Which of these burners?

I’m in a pickel and need some expert advice. I’ve went through and picked out these DVD Burners but I get mixed reviews on all of them. I’m particularly worried about choosing Lite-On because of their seemingly cheap build quality and people saying they aren’t getting more than a few months use before they die. The only other Lite-On I owned died in 3 weeks time. Please tell me which of these I should go for:

BenQ DW1640 16X Dual Layer DVD±RW
Samsung TS-H552U/RSBN Double Layer DVD±RW
Pioneer DVR109BK 16X Dual Layer DVD±RW
LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S
ASUS IDE DVD Burner Model DRW-1608P2 BK

The specs on the BenQ sound impressive, but I’ve never owned anything from them. If they all suck, can anyone recommend a good DVD burner thats in the same price range as the above?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Lite-On SHW-1635S

Isn’t the SOHW-1693S a more uptodate model?

no, the 1635s is newer.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile: would you happen to have a link to where I can buy it? Newegg, tigerdirect nor Zipzoomfly have it listed. :frowning:

actually, this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827200004
is the same drive. it’s just a rebadge. but it should be crossflashable with a liteon firmware.

I would recommend the 1693 as I have used and compared it to my other 6 burners and it is a very good burner. Plus it rips, scans, and bitsets.

I have no experience with the 1635 and I would be hesitant to buy one without seeing some scans on a wide range of media. Newer is not always better.

Newegg only sells white model, need black :frowning:

@chas0039

How long have you had your lite-on? Any coasters?

there’s a black bezel in the package.
also the newer drives are better, especially liteons. i wouldn’t buy the 1693s as there will be no more support for it (firmwares) when the new 5s/6s series be released.

If I were you, I’d take the BenQ DW1640.
The Lite-ON model is better with burning discs at 8x, and BenQ performs better in 16x.

They’re both 16x burners after all…

get any of them except the samsung!!!

You’d like to get the Pioneer DVR-110 (D) instead of the 109 or maybe their XL versions.

Hi :slight_smile:
If you must go for a Pioneer, go for the 110. Better yet the Nec 45** range.
Personally the 1640 is the one for I’d go for.

I have had mine for 6 months now. No coasters, no problems. It continues to perform better than any Liteon prior, and I have had a few. Given the low cost of drives these days I would not worry about buying a drive that is less than a year old. As long as you have firmware support for 16X media there will be nothing faster. Plus, unlike BenQ and Pioneer, there is a huge support for Liteon and NEC firmware on this site should anything unexpected come around.

If I had passed on my NEC 3500 because a newer NEC was out I would have missed out on the best drive I own. Also, I now have 5 drives that are significantly better with current 8X media when I use older firmware. The automatic assurance that newer firmware is better is no longer the case.

Keep in mind, I am not saying don’t get the 1635. I am just saying do some checking before you buy. People who bought the NEC 3540 because it was newer are still waiting to get the bugs out of the firmware and it has now also been superceded by the 4550 and others. As expected, the 4550 has a few bugs as well.

Some 1635 scans are here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=151610

The YUDEN000T02 is much worse than I see with the 1693. I get PIE peaks under 10 with totals under 30K and PIF totals under 250. The MCC looks good though.

1. BenQ DW1640 16X Dual Layer DVD±RW
  2. ASUS IDE DVD Burner Model DRW-1608P2 BK (or Pioneer 110D)
  3. Pioneer DVR109BK 16X Dual Layer DVD±RW
  4. LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S (look for newer 1635 or 16H5S)
  5. Samsung TS-H552U/RSBN Double Layer DVD±RW (Better don´t get it)

If you want to use mostly DVD-R, take a Pioneer

Actually, my Pioneer 109 does not do well with -R at all. I went to Buffalo firmware and MCC 003 and get good burns with that. I tried Prodisc, TY, MCC, Ritek, and TDK -R and was not impressed.

That´s strange…

The Pioneer 109 works with newer FW good with Verbatim, TY, Prodisc, CMC.

Not sure about Optodisc, Ritek and MCC/TY-fakes