Memorex DVD-R 16X Cakebox (50st) - CMC MAG AM3

Verbatim DVD+R 8X Pearl White (50st) - CMCMAGE01
Verbatim DVD+R 8X (25st) - MCC 003
Plextor DVD+R 16X (50st) - YUDEN000T03
Ricoh DVD+R Ultra Speed 16X (50st) - RICOHJPNR03
Verbatim DVD+R 16x (50st) - MCC 004

I’m not concerned about the cost, it’s the quality that matters
I need to order a bunch for me and for a couple of friends to
my guess would be MCC for -R and TY for +R but I’d really appreciate your input.

I live in belgium and I’m planning on buying from cdrwinkel.com
if anybody has a better place to order or suggest other media please do.
Franksoy told me a while back about digitalpromo so I’m gonna look into that the next couple of days…

thanks in advance for your help,
W.

Generally speaking, any of the MCC Verbatims or the Plextor TY discs should work very well for you. I would probably go with the Plextor +Rs myself, unless you don’t have a 16x burner, in which case you’d be better off with 8x media. For best results with 16x media, you’ll often get your best burn quality at 12x so give that a try.

YUDEN000T03 -Isn’t that good supported at the moment.
So if you want TY then I think your better of with the yuden000t02 printables or blanc TY 8x disc’s at the moment. Quite some burners burn the 8x media better at 16x as TY’s 16x media at 16x.

So I would go for verbatim. 8x or 16x depending on your burner.

No TUFFDISC because there low grade crap.

Cdrwinkel is ok. Yeah compannies like digitalpromo might be cheaper but keep in mind that shipping costs can play a role so it’s the question if it’s cheaper in the end.

You left off the burner, important because different media perform better or worse depending on the burner. You also left off YUDEN000 T02 which is the only media I have found that is almost universally great in any decent burner.

If you really can’t get YUDEN000 T02, then MCC 003 or MCC 004 would be the next choice. MCC 003 will most likely be gone in a while.

thanks for the replies already guys.
one burner is a Plex 712 but the others I don’t know at the moment but I will ask them.
I don’t think there is a 16x burner amongst them so I guess that the T03 will be out of the picture as already 2 people talk about bad support for them…
cdrwinkel doesn’t have T02 available at the moment which is a shame :frowning:

forgot to mention that the -R are for a standalone home recorder of Pioneer

Cdrwinkel does have yudent002 check the links. (also last monday they did sell Plextor 8x DVD+R for one day. The next day it was gone !)

http://www.cdrwinkel.com/main_frame.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=953&category_id=34b1503e540f4dcca6cc442d2ab28a5e
Blank silver

http://www.cdrwinkel.com/main_frame.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=402&category_id=3138b44393dae59e384b955406a852f9
Printable

But because of bonding issues I personally would choose verbatim over them but that’s my personal opinion.

I would strike the Pearl Whites off that list, at the very least for -R.

is thier a way to identify MCC verbatiems without opening the package?

Verbatim +R in the US has been MCC 003 for the 8X and MCC 004 for the 16X. For the -R they are MCC 02RG20 and MCC 03RG20. The variations in manufacturer are between CMC, Prodisc, and MBI. So far no MBI has shown up in the US and finding out whether you get CMC or Prodisc has been rather difficult. Sometimes the box will give it away and other times the number of spacers will but then up pops the exception.

They are very safe to buy, in the US, you will get what you want. CDs are a totally different matter.

As always, things can change.

For the -Rs go with the Verbatims with the MCC codes. For +R, MCC004 is all you’ll need really, as the 712A has great firmware support for them and will burn them at 12x well.

If any media should burn better at 12x in a Plextor PX-712 than MCC 004 media, then I have no idea what it would be; certainly not Taiyo Yuden T02 or T03, nor MCC 003. I’m very happy with MCC 004 media!

MCC 004 media is also really well supported in other 16x burners, but older 8x burners is anybodys guess. If you need to have excellent DVD+R media with broad support in 8x burners, then Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T02) is by far the safest choice; MCC 003 is also good but getting difficult or impossible to get.

Verbatim 16x DVD-R (MCC 03RG20) also burns really well in a Plextor PX-712 (but of course only at 8x), and is well supported in most 16x burners. In general Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R (TYG02) will have broader support, and will burn as well as or better than MCC 03RG20 if you limit burn speed to 8x. My own PX-712A doesn’t really like TYG02 however, unless I burn it at 6x.

I don’t know why you’re not listing Taiyo Yuden (TYG02 and YUDEN000 T02) as choices, because both of these are available at cdrwinkel.com.

I didn’t list them because they have no label and in the past I had TY CD’s without labels and, … well, … it kinda scared me
light, fingerprints…

Unbranded TYs are great. Light shouldn’t be an issue if you store them well (I store my burned ones in cases, in a box, with a lid on it), and as I handle my DVDs by the edges, I don’t get fingerprints on them, either.

Just my two pennies’ worth! :slight_smile:

@the original post, I agree that the MCC Verbatims (not the crappy Pearl White discs) or the 8x Verbatim rebranded Taiyo Yuden, would be your best bets. 25 packs of the Verbatim rebranded 8x Taiyo Yuden DVD-R, are 6.70 pounds from SVP including VAT.

Then you could go for the printable version still. Printable layers can work just as good as labels.
ALso in case of dvd recordables there is a little differnce compared to cd-r’s.
INcase of cd-r’s your toplayed needs to be in good shape. (You shouldn’t damage it or it means dataloss.
Incase of DVD recordables the construction does allow the toplayer of polycabonate to be damaged up to some point.

IN other words you should have no problems with unbranded dvd recordables. Incase of cd-r however you might want to look for something with a good toplayer if you handle your media roughly that is.

Verbatim DVD-R 8X Pearl White (50st) :Z
Verbatim DVD-R 8X MCC Cakebox (25st) - MCC02RG20 :confused: (good in general, but some Made in India batches have firmware compatibility problems)
Tuffdisc Reprint DVD-R 8X (100st) - mixed a-grade :Z
Verbatim DVD-R 16X (50st) - MCC03RG20 :slight_smile: (but more variation in quality than the +R version)
Memorex DVD-R 16X Cakebox (50st) - CMC MAG AM3 :confused: (CMC burning quality depends on your burner/firmware, goes from excellent to total crap, so it’s not a safe bet)

Verbatim DVD+R 8X Pearl White (50st) - CMCMAGE01 :confused: (same remark as for the Memorex CMC)
Verbatim DVD+R 8X (25st) - MCC 003 :slight_smile:
Plextor DVD+R 16X (50st) - YUDEN000T03 :slight_smile: (but not very compatible with all burners/firmwares)
Ricoh DVD+R Ultra Speed 16X (50st) - RICOHJPNR03 :slight_smile: (but not as good as R01 and R02 :()
Verbatim DVD+R 16x (50st) - MCC 004 :iagree: :iagree:

As others, for Taiyos I would recommend the T02 over the T03. More widely compatible.

I don’t think you mentioned your burner… if you have NEC drive, the Verbatim-branded CMC are an option.

Current stock of CDrwinkel for -R is CMC taiwanese ! The +R is Indian !

I don’t think you mentioned your burner… if you have NEC drive, the Verbatim-branded CMC are an option.

Please read the guy said that at least a plextor px-712 is involved but more burner. (CMC will work really nice on benq and NEC !)

just got the brand of the other writer, it’s a Ricoh MP-5240
don’t know if that’s any good though
still 2 drives to go, these drives are both Plex but not sure if they’re 12x or 16x

allright, I just got the other type of drives
2 Plextor 716A
1 Plextor 708A
1 Ricoh MP-5240
1 Pioneer DVD-Recorder (stand-alone)

when reading the posts above I assume this is the best combination of drive/media
Plextor 716A - Plextor DVD+R 16X (50st) - YUDEN000T03
Plextor 708A - Verbatim DVD+R 8X (25st) - MCC 003
Ricoh MP-5240 - Verbatim DVD+R 8X (25st) - MCC 003
Pioneer - Verbatim DVD-R 16X (50st) - MCC03RG20

not sure about the Pioneer though, will a standalone record well on 16x media

Good list IMO.

MCC03RG20 has a very wide speed tolerance, here it burns very well (better than most 8X-rated discs) in my @1X standalone recorder. I guess it will be fine in the Pioneer, but as always, only actually testing it will tell.

You could go to videohelp.com and see what media does well with the exact Pioneer model. :wink: