Which one is a better reader? BenQ1650 or Liteon 1673S?

Hi guys…

I would like to make images from my friends DVDs…but im not sure which one is a good reader…Coz I would not like to produce a bad image file…

LiteOn take around 9 mins to produce a full DVD size image but BenQ1650 only takes around 5 mins…

So…the faster the better? Or slower the better?

I’d go with the Benq. My 1655’s (basically the 1650 but with Lightscribe) have been great all around drives for myself and many other users here. It’s also the newer model of the 2.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either. If you are going to be reading dvd’s…If you will be scanning a lot of cd’s then you might want to go with the benq. Otherwise either will do…

But why is the reading speed different?

Both are 16x DVD writers…

The Liteon is riplocked, which means it will read Video-DVDs slower than the Benq do.
The BenQ is riplocked too (I think to 12x), but you can disable the riplock with MediaCodeSpeedEdit.
Besides, my vote goes for the Benq too - great error correction and high speed!!

Icic…I thought LiteON error correction is better…lolz…

Ok then…thanks for those comments!

I didn’t say it’s better - i said it’s great ! :smiley:
No, the LiteOn has a very good correction too…(I have 2 liteOn and 2 benq drives) but i would go with the BenQ.

Hmm…I guess i’ll use LiteOn :smiley:

I dun wanna ware out my BenQ lense

Best reader I’ve had is my Samsung SH-W162C. It managed to fully read heavily scratched/damaged CDs and DVDs that failed with all my other burners. Some of those discs wouldn’t even load on both my BenQ drives, let arone rip. The Samsung loaded those and ripped them without problems. And it’s also my fastest burner. Samsung must have been doing something right…

Benq -Faster reader not locked
Lite On - better reader for damaged media !

Hmm…okie…

Ill used my LiteOn then…thanks guys!

Haven’t tried any LiteOns since my 1693, so I can’t comment on newer models, but the SH-W162C is a better reader for scrtached/damaged discs than those older Liteon models. In four different occasions it managed to read discs that all my other drives couldn’t, including all my older LiteOns up to 1693. But then again, maybe I have a so-called ‘wonder drive’? I don’t know. For me it saved the bacon many times.

PS
By the way, The Queensryche rules! I’ve been a fan since the early 80s!