading

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/print/640gb-hdd-roundup.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/print/1tb-14hdd-roundup.html

//Danne

Hmmm
in my exeperience Seagate is faster than WD HDD ( OS loading time / except SSD and 10.000RPM HDD )
and very Quiet ( my exeperience based on around 40HDD Seagate and WD from IDE to SATA )

P.S last half year my 7 Seagate 1.5TB works fine ( Fast and It really quiet )
one more very cool operation

…perhaps if you compare a new drive against a 2-4 year old one in general
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2310264]This is one of these questions no one in this forum will be able to answer truthfully.
No one in here have most likely owned or maintained hundreds of HDDs to have some kind of reliability statistics. It doesn’t matter if you HDD form company X died before HDD Y since it can be pure coincidence and HDDs dies and will continue to do that so keep backups. Seagate HDDs are slow and have been that since a few years back compared to other brands and that’s a fact. They have for some time been giving out 5 year warranty (depends on region I guess) which is quite unique. In general Hitachi have a pretty good bang for the buck here in Sweden at least and gives good perforance, WD are at least for now slightly faster (Black HDDs) but they’re also noticeably more expensive too.

Quite interesting reading

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/print/640gb-hdd-roundup.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/print/1tb-14hdd-roundup.html

//Danne[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
Seagate (UK) only give 3 year warranty now.
WD (Black) give 5 year.
Currently WD drives are faster (again black) in both access & data (sustained) data transfer.
WD RE versions when raided are unparalleled.
Though Samsung (not considered here) are very good too.
Despite only given a 3 year warranty their testing implies a 5 year life span.
Personally I have found the very latest Seagates to be noisier than either WD or Samsung.

Sansung hard drives a fast, but the great think about them is the low temperature.

Samsungs have poor reliability though (personal experience and may not reflect overall performance)…
//Danne

Seagate make me nervous nowadays. They’ve had firmware problems for a large number of drives the past few years, and when the two Barracuda 7200.10 discs in my system displayed some odd behaviour my experience with seagates support was, to put it extremely diplomatically, underwhelming.
My most recent HDD purchase, after reading a large (virtual) pile of reviews, was a Hitachi 7K1000.B which I’m very happy with - the performance difference from my (admittedly older) Seagate disks was very noticable and it is also very quiet (almost too quiet - at first I kept wondering if something had gone wrong since I couldn’t hear any activity…)

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2310264]This is one of these questions no one in this forum will be able to answer truthfully.
No one in here have most likely owned or maintained hundreds of HDDs to have some kind of reliability statistics. It doesn’t matter if you HDD form company X died before HDD Y since it can be pure coincidence and HDDs dies and will continue to do that so keep backups.
//Danne[/QUOTE]
Okay I repair/build/sell systems and from my experience I have seen hundreds upon hundreds of hdds in my time to be able to
truthfully answer the question and the answer is [B]no one brand of hdd is better than the next brand[/B] in terms of how long it is
going to last. They are just like anything that is living they are all going to die sooner or later no way around it unfortunately. :disagree:
Yes drive X may have a faster transfer rate than drive Y and drive Z but still they only last so long. My personal main system
just had a 7 month old 1TB Seagate up and dye no warning no nothing worked one day and dead the next and yes it has a
little faster benchmark transfer rate than my 1TB WD black or my 500GB WD black or the old Maxtor 300GB drive has but that
means nothing in the real world usage at least to me it doesn’t. I do not see a big difference between the performance of any
of the drives in the systems that I have ever worked on except maybe for the WD Raptors they do load the OS a little faster.

[QUOTE=getit29;2310815]My personal main system
just had a 7 month old 1TB Seagate up and dye no warning no nothing worked one day and dead the next and yes it has a
little faster benchmark transfer rate than my 1TB WD black or my 500GB WD black or the old Maxtor 300GB drive has but that
means nothing in the real world usage at least to me it doesn’t. I do not see a big difference between the performance of any
of the drives in the systems that I have ever worked on except maybe for the WD Raptors they do load the OS a little faster.[/QUOTE]

That’s the real point most people will never fully use the drive to the limits so there is no real tests. But the Seagate debacle did show how they didn’t have fore thought what the end results of that would send the buyers running away screaming. That doing something like that is the fastest way to send your creditentials down the tubes. People like having the fastest gizzmos but fail to realize should ask the question will they ever see it at max performances on the HDD for everyday uses. Cause most if not many use it for just word docs and internet surfing and dvd movie watching will never see or use the full potentials of the HDD.

I got Two 500GB WD Caviar Black yesterday ( Install this weekend )
Hope I better than my older WD and Seagate HDD :slight_smile:

WD Caviar Black Very quiet drive ( much quiet than Seagate HDD )
and not so fast
WD VelociRaptor 300GB 10,000RPM ( last week Micro Center $229 ) it is little faster than normal HDD but I don’t like a noise
last two weeks sigh…
I go with SSD :iagree: for OS install :iagree: 120GB or much bigger … ( 60GB too small )

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2418003]WD Caviar Black Very quiet drive ( much quiet than Seagate HDD )
and not so fast
WD VelociRaptor 300GB 10,000RPM ( last week Micro Center $229 ) it is little faster than normal HDD but I don’t like a noise
last two weeks sigh…
I go with SSD :iagree: for OS install :iagree: 120GB or much bigger … ( 60GB too small )[/QUOTE]

I am also very happy with the WD black 1Tb but the samsung spinpoint F1 is more cooler 28C (wd=35C), i will also agree that 60G is to small, but the price here for a 120G SSD starts at 270 euro, and it’s not very cheap.

Very Disappiont WD VelociRaptor 300GB 10,000RPM HDD
( Price and performance )
I’d better go with SSD this [B]New 3.5inch Desktop SSD[/B] by [B]OCZ[/B]
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011000

OCZ [B]Colossus [/B]SATA II [B]3.5"[/B] Solid State Drive 120 GB
Maximum Read Speed: [B]260 MB/S[/B] :clap:
Sustained Write Speed: [B]230 MB/S[/B] :clap:
Maximum Write Speed: [B]260 MB/S[/B] :clap: