Which media?

Hey
okay… read through the threads here. I had some Memorex TY media. Excellent stuff, though rapidly getting over. Since they aren’t available in India, I was thinking of getting one of the following:-

Samsung 40X -> seem to be Ritek?
Creation 16X ->Plasmon manufactured
Frontech 32X ->Ritek manufactured
Smart Buy ->Prodisc manufactured

Which one of these should I get? I’ve heard that the Ritek phthalocyanine media (Frontech) are pretty good?
Thanks!

@Bhairav

Go for the the Ritek phthalocyanine media (either Samsung or Frontech) which are similar to the Mitsui phthalocyanine.
The ATIPs supposed to be like that :

ATIP: 97m 15s 17f
Disc Manufacturer: Ritek Co.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

ATIP start of lead in: -02:44:58 (sector: -12358)
ATIP start of lead out: 79:59:74 (sector: 359999)
Manufacturer code: 97 15 17 - Ritek Co. (Type: 7)
Unrestriced use: No
Disc type: Not Rewriteable
Disc subtype: Medium Type A, low Beta category (A-)
Target writing power: 4

Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 15s 17f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = RiTEK JS-dye
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 48X

Good luck ! :smiley:

Hey BoSkin
Thanks m8. I think i’ll get some more of the frontechs and try them out. they seem to be decent quality.
BTW, how are Mitsubishi Chemicals media? Any good?

All right ! :smiley:

Those Verbatim Metal Azo I used to use were of good quality, no complaints abiut it .

@Bhairav

Both the Samsung & Frontechs which are Riteks will do.

Samsung 40x - Ritek have SmartBurn limit of 48x.

My Frontech 32x are Prodisc manufactured & have a SmartBurn limit of 40x.

Go for the ones which are lower in price.
:wink:

Where did you get the Memorex TY Media in Bombay ??? I’d like to try some.

Darshan
I got the Memorex’s from the US earlier this year. No one at Lam. Road seems to have heard anything about them!It’s all Princo,Princo,Princo for them.
Lessee, will get some Frontechs or Sammys this week, convenient cos it’s like 15 minutes away from home
:bigsmile:

@Bhairav

So, no memorex or TY in Bombay. I think I should tell dad to bring a whole spindle from London.

Buy the Frontechs, they are much cheaper.

I just got a few Frontechs…Ritek ones. Good build quality but after burning a few APEs (a losless audio format) and other files, one of the APE files had an error. The version on my hard disk didn’t have it, hence there must have been some problem in burning. So the Frontech’s aren’t 100% reliable - but decent enough most of the times.

Originally posted by ExpertTech
I just got a few Frontechs…Ritek ones. Good build quality but after burning a few APEs (a losless audio format) and other files, one of the APE files had an error. The version on my hard disk didn’t have it, hence there must have been some problem in burning. So the Frontech’s aren’t 100% reliable - but decent enough most of the times.

Well, I haven’t had any probs with both Fontechs (by Ritek) & Frontechs (Prodisc). Frontech’ are nice & so are Princos.

Worst media i have used (worst than unbranded ones) is Digimat. Never burn proper. Wasted a whole 10s pack.

Don’t get those.
:frowning:

@ExpertTech

Have you really developed NABE ???

If yes, I’ll really download & try it.

Call it promoting & encouraging Indian coders/programmers!!! :bigsmile:

hmm… the frontech (prodisc) doesn’t burn well at 48x, for me at least.

at 40x it’s fine.

Originally posted by webcrawler
[B]hmm… the frontech (prodisc) doesn’t burn well at 48x, for me at least.

at 40x it’s fine. [/B]

Just burnt one @ 48x. No error. Everything is green.

Which burner do you have?

sony crx195e1 > LTR-48125W (vs08)

i had loads of errors on the outside of the disc. BTW did you burn a full 700mb??

Originally posted by webcrawler
[B]sony crx195e1 > LTR-48125W (vs08)

i had loads of errors on the outside of the disc. BTW did you burn a full 700mb?? [/B]

Of course, I always fill a CD-R to its max capacity. The CD-R was filled upto 703 MB.

For your info, I have also burnt a Amkette 48x certified media made by Prodisc @ 48x without errors.

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Hey webcrawler … long time! How are you?
Out here, all the Frontechs are now Plasmon or Prodisc, so I went and bought Samsung Premium 40X media. They are Riteks!
Awesome burn quality, and cheap too… at 13 bucks a piece!
Highly recommended!

Originally posted by Bhairav
[B]Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Hey webcrawler … long time! How are you?
Out here, all the Frontechs are now Plasmon or Prodisc, so I went and bought Samsung Premium 40X media. They are Riteks!
Awesome burn quality, and cheap too… at 13 bucks a piece!
Highly recommended! [/B]

Didn’t know that frontech’s were plasmon. I thought they were only prodisc & riteks.

Where do you get these Samsung babies so cheap? I went all through lamingtion road & couldn’t get the price lower than 13.50 bucks even if i buy 20+.

Has anyone tried those fake SmartBoy CD-Rs?

I was lucky because i spotted the difference. Otherwise, I might have bought those accidently thinking they were SmartBuys.

Anyone knows the manufacturer of these SmartBoys?

Originally posted by Bhairav
[B]Hey
okay… read through the threads here. I had some Memorex TY media. Excellent stuff, though rapidly getting over. Since they aren’t available in India, I was thinking of getting one of the following:-

Samsung 40X -> seem to be Ritek?
Creation 16X ->Plasmon manufactured
Frontech 32X ->Ritek manufactured
Smart Buy ->Prodisc manufactured

Which one of these should I get? I’ve heard that the Ritek phthalocyanine media (Frontech) are pretty good?
Thanks! [/B]

Back to the original subject. I think you should get those Amkette 48x certified media (by Prodisc). They are cheap Rs. 12 per piece or even less if you buy more. Very good burn quality. All green sectors even at 48x speed.

Originally posted by darshanjog
[B]@ExpertTech

Have you really developed NABE ???

If yes, I’ll really download & try it.

Call it promoting & encouraging Indian coders/programmers!!! :bigsmile: [/B]

Yes very much :slight_smile:

The idea of NABE came to my mind when I was backing up my own audio CDs. You see usually encoding is a time consuming task and becomes repetitive for different file formats. So I decided to write my own encoder front-end which does the trick.

Once you have your WAVs, you can keep one lossless copy (Monkey’s audio or something else) and one lossy format of your choice (MP3 or Musepack). You can also fit in scans/cue/log etc and put it ont he CD. So you’ve made a complete backup and can re-encode whenever you need it. Also ID3 tags are automatically added.

Do try it out. The only sad part if that I’ve not had enough time to ramp it up in the last few months (very busy with my job) - but will put my hands on it whenever I have time…

Well as far as promoting Indian programmers - I think we Indians deserve it :wink:

Cheers!

Originally posted by ExpertTech
[B]

Yes very much :slight_smile:

The idea of NABE came to my mind when I was backing up my own audio CDs. You see usually encoding is a time consuming task and becomes repetitive for different file formats. So I decided to write my own encoder front-end which does the trick.

Once you have your WAVs, you can keep one lossless copy (Monkey’s audio or something else) and one lossy format of your choice (MP3 or Musepack). You can also fit in scans/cue/log etc and put it ont he CD. So you’ve made a complete backup and can re-encode whenever you need it. Also ID3 tags are automatically added.

Do try it out. The only sad part if that I’ve not had enough time to ramp it up in the last few months (very busy with my job) - but will put my hands on it whenever I have time…

Well as far as promoting Indian programmers - I think we Indians deserve it :wink:

Cheers! [/B]

Well NABE will be the top priority in my next download list.:smiley:

Will surely let you know what i think about it once i get my hands on it.
:wink: