Which MP3 player with FM Tuner?

I need a small MP3 player, which supports drag and play.
Further, shall it support FM radio and some other features.
As for the latter conditions, the more the better.
A good audio quality and touch screen would be a plus, and please no Apple crap. I’m sick and tired of Apple stuff!

Personally, I really like Sony’s recent Walkman MP3 players. I know Sony got a lot of negative publicity over its lack of MP3 support and restrictions in its early players, but this has completely changed in its recent models. Its new players all support MP3, drag & drop without drivers or software and have a long battery life.

This Sony Walkman on Amazon is a good example. Have a look at the user ratings.

It has 16GB capacity, FM Tuner, Drag & drop, 40-hour battery, 5-band equaliser and dimensions of 0.8 x 4.3 x 9 cm. At £90, it’s also cheaper than the 8GB iPod Nano, which also lacks some of these features. :slight_smile:

A colleague at work has an earlier 8GB model and songs and folders can be copied to and from the player through Windows explorer, just like with a pen drive.

The only single drawback my colleague has encountered so far after the past year is that it does not work on iPod docks, but this is the case with any non-iPod as far as I’m aware of.

if you want a cheap quality device with CONTROL over it.

get a Sandisk Sansa e200 series player (get a v1 device. make SURE it’s a v1 as the v2’s aint officially supported yet but they have ‘test builds’ for the v2’s) and put Rockbox on it (www.rockbox.org)

and with Rockbox on it (and not to mention even stock firmware) you will not need any additional software on it to transfer your MP3 etc files to the device as it can all be done through Windows Explorer, which is the way it should be with all devices like this.

i doubt you will be disappointed with that especially for how cheap these can be had nowadays.

I would suggest Sony’s media player: NWZ - S639F with price, features and compatibility in mind. Haven’t had any problems so far …touch wood :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=NBR;2431579]if you want a cheap quality device with CONTROL over it.

get a Sandisk Sansa e200 series player (get a v1 device. make SURE it’s a v1 as the v2’s aint officially supported yet but they have ‘test builds’ for the v2’s) and put Rockbox on it (www.rockbox.org)

and with Rockbox on it (and not to mention even stock firmware) you will not need any additional software on it to transfer your MP3 etc files to the device as it can all be done through Windows Explorer, which is the way it should be with all devices like this.

i doubt you will be disappointed with that especially for how cheap these can be had nowadays.[/QUOTE]

Where can I buy this? I only found one ad on ebay.

Where can I buy this? I only found one ad on ebay.

well ebay is probably the only choice off the top of my head as that’s where i got mine (i.e. a Refurbished Sansa e250) in June 2008 or so.

i just did a quick search on ebay myself here… http://tinyurl.com/yg53y55 , as that is the e260 which has 4GB of internal memory and seems to be in the same price range as the e250 (i got a e250 myself). so in other words it’s pointless to get the 2GB model if you can get the 4GB model for pretty much the same-ish price.

NOTE: before buying any of them you can email a seller your interested in and ask him what version of the firmware is on it as that will tell you if it’s a v1 or v2 device.

The v1 firmware is named 01.xx.xx, while the v2 firmware begins with 03. This version number can be retrieved under Settings->Info.

so basically once you KNOW the device your getting is a v1, then you won’t have any issues for sure :wink: … installing Rockbox is easy to as you basically change the device’s USB stuff into MSC mode from the Sansa’s stock firmware then run a .exe file (which you get from Rockbox’s website) which then changes the bootloader info so that it tells the device to boot Rockbox. then you can copy over the “.Rockbox” folder to the root of the devices internal memory. then safely disconnect and reboot the device and Rockbox should load. that’s the basic idea on installing it. they also have a automated installer but i prefer the more manual way (which i explained here) myself.

also… once Rockbox is installed you will still have access to the original firmware on the device if for some reason you need to boot it by pressing the LEFT (and holding) on the D-PAD when powering ON the device. but there’s no real need to use the stock firmware at all as once Rockbox is installed it can do everything the stock firmware can do and much more. but if on the slim chance you don’t like Rockbox it can be completely uninstalled and it’s not hard to do either so that the device is back to the stock firmware that came with the device.

also… i would avoid the Rhapsody version’s of the e200 series as even though Rockbox still works perfectly fine on it… it’s harder to install vs the standard e200 devices like i got.

p.s. once Rockbox is installed to the device you can use up to 32GB of MicroSDHC cards vs the stock device firmware which only supports regular MicroSD cards up to 2GB which is nothing vs Rockbox :wink: (i have a 8GB MicroSDHC card in my e250 (2GB) device and i have 10GB of space now and the MicroSDHC card works perfect as it shows up as another drive letter in windows explorer)

also… if your planning on using any Video functions Rockbox’s works better than the stock firmware although the e200 series is not a good choice if VIDEO is your primary concern since it’s screen is fairly small. but if your mainly getting a device for AUDIO and want something cheap and have alot of control over it then the e200 series with Rockbox is pretty hard to beat because of it’s expandable memory via MicroSDHC and user-serviceable battery to.