Which of these blu-ray burners should I get? (Burner+Scanner)

vbimport

Samsung SN-506BB (Internal Drive)
ASUS BW-16D1HT
Pioneer BDR-209DBK
LG BH16NS55
LG WH16NS40

From reading in the forum I understand that between the models above, the Pioneer drive is most recommended as a burner. Am I right?

As for scanning, is the Samsung drive capable of performing a quality scan, i.e LDC/BIS/JITTER? Note that its the internal model.
Is it the only drive out of the models above that can perform a quality scan?

Thanks

The Samsung is a SLIM internal drive. If you’re intending to put a drive in a half-height (normal desktop size) slot, you’re not going to want that one.

But that Samsung is the only one guaranteed to do scanning out of the box. No, it does not support jitter scanning, but then, unless you get an iHBS112/212/312 (or, in OEM parlance, a DH12B2S or DH12B2SH) or one of the clones of that LiteOn drive, you won’t be scanning jitter anyway.

Depending on the age of the drive, the WH16NS40 (and the BW-16D1HT, which is a rebadged LG) could be crossflashed to a firmware which does support scanning (no jitter). However, the WH16NS40 you get could theoretically be based on the same hardware as the 16NS55, which would prevent you from crossflashing to gain scanning. (The BW-16D1HT also runs that same risk).

Many people say that the Pioneer generally nails quality burns, but the LG drives are also good. The slim Samsung drive isn’t guaranteed to be quite as quick or have the same quality.

(The old LiteOn drive I mentioned does not write as well as the LG and Pioneer models you’ve listed).

I would say, go LG …NS40 or ASUS and see if you get old stock or new stock. If it’s new stock that cannot be crossflashed, then it’s up to you to decide if you want to find the external Samsung SE-506CB for scanning. Or try to find one of those LiteOn models on eBay.

An alternative to the (now rather scarce, and unreliable) SE-506CB would be to get the SN-506BB and put it in an external enclosure yourself. USB enclosures for slim SATA drives are readily available on Ebay & similar from ~£5.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2787013]An alternative to the (now rather scarce, and unreliable) SE-506CB would be to get the SN-506BB and put it in an external enclosure yourself. USB enclosures for slim SATA drives are readily available on Ebay & similar from ~£5.[/QUOTE]

I am also thinking to get a SAMSUNG SN-506BB/BEBD internal drive as it seems to be the only one I can find capable of quality scanning. What kind of external enclosure do I need for this drive? I don’t think that one for a 2.5" SATA drive will work.

Are you still researching this? I will be buying an enclosure for a full height BD burner shortly, and have mostly settled on those from Vantec. Here is their USA page:

http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/pro_list/66

The reviews on Amazon seem quite favorable:

I don’t know if these are available in Europe, but there must be something very similar.

[QUOTE=theTAO;2788469]Are you still researching this? I will be buying an enclosure for a full height BD burner shortly, and have mostly settled on those from Vantec. Here is their USA page:

http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/pro_list/66

The reviews on Amazon seem quite favorable:

I don’t know if these are available in Europe, but there must be something very similar.[/QUOTE]

I tried to find something similar locally, but I couldn’t. I am not sure if it’s worth the trouble ordering online, as in this case I could also order a 5.25" drive.