Which LiteOn for scans?

Hi,

I have a Pioneer 111d for my burns but we all know that its pretty useless as a scanner. I was looking at the LiteOn 165/160 series as I’ve read that they are good scanners. Unfortunately they are quite hard to come by and I can get the LiteOn DH-20A4P-21C for around £16. Does anyone know if it scans as well as the 165/160 series?

Cheers.

Hi [B]v0id[/B], welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

The 20A4 series is very similar to the 20A1 series, so I’m assuming they have similar scanning behaviour.

For scanning DVDs these drives are good scanners; they have some quirks that make me prefer my LiteOn 165P6S for scanning, mainly when scanning at high speed (they don’t speed up properly before the scan starts unless you do it manually).

All recent LiteOn DVD burners are poor CD scanners, however.

Hi vOid,
the DH-20A4P is the latest drive from LiteOn and it’s surely a good DVDs scanner.
It has the same chipset of the LH-20A1P and perhaps it’s a better choice to make scans of DVD-R at 4x and not 8x. This because you can get more PIE/PIF errors at the beginning of the disc.
I’m not sure that the DH-20A4P produces the same result but you can look the specific thread. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the welcome and advice Drage :)…and mognegna.

Even if the 20A4 is not quite as good as the 165P6S I’d still be tempted because of the low price.

I don’t need to scan CDs, just DVDs. Is it a pain to speed the drive up manually?

Would it be ok for scanning DVD+R? This is what I wish to scan.

Are there any other drives that I should be looking at for scanning purposes?

[QUOTE=v0id;1929839]Thanks for the welcome and advice Drage :)…and mognegna.

Even if the 20A4 is not quite as good as the 165P6S I’d still be tempted because of the low price.

I don’t need to scan CDs, just DVDs. Is it a pain to speed the drive up manually?

Would it be ok for scanning DVD+R? This is what I wish to scan.

Are there any other drives that I should be looking at for scanning purposes?[/QUOTE]

The DH-20A3P has a different chipset and seems a better scanner at 8x.
Sorry for other drives, LiteOn is the only one. Real Plextor is died.

Ok, thats good to know. I can get the DH-20A3P for a pound more :slight_smile:

Would it be better than the DH-20A4P for DVD+R?

[QUOTE=v0id;1929845]Ok, thats good to know. I can get the DH-20A3P for a pound more :slight_smile:

Would it be better than the DH-20A4P for DVD+R?[/QUOTE]

They are very similar. :slight_smile: