Which of these features has the 3500A?

Because some of the reviews of differents sites I have read of this burner differs in features, I have to ask to the real owners.

Can you say me if Nec ND3500A has these features? With original firmware or with hacked firmware?

1. DOUBLE LAYER burner with 16x speed (8x or 12x is also OK) on -R, that lets me record DVDs at 1x or 2x speed (to be well read by my ps2)

1b. and CDs at 4x speed (for my ps2 also and for my musicCds). Of course with higher speeds, but if I very important that let me burn at theses slowers speeds.

1. Good compatability with cheap DVD media like Princo, etc…

2. Booktype setting or at least burn at DVD-ROM type.

3. If it’s possible, one of these burner that lets burn 8x media (in example) at speeds of 12x or 16x.

4. Good web support, firmwares monthly (or something like this)…

5. Overburning for 90 (or more) minutes CD-Rs .

Thank you very much!!

wow…you want alot for $70 j/k :slight_smile:

undoit, from what you have listed, I believe the BenQ DW1620 would be a better choice than the NEC ND-3500A. Either drive will do most of the features your looking for (NEC doesn’t overburn CD-Rs) and will produce excellent results. However, the NEC does do a better job than the BenQ when burning -R, but the BenQ drive is getting better at this with updated firmware.

1. DOUBLE LAYER burner with 16x speed (8x or 12x is also OK) on -R, that lets me record DVDs at 1x or 2x speed (to be well read by my ps2)

Out of the box. 2x is the minimum available recoding speed for DVD-R, and is not available for every media type, because high speed media works best at mid to high speeds.

1b. and CDs at 4x speed (for my ps2 also and for my musicCds). Of course with higher speeds, but if I very important that let me burn at theses slowers speeds.

8x CLV is the minimum speed available, however, burning at 16x CLV on this drive will produce better results on most media than at 8x.

1. Good compatability with cheap DVD media like Princo, etc…
    Out of the box, but a firmware upgrade to the official 2.18 is recommended.
  1. Booktype setting or at least burn at DVD-ROM type.

Modified firmware available.

1. If it’s possible, one of these burner that lets burn 8x media (in example) at speeds of 12x or 16x.

Out of the box.

1. Good web support, firmwares monthly (or something like this)…

Every three months if you’re lucky!!!

1. Overburning for 90 (or more) minutes CD-Rs.

Up to 90min is possible but you really want a dedicated CD-RW for that.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

1. Yes. 2x is the minimum speed for DVD-R, 1x for DVD-RW, and 2.4x for DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+R DL.

1b) No. 8x is the minimum CD writing speed. But that should be slow enough for both your PS2 and audio CDs, especially if you consider the fact that modern burners are optimised for high speed burning.

1. Yes. Although Princo is no media, it’s a disease.

2. Yes. With unofficial modified firmware that is.

3. Yes. Especially the newest 2.18 firmware allows you to “overspeed” quite a lot of 8x (and slower) media. If you need even more overspeeding support, you can flash your drive with one of the experimental “beta” firmwares available here which are all about tweaking the default write strategies so certain (often cheap) media can be written faster.

4. Yes. The unofficial support with modified firmwares and forums like these that is. Or if you are talking about the official firmware support by NEC OEMs like TDK or Maddog. NEC rarely releases new firmware themselves though, but once they do, you can expect quite a lot of changes and often improvements (e.g. the 2.18 firmware release).

5. Yes. 90 min CDs are supported, up to 89:57 minutes max.

Yo undoit-

Am I confused here or what?

On one hand you want this super-specification-

And on the other you say you want to burn crap media-

What am I missing here?

IMHO - a quality burner using quality media will result in quality results - and you want less than that??

Mike

Thank you very much to all of you for your help. Wow, I didn’t expected such a well descripted features as the post of packetloss and velocd. :bow:

@ bigmike7

Yes, you’re right. But here in Spain the “good” media is too expensive and sometimes you can find offers with the “bad” media at good prices. So, I will try to burn with good media but not always due to my economy. :stuck_out_tongue:

@ crea78

I had the 1640P of Philips (which I think is the same as the Benq) and I brought back to the shop because of the point 1b of my demand, the CD-R burning speed. I tried some CDs recorded at 8x and they took a while to be loaded on my ps2.

Thank you again for all your answers!

Maybe I try the Pioneer 108 being the CD-R burning speed x4 the most important feature for me.

TerminalVelocd, I have seen in your signature that you own a Pioneer 108D. Does it seems more to the burner I’m asking for?
As I see Nec3500A it’s an impressive burner and if I wouldn’t have a ps2 I would buy it with my eyes closed. The problem is that, YES, I have a ps2 with a not good reading lens. AFAIK, Pioneer has this 4x speed on CD-R that is so apreciated by me, but what about the other features? I think I’ve seen something about a Piodata firmware that has the ability to burn +R as DVD-ROM, or didn’t I? :rolleyes:
I’m asking you this here, because I have posted a thread like this in the Pioneer forum but no one answers me. :confused:

Thank you a lot. :bow: