Which media able to burn at 8X?

vbimport

I am having lots difficulty to find a media that’s able to burn at 8X.
Currently, I am using TDK +R 4X , it burns at 4X.
The firm ware is updated to 1.04. I am wondering which is the best to use ?
Is Memorex 4X+R any good?

Hey Gigaman,

Right now I'm using Verbatim 4x dvd+rs w/ media code MCC 002 and it seems really random.  Out of maybe 6 disks, I've burned only 1 at true 8x while the other 5 were at 4x.  Don't know if it's a bad spool because other people have burned these at 8x before but I think it's generally all based on media quality and consistency.  So to answer your question from my experience these aren't too consistent.  Hope this helps some:)

If you’re able to purchase IMATION (RICOH) DVD+R 4x speed discs they burn @8x. Although some standalone dvd players can not play the 8x burned dvds. I’ve experienced the discs skip or lag while being played.

Hey Gigman,

I’m using TDK+R 4X and they burn at quasi 8X, probably a different batch from yours. The leads in and out burn at at 4X but the main burn is 8X. They play fine in several standalones. :confused:

My burning speed…Test…
But I got notthing out of TDK… Damn this 8X thing is getting expensive and so …

Nero CD Speed Test results

General Information

Operating System Windows 2000
Drive PLEXTOR DVDR PX-708A
Firmware Version 1.04
Serial Number 299554
Disc DVD+R
Capacity 4.27 GB

Transfer Rate

Start 3.35x
End 8.03x
Average 6.01x
Type CLV

Log

Time Elapsed Action
[19:02:51] Starting Transfer Rate Test
[19:12:31] 9:40 Speed:3 X CLV (6.01 X average)

I’ve had good luck with any 4X DVD+R RICOHJPNR01 disks. This includes Memorex 4X, Arita 4X, and also I believe Imation and others.

All burn fine at 8x and play in several dvd players that I have tried, including Norcent 302, Sony CX985V 400 disk changer and others.

There is also some information in the FAQ:

The following media is supported at 8x:

[ul][li]Mitsubishi Chemical 8X (2.4X ~ 8X) DTR47U1, DTR47U5
[/li]> [li]Plextor 8X (2.4X ~ 8X) PX-DVD+R4JC1
[/li]> [li]Ricoh 8X (2.4X ~ 8X) DRD-4XPC, DRV-4XPC, DRD-4XCW10, DRD-4XCW5, DRD-4XPC5, DRV-4XCW5, DRV-4XPC5
[/li]> [li]Taiyo Yuden 8X (2.4X ~ 8X) DVDR+D47TY, DVDR+D47TY5P[/ul]A complete list with supported media for the PX-708A and other Plextor drives can be found here. A media list for the PX-708A can also be found here (Dutch website but the table is quite clear for non-Dutch speaking people too).[/li]

I’ve had success at 8x with Memorex 4x DVD+R’s and have been able to sometimes burn at 8x with Verbatim 4x DVD+R’s. I’ve heard through this forum that TDK 4x DVD+R’s will burn at 8x without a problem as well.

One side note: The Verbatim disks may not always reach 8x, but they consistently burn at 6-7x which is still pretty good if you ask me!!

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Originally posted by DVD_ADDICT
If you’re able to purchase IMATION (RICOH) DVD+R 4x speed discs they burn @8x. Although some standalone dvd players can not play the 8x burned dvds. I’ve experienced the discs skip or lag while being played.

Ive bought Imation, start off at 6x then after 3-5%drop down to 4x rest of burn, even tried going back to 1.02 firmware, seems Memorex burns at 8x for me, but has alot of problems in my standalones, TDK 4x burn at 8x better playback, there all ricoh .r01’s…weird, best deal going this week is officemax has arita/ricoh’s .r01’s for $40 , went back to get a second 100 they gave me Imation’s instead, same disc as reported in dvddecryptor:bigsmile:
Weird it shows 8x burning but just burns 4x, well i just got a NEC 2500 and it burns them 6x…i can deal with that.
Plextor need another firmware upgrade…BAD!!!

Thankx all your help… I am still looking for the best media for this 8X DVD writer.
Hopefully, there will be a 8X DVD media out soon

budman62 wrote:

Ive bought Imation, start off at 6x then after 3-5%drop down to 4x rest of burn, even tried going back to 1.02 firmware, seems Memorex burns at 8x for me, but has alot of problems in my standalones, TDK 4x burn at 8x better playback, there all ricoh .r01’s…weird, best deal going this week is officemax has arita/ricoh’s .r01’s for $40 , went back to get a second 100 they gave me Imation’s instead, same disc as reported in dvddecryptor

What was the actual manufacturer of the IMATION discs that started at 6x and dropped down? Were they RICOH? Burning@8x speed will cause some problems in some standalone dvd players. It amazes me that some people want the fastest burn time then comment that the disc doesn’t play correctly in their standalone players. When all that is needed is to burn@ slower speeds.

Originally posted by DVD_ADDICT
It amazes me that some people want the fastest burn time then comment that the disc doesn’t play correctly in their standalone players. When all that is needed is to burn@ slower speeds.
Yes indeed but people just want the fastest results and often don’t know anything about error rates, etc. If Nero (or whatever) reports that the burn was successful (and it was) then they often presume the disc will play perfectly in any player. Anyways, I’ve added this to the FAQ now:

Q I heard something about the new 8x Plextor DVD-recorder (PX-708A/UF) supporting 8x recording to 4x DVD+R media? Is this true?

A Yes it is! Because 8x DVD+R media is in short supply at the moment the Plextor PX-708A can write some 4x DVD+R media at 8x. The following media is supported:

[ul][li]Mitsubishi Chemical 8X (2.4X ~ 8X) DTR47U1, DTR47U5
[/li]> [li]Plextor 8X (2.4X ~ 8X) PX-DVD+R4JC1
[/li]> [li]Ricoh 8X (2.4X ~ 8X) DRD-4XPC, DRV-4XPC, DRD-4XCW10, DRD-4XCW5, DRD-4XPC5, DRV-4XCW5, DRV-4XPC5
[/li]> [li]Taiyo Yuden 8X (2.4X ~ 8X) DVDR+D47TY, DVDR+D47TY5P[/ul]A complete list with supported media for the PX-708A and other Plextor drives can be found here and here. A media list for the PX-708A can also be found here (Dutch website but the table is quite clear for non-Dutch speaking people too). Please note: that when recording discs at 8x it can cause playback problems in standalone DVD players. If this happens lower the recording speed to 4x.[/li]

Daxon, BeALL and CMC magnetics 4X DVD+R also works at 8x with firmware 1.04.

But the BeALL and CMC discs ends up as coasters…hehe…the Daxon discs are fine though.

MCC 003 8x sucks at 8x with the plextor if you care to know.

All in all:
most RICOHJPNR01 and YUDEN000T01 discs works succesfully at 8x for me. Most other discs is a hit ot miss…

Hello guys, I am new to cdfreaks and wanted to say hi.

I have been coresponding with Plextor about my new 708A with 1.06 firmware and have discovered several interesting things. If anyone cares, the Plextor media that Plextor offers is manufactured by MCC (Mitsubishi Chemical) and is also sold under the name of “Verbatim”. Plextor/MCC/Verbatim are all one and the same when talking about media. Plextor also sells Verbatim within their site. The techs at Plextor stated to me that the free DVD±R/RW or CD-R/RW that comes with every Plextor retail package is manufactured by MCC, so anyone who tells you MCC sucks well PLextor themselves doesnt think so as they stated they have had great success with them. My money is on MCC/Verbatim as my media source. The free Plextor/MCC 4X media from my retail 708A package burned fantastic at 8X and the techs at Plextor told me to use them. True they have invested relations with MCC but would they want to send media to its customers that wasn’t up to par? But, then again I am new to DVD burning and am partial to the recomendations of my burners manufacturer. I will try Ricoh, Yuden and Verbatim to see for myself which one consistently works better. Also interested in knowing if anyone has tried Verbatim DataLifePlus 4.7GB 8x DVD+R pn#94812 or 94930?

Anybody use this drive strictly for DVD movie backups? I have 842 DVD movies and have lost a total of 12 (thanks lil brother) due to scratches and general use. I have tried to repair a few to no avail. Anyone recommend a certain disk for DVD movie backup? I don’t intend to lose another $10-20 DVD…

BTW, nice forum…

Plextor has 8x media on their site. Priced a bit high at $14.99 a 5-pack, but their tech support says it will burn at 12x on the new PX-712A drive.

I have burned Plextor’s 8x DVD+R media at 12x with the PX-712A. After writing I’ve used the drive to measure the errors on the disc and the results were great. The Plextor DVD+R discs work extremely well with the Plextor DVD recorders. I thought they were manufactured by Taiyo Yuden but I haven’t checked these 8x discs yet. I have also burned some 8x Taiyo Yuden DVD-R media at 8x with the PX-712A and these were also perfect.

Welcome to the forums btw, }SkOrPn–’

Thanks for the welcome. I thought I would comment on the new drive PX-708A and media I have tried so far. I now have had the drive about three weeks and have tried MCC (supplied from Plextor), TDK 4x pn#dvd+r47ccb15, Memorex DVD+R 4x unknown pn#, and Verbatim DVD+R recommended PN# 94676 and also Memorex CD-R pn# 32024563 52X, and all have burned beautifully and worked flawlessly in my Sony DVD player. I have made several coasters due to the program I was using but I since discovered the problem and stopped using it. I am wondering how I go about measuring the errors after I have burned the media so I could see for myself which disks are working better for me? Anyway, thanks for the welcome and yes the Verbatim seems to work just fine. BTW, the Memorex 4x DVD+R was purchased at CompUSA for $1 a disk, the TDK also at Comp for about a $1.5 a disk and I got the Verbatim online at Buy.com for $1.16 a disk ($58 for a 50pk and free shipping)…

i successfully burnt @ 8X using Imation DVD+R discs.

I get decent burns with MCC003 @ 8x, but they’re not nearly as nice as TY 4x @ 8x. MCC003’s okay at 12x–DVDs work in all my burners and standalone, but PI/PO scans are nothing to write home about.

Unfortunately only a few drives are able to measure errors on a DVD disc. The Lite-On drives work with KProbe, the Plextor PX-712A can measure errors with PlexTools. Nero CD-DVD Speed can also measure disc quality. For a list of supported drives you can check the CD Speed homepage here.