Which manufacturer has the best firmware support?

vbimport

hey guys.

I am deciding to get a new Slimdrive for my Lifebook E-7110 and would like to know which of the following manufacturers has the best firmware support for slim-drives?

1. NEC
  2. LG
  3. LiteOn
  4. Samsung

thx a lot.

ng Markus

[QUOTE=kontschi;2039021]hey guys.

I am deciding to get a new Slimdrive for my Lifebook E-7110 and would like to know which of the following manufacturers has the best firmware support for slim-drives?

1. NEC
  2. LG
  3. LiteOn
  4. Samsung

thx a lot.

ng Markus[/QUOTE]

Find out if your Laptop CAN recognize a dvd burner even first…

Also add optiarc to the list.

I am sure, that my Lifebook E-7110 can recognize a DVD/RW-drive, at least a DVD/RW from LG and Panasonic.

so what about the a) quality and b) firmware-support of

1. NEC
  2. LG
  3. LiteOn
  4. Samsung
  5. Optiarc

greez

Markus

Too much variety with all of them.

Try LG, NEC and [B]Optiarc[/B].

@ kontschi,

It depends on which particular Manufacture/Model Number DVD Burner you are referring to. Generally all DVD Manufactures only provide Optimal DVD Burner Firmware updates for about a 9 month time frame at most and many times less than that time frame. The DVD Manufactures are interested in selling new DVD Burns and if they provided meaningful optimal Burner Firmware updates for an extended time frame that would discourage customers from purchasing a new DVD Burner. I have many DVD Burners sitting in a box in my closet and the only thing wrong with them is that they lack Firmware updates that would allow me to Burn the newer DVD Media at Optimal Burn quality.

In short no matter what Manufacture/Model Number DVD Burner you purchase only realistically anticipate full OPTIMAL DVD Burner Firmware support for less than a year.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=chef;2039102]Find out if your Laptop CAN recognize a dvd burner even first…[/QUOTE]No need to worry about this chef. :wink:
I’m running NEC 6650 on a 8+ years old (CompaQ 440) lappy.
Note, my guess OP’s Philips Lifebook is using $845 chipset.

The problem here is to find a ½’’ DVD burner that supports [I]Liggy’s [/I]or [I]codeguys[/I] bootcode flasher in case you’ll need to switch drive IDE position, example.
[I]kontschi, [/I]look for NEC 7550 burner.

BTW, Liggy&Dee-27 also have a very good firmware support for NEC/Optiarc drives. :smiley:

It wasn’t in his list, but Plextor supports its drives with firmware updates for quite a while.

It’s been quite awhile now (about two years) since Plextor actually manufacture any DVD Burners. The last “Plextor” labeled DVD Drive actually manufactured by Plextor is the Model Number PX-760. All “Plextor” labeled DVD Drives after Model Number PX-760 are not actually manufactured by Plextor anymore but are actually rebadged DVD Burners from various DVD Drive manufactures. For Example: A “Plextor” PX-810(SA) is actually just a re- badge Pioneer DVR-212 DVD Burner.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2039495]It wasn’t in his list, but Plextor supports its drives with firmware updates for quite a while.[/QUOTE]

AFAIK, their Slimtype drives are Pioneer rebadges.