Which of these media for Pioneer A06(U)?

Heya,

I’m gettin’ a Pioneer A06U for xmas - I know it’s retail, i’ve seen the box. (As an aside, what’s the difference between the A06U what i have, and the A06?)

Here are the media available to me here in Toronto Canada:

HP 2.4x DVD+R 4.7GB w/ case $5.99
HP 2.4x DVD+RW 4.7GB w/ case $6.99
LeadData 4x DVD-R 4.7GB w/ sleeve $2.40
Maxell 2X DVD-R 4.7GB w/ sleeve $1.99
Mitsui 2x 4.7GB DVD-R w/ sleeve $5.99
Mitsui 2x 4.7GB DVD-R w/ jewel case $7
Pioneer 4X DVD-R 4.7GB w/ case $7.99
Princo 2x 4.7GB DVD-RW w/ sleeve $2.99
Princo 1x 4.7GB DVD-R w/ printable surface, sleeve $1.89
Princo 4x 4.7GB DVD-R w/ sleeve $2.29
Ritek 2.4X DVD+R 4.7GB w/ sleeve $2.99
Ritek 4X DVD-R 4.7GB w/ sleeve $2.80
Verbatim 1X 4.7GB DVD-R w/ jewel case $4.49
Verbatim 2X 4.7GB DVD-R w/ jewel case $5.99
Verbatim 2X 4.7GB DVD-RW $8.00
Verbatim 2.4X 4.7GB DVD+R w/ jewel case $3.99
Verbatim 4X 4.7GB DVD+R $4.59
Verbatim 2.4X DVD+RW 4.7GB $4.99
EMTEC(BASF) 4.7GB DVD-RAM $19.99

So the A06 is a 2x/-R and 2.4x/+R writer. Which of these disks should I spring for? I’ve already decided my RWs will be Verbatim 2.4 DVD+RWs, but I need to buy some +R/-R’s, and I don’t have ANY more information than listed here (ie, scans of them for manufacturer’s factory etc)

Thanks

X

The A06 will burn +R and -R disks at 4x top speed.

Its hard to go entirely by brands when picking disks, but I would stay away from the LeadData and the Princo’s.

The EMTEC DVD-Ram disks won’t work in your Pioneer by the way.

Your best bet for quality/good price would be the Ritek’s. See if anyone will confirm that they are the G04 variety.

Check on the packaging of the Verbatims and see if any say Made in Japan. Those will be Taiyo Yuden and should be excellent quality. If they say Made in Singapore, they will be Mitsubishi Chemicals and still very good quality. If they say Made in Taiwan, they could be one of several different manufacturers.

The Mitsui’s and HP’s seem a bit pricey don’t they?

Originally posted by Kerry56
[B]The A06 will burn +R and -R disks at 4x top speed.

Its hard to go entirely by brands when picking disks, but I would stay away from the LeadData and the Princo’s.

The EMTEC DVD-Ram disks won’t work in your Pioneer by the way.

Your best bet for quality/good price would be the Ritek’s. See if anyone will confirm that they are the G04 variety.

Check on the packaging of the Verbatims and see if any say Made in Japan. Those will be Taiyo Yuden and should be excellent quality. If they say Made in Singapore, they will be Mitsubishi Chemicals and still very good quality. If they say Made in Taiwan, they could be one of several different manufacturers.

The Mitsui’s and HP’s seem a bit pricey don’t they? [/B]

Oh, right, forgot, yes it’s a 4x burner. I know it can’t do DVD-RAM.

Thanks for the recommendation on the riteks! Would you recommend the +R riteks or -R riteks? I’ve heard that in general +R is better. Which are more likely to play on my wife’s standalone DVD player? My priorities are longevity of the discs, and price, NOT speed. I really don’t care if I standardize on 2x or even 1x discs for now, until the 4x’s become cheap. Man, brings me back to buying 1x CD-Rs for $12 apiece…

Also, thanks for the verbatim info. However, these Verbatims are too expensive ! I like the Riteks better.

thanks and look forward to a reply,

xaphod

Yes, I think the +R’s are slightly better, but they are also slightly less compatible with stand-alone players. Go to www.dvdrhelp.com and look up the model of player that you have. Check to see how compatible it is with the various types of recordable media before you buy any disks.

Longevity is another topic altogether. No one knows for certain just how long our burned dvd’s are going to last. All you can do is buy the best disks you can afford.

The Ritek G04’s have a very vocal group of supporters, so I have to believe they are, in general, a good choice of media with a strong record of compatiblity to both recorders and players. I have a sneaking suspicion however, that disks from companies that have a long tradition of tight controls on quality make better dvds. At the top of that list is Taiyo Yuden.

In any case, good luck on your new recorder.

Originally posted by xaphod

Mitsui 2x 4.7GB DVD-R w/ sleeve $5.99
Mitsui 2x 4.7GB DVD-R w/ jewel case $7

Ritek 2.4X DVD+R 4.7GB w/ sleeve $2.99
Ritek 4X DVD-R 4.7GB w/ sleeve $2.80

Verbatim 2X 4.7GB DVD-R w/ jewel case $5.99
Verbatim 4X 4.7GB DVD+R $4.59
Verbatim 2.4X DVD+RW 4.7GB $4.99

Which of these disks should I spring for?

Originally posted by Kerry56

At the top of that list is Taiyo Yuden…

1. I’ve selected my preference.

2. …which Mitsui are >

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TYG01]

Disc Type : [DVD-R]
Manufacturer ID : [TYG01]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x - 2x - 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3 MB = 4.38 GB]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

I have a Pioneer 106 and use Verbatim, Made in singapore (thanks Kerry for that little gem, i will be looking now!!),

I have had no trouble with them both my clunky old sony dvd player and my even clunkier ps2 plays both “+” and “-”, and so far no glitches (Even though my kids give the ps2 discs a hammering, scratches etc, but they keep on goin