Which one from these options should I choose..?

vbimport

Hello!

I’m buying a new CD/DVD burner for my new PC.

Options I could find in my country:

LG
GH22NS50

Lite-On
iHAS124

Asus
DRW-24B1ST

Samsung
SH-S223C

Sony
AD-7240S

• Probably, I will burn a couple of CD/DVD/DVD DL once a week. (Most of the time will be data and PS2/XBOX 360 games)
  • Really don’t care about recording speed, just burning quality.
  • Reading speed is a good addition.
  • I just want a stable writer.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I suggest to get the 7240 :slight_smile:

Interesting, that’s a range of models, plus a few more that I can find.

Not sure of the thing where some Liteon’s are really Optiarc, or that is always or “might be”.

Optiarc is a good choice. I wouldn’t recommend the Samsung at all though, 22x Samsungs are quite unpopular because of burn quality issues.

First off you will need quality media if you want consistent burns with good quality. What brands/mids do you have available?
I vote for the Asus DRW-24B1ST as its a true Lite-On clone using the Mediatek chipset. Lite-On drives that use the Mediatek chipset are great readers, decent burners, support bit setting, media scanning w/jitter. Lite-On drives have more community support than any other brand by far. Tweaked firmware, tools etc.

I picked up an Optiarc AD-7240S because people have been bragging them up but my Asus DRW-24B1ST and Sammy SH-S223L both produce better burns using
Verbatim DVD+R MCC 004 or Verbatim DVD+R CMC MAG 001. I may have gotten a bad one? I have not tested burn quality on other media codes or media types. There have been complaints about the burn quality with the Samsung SH-S223C but from what I see on these forums a firmware update fixed the problems.

double post, sorry

[QUOTE=geno888;2529904]Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I suggest to get the 7240 :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2529944]Optiarc is a good choice. I wouldn’t recommend the Samsung at all though, 22x Samsungs are quite unpopular because of burn quality issues.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions!
2 votes for Optiarc/Sony! :cool:

[QUOTE=wonderwrench;2529991]First off you will need quality media if you want consistent burns with good quality. What brands/mids do you have available?
I vote for the Asus DRW-24B1ST as its a true Lite-On clone using the Mediatek chipset. Lite-On drives that use the Mediatek chipset are great readers, decent burners, support bit setting, media scanning w/jitter. Lite-On drives have more community support than any other brand by far. Tweaked firmware, tools etc.

I picked up an Optiarc AD-7240S because people have been bragging them up but my Asus DRW-24B1ST and Sammy SH-S223L both produce better burns using
Verbatim DVD+R MCC 004 or Verbatim DVD+R CMC MAG 001. I may have gotten a bad one? I have not tested burn quality on other media codes or media types. There have been complaints about the burn quality with the Samsung SH-S223C but from what I see on these forums a firmware update fixed the problems.[/QUOTE]

There is good quality medias near by, like Verbatim :iagree:
Yes, I was pending to choose Asus DRW-24B1ST before I posted here…
I’ve read some good reviews/articles about it:
Hundreds of mini-reviews here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204 (Some of them stated that this writer can easily read very-scratched CDs/DVDs)
Some articles:
http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=997&page=13
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=465&Itemid=60&limit=1&limitstart=6

For those who recommended 7240…
What makes 7240 better choice than Asus DRW-24B1ST? :rolleyes:

Thanks all for the answers!

[QUOTE=SilvioLobo;2530028]For those who recommended 7240…
What makes 7240 better choice than Asus DRW-24B1ST? :rolleyes:

Thanks all for the answers![/QUOTE]

A better burn quality - especially when it comes to DL DVD media.

[QUOTE=pepst;2530134]A better burn quality - especially when it comes to DL DVD media.[/QUOTE]

I will only burn DL medias next year… :rolleyes:
So these medias it’s not that big deal for now.

I’ve found Pioneer DVR-218L in stores. Would be a better choice? (I heart a lot of good things about Pionner drivers)

Ok, got me leaning toward the Optiarc for my new build - the tagging on the IHAS524 is a cool toy, but5 if the Optiarc is a better burner.

Hijacking the topic a bit, is there anything coming up (like the Ihas624 with tagging and Lightscribe) that means I should consider retrieving my old Liteon (1213S) and running it on PATA, and then putting a new SATA drive in later - the board has 1 PATA available - alternatively, are any of the models on PATA superior, I’m assuming SATA optical it pretty well worked out by now though!