Which of these drives is the best?

vbimport

I want to burn video DVDs and I have 4 burners I can choose from.

• AMD desktop - Info: SONY DVD RW DRU-V204A 1.60 (D:) (ATA) [NEC/Optiarc?]
  • Asus Laptop - Info: Slimtype DVD A DS8A5SH XAA2 (E:) (ATAPI) [Lite-On?]
  • Samsung Laptop - Info: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8D1 L.01 (D:) (SATA) [NuTech?]
  • Acer Laptop - Info: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-U633A AC01 (D:) (ATAPI) [Samsung?]

Which of these 4 would be the best one to use? (I will be using Verbatim MCC-004 and MKM-001 for my blank media)

The desktop drive would likely burn better than any of the laptop drives, or at the very least be more tolerant of disc flaws. Slim drives tend to also be slower, too, and are more fragile, so why not put the desktop drive to use? :slight_smile:

Desktop burners are usually better than laptop burners, and I think the Sony DRU-V204A is the same hardware as the Optiarc AD-7200A which is a very good DVD burner, so I’d assume this to be your best choice.

Thank you very much for the answers!

By all means try the Sony on the discs you mentioned. The 204/7200 series has an excellent track record with that media.

edit: just noticed that Jadburner posted some fresh burns on the MKM001s you will use. Do use 4x+ burn speed with those.

I’ll agree with the retired Dragon and deanwitty. Slimline drives don’t hold up real well. My wife got a cheap Wal-Mart Compaq lap-top 5 years ago and I had to try the burner. Burnt a DVD, it did a great job according to Disc Speed check. This has been the only burn it has done. It has read about 10 discs and all is good. The slim drives don’t last very long with a lot of use. My DVD burning computer (for all video stuff) has 7 different burners and my workhorse, internet 'puter has one full size drive in it. Be aware DVD burners do have a duty cycle, that’s why I have 7 drives in one computer. Each burn is done on a different drive , keeps the heat down of using just one drive.

@deanwitty, @G. Ivan Awfulitch: thanks for the replies!

@deanwitty: Haven’t gotten around to the double layers yet but I was wondering, why is it recommended to burn at 4x and not 2.4x?

[QUOTE=RedSpy;2683185]@deanwitty, @G. Ivan Awfulitch: thanks for the replies!

@deanwitty: Haven’t gotten around to the double layers yet but I was wondering, why is it recommended to burn at 4x and not 2.4x?[/QUOTE]

Jadburner’s posted burns show a better quality burn at 4x vs 2.4x. My own experience has also been that the 7200 series drives do very good at 4x with the MKM001s.