Which manufacturers have gone out of business in the past five years?

vbimport

I read in an older post that Daxson bit the dust. Which other manufactures of CD and DVD recordable media have dropped out within the past five years? I’m guessing Princo isn’t one of 'em. You’d think they would’ve faded as fast as their early blank discs. We should give them a proper burial right next to those squealing Recoton cassettes.

Sidenote: No, I don’t wish for Princo to disappear. Let’s just hope that they’ve learned from their past mistakes (or have they :confused: )

[QUOTE=derfsurf;2539476]I read in an older post that Daxson bit the dust. Which other manufactures of CD and DVD recordable media have dropped out within the past five years?[/QUOTE]

At least 50 manufacturers went out of business during the last 5 years. Here are some that I can remember right now:

Vanguard Disc Inc. (Taiwan)
Advanced Digital Media S.r.l. (Italy)
Creation Optical Greece S.A. (Greece)
SkyMedia Manufacturing S.A. (Switzerland)
Delphi Technology Inc. (Taiwan)
Digital Disc Dessau (Germany)
Euro Digital Disc Gorlitz (Germany)
3A Media (Austria)
Grupo Condor (Spain)
Digital Valley (France)
E-Top Navigator Technology Inc. (Taiwan)
Nan-Ya Optical Media (Taiwan)
Postech Corp. (Taiwan)
Koda Technology Limited (Hong-Kong)
Computer Support Italcard (Italy)
MAM-E (France)
Hellodisc Technology Co., Ltd (Taiwan)
Mirage Recordable Media (Hong Kong)
Starworld (Hong Kong)
Phoenitech Ltd. (Hong Kong)
Promedia International Ltd. (Hong Kong)
OPTEK DISK MANUFACTURING COMPANY (India)
Tarako International (Taiwan)
Acme S. P. A. (Italy)
UL TRAN Technology & Service Corp. (Taiwan)
Eximpo a.s. (Czech republic)
Sentinel B.V. (Belgium)
Trendes d.o.o. (Slovenia)
Sohanaa International (India)
DCD Line (Israel)
AOD Group (Netherlands)
Coustomer Pressing Oosterhout (Netherlands)

Thanks Pepst. When did SkyMedia call it quits? I searched around a bit and saw their most recent logo, but I do recall a “Sky” branded CD-R that was at one time offered all over Ebay. The logo of those I saw had a tilted word of SKY with some curved lines from the top right. Were these earlier discs made by SkyMedia or a “Sky” brand by a different manufacturer? I’d post a pic, but I can’t find any examples at the moment.

[QUOTE=derfsurf;2539567]Thanks Pepst. When did SkyMedia call it quits? I searched around a bit and saw their most recent logo, but I do recall a “Sky” branded CD-R that was at one time offered all over Ebay. The logo of those I saw had a tilted word of SKY with some curved lines from the top right. Were these earlier discs made by SkyMedia or a “Sky” brand by a different manufacturer? I’d post a pic, but I can’t find any examples at the moment.[/QUOTE]

SkyMedia went bankrupt in 2006, but they already stopped media production in Switzerland in the end of 2004.
The “curved lines Sky” brand was used by Promedia International Ltd. (Hong Kong, they went out of business about 2 years ago), SkyMedia Manufacturing’s “Sky” brand has a totally different design: http://ez647.sk/sky.html

UPDATE of the list:
Fujifilm Recording Media GmbH (Germany)
TDK Recording Media Europe S.A. (Luxembourg)
ACME Media (Italy)
Optimedia Technologies (Albania)
Arcadia Digital (Greece)
Oditec (Greece)
Advanced Media Corporation (Japan)

U never cease to amaze us with this kind of knowledge! :flower:

[QUOTE=dave.evill;2539587]U never cease to amaze us with this kind of knowledge! :flower:[/QUOTE]

Thanks. :o

UPDATE: Memory Tech Sdn Bhd / MJC Pte Ltd. (Malaysia/Singapore)
Primedisc Technologies GmbH (Germany)
CD VIDEO S.p.A (Italy)
Asia Pioneer (Hong Kong)
TECHNO PLUS Digital Disc Producers S.p.A. (Italy)

I remember Primedisc too. Wow, this is quite a long list.

Roughly how many companies are still in business making CD-R and/or DVDR? You don’t have to list them here, but a ballpark figure would be good. That current list of defunct companies makes me weary of the future for recordable media.

Well, there could be a bright side to this though. I’m guessing many of those companies didn’t make the greatest of media and probably won’t be missed in the long run. Were there any good ones in that mix? If so, which ones are worth scopping out before no stock is left?

By the way Pepst, I’ve been searching around for 90min and 99min media. Are there any companies around still making these and where can I get a 50-pack in the USA? Thanks for your help.

[QUOTE=derfsurf;2540975]Roughly how many companies are still in business making CD-R and/or DVDR?[/QUOTE]
My guess is about 35 - 40.

Well, there could be a bright side to this though. I’m guessing many of those companies didn’t make the greatest of media and probably won’t be missed in the long run. Were there any good ones in that mix? If so, which ones are worth scopping out before no stock is left?

3A Media’s, TDK’s and Advanced Media Corporation’s DVDRs were quite good, but it’s virtually impossible to buy them these days. Also, CD-Rs from TDK, Fujifilm, AOD Group & Primedisc were decent but they have the same availability problems.

By the way Pepst, I’ve been searching around for 90min and 99min media. Are there any companies around still making these and where can I get a 50-pack in the USA? Thanks for your help.

Prodisc, Ritek and few smaller Chinese companies (Banana Digital, etc.) are still making “oversized” CD-R, hope these links will help you:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4478
http://www.burnsmart.com/ProductDetails.asp?HistoryRemove=213&ProductCode=2171&historysingle=YES
http://www.meritline.com/prodisc-cdr-24x-silver-certified-90r24s-90min100b-blank-media---p-18208.aspx
http://www.justeasyorder.com/computers/blank-cd-dvd/ris-99-minutes-870mb-ultra-high-capacity-cd-r-50-pack-spindle

Hmm I think sentinel went bankrupt earlier as the 5 years period. so not fair to list them.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=pepst;2541022]My guess is about 35 - 40.

3A Media’s, TDK’s and Advanced Media Corporation’s DVDRs were quite good, but it’s virtually impossible to buy them these days. Also, CD-Rs from TDK, Fujifilm, AOD Group & Primedisc were decent but they have the same availability problems.[/quote]

I would put FUJIFILM cd-r’s n the good position. Actually FUJI’s cd-r media I would put in the list of recommended media for most drives. If it didn’t work right on a drive then blame the drive, because the media is/was really good, but some drives only burn it ok.:frowning:
FUJI’s media is/was stable and at higher speeds gave me better results as TY.
AOD shouldn’t be listed in the decent part. Yes they can give very good initial scans, but the media simply doesn’t seem to last longer as 3 years.

[QUOTE=pepst;2541022]My guess is about 35 - 40.[/QUOTE]

Now that I think of it, it’d be a good idea to start a new post of manufacturers that are still active. Unless one already exists. I’ll get the ball rolling with a new post after I reply to this.

3A Media’s, TDK’s and Advanced Media Corporation’s DVDRs were quite good, but it’s virtually impossible to buy them these days. Also, CD-Rs from TDK, Fujifilm, AOD Group & Primedisc were decent but they have the same availability problems.

Yeah, that’s what I thought. What happens to the stock when the company goes under? Do the stores do blowout sales to clear the shelves or is everything just dumped? Could some of these discs still exist in a warehouse somewhere, maybe by someone who bought the liquidated stock?

Prodisc, Ritek and few smaller Chinese companies (Banana Digital, etc.) are still making “oversized” CD-R, hope these links will help you:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4478
http://www.burnsmart.com/ProductDetails.asp?HistoryRemove=213&ProductCode=2171&historysingle=YES
http://www.meritline.com/prodisc-cdr-24x-silver-certified-90r24s-90min100b-blank-media---p-18208.aspx
http://www.justeasyorder.com/computers/blank-cd-dvd/ris-99-minutes-870mb-ultra-high-capacity-cd-r-50-pack-spindle

Excellent, thanks! I’ll try them on my PC burner since my laptop drive can’t seem to go past the 79:59 mark.

[QUOTE=derfsurf;2541454]Could some of these discs still exist in a warehouse somewhere, maybe by someone who bought the liquidated stock?[/QUOTE]
It’s possible but unlikely. I doubt that there any large quantity media stocks left after the closure of TDK Recording Media Europe S.A. .

Excellent, thanks! I’ll try them on my PC burner since my laptop drive can’t seem to go past the 79:59 mark.[/QUOTE]
Which ones are you going to buy?

[QUOTE=pepst;2541532]Which ones are you going to buy?[/QUOTE]

I’ll start with the Prodisc 90’s. If I can get my LG drive to burn them to the max, then I’ll try the Banana Digitals. It’d be great to make longer mixes and the 90’s would be great for this. And if my drive can burn up to 99mins, the more time the better.

I know these days having an mp3 player is good if you’re listening to music for hours, but I’d rather hear my tunes from a physical medium. Then again, I’m from the ‘old school’ of doing things going back to the mixtape days.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2541344]I would put FUJIFILM cd-r’s n the good position. Actually FUJI’s cd-r media I would put in the list of recommended media for most drives. If it didn’t work right on a drive then blame the drive, because the media is/was really good, but some drives only burn it ok.:frowning:
FUJI’s media is/was stable and at higher speeds gave me better results as TY.[/QUOTE]

It’s sad to see Fuji drop out, just like Kodak dropping away from making their own media years back. Same goes for TDK. Shame.

AOD shouldn’t be listed in the decent part. Yes they can give very good initial scans, but the media simply doesn’t seem to last longer as 3 years.

Well, for throwaways, then burning on them would be fine. But that’s some poor longevity there. Are you sure you didn’t get a bad batch?

Update: Maxell (how could I forgot about them! :doh:)
Euro Silver Group (Bulgary)
Optical Storage (Bulgary)

New Star Digital (Korea, formerly known as Infodisc Korea)

[QUOTE=pepst;2539516]

Eximpo a.s. (Czech republic)

[/QUOTE]

To my much surprise, Eximpo has just restarted the production of the DVDR media (after more than 4 years) :eek::eek: . Now they are manufacturing the special, anorganic DVD+Rs called “DataTresorDiscs”.: http://www.datatresordisc.eu/en_home.php?l=en_

Oh well, not that they got sponsored by the EU now…just a thought.

CMR Technology, Inc., (USA, went out of business in late nineties or early 2000’s)
Helix International (USA, went out of business in late nineties)
Tin Man Enterprises (USA, went out of business in late nineties)

Info Source Multi Media Ltd. (Hong Kong)

Fortex Computer Industrial Complex Co. (Iran)