Which LiteOn burner do I have?

vbimport

I bought it new as a “LiteOn iHAS120” in April 2013. In that age I didn’t know anything about the manufacturers/marketing technique of developing infinite versions or plain different models manufactured by either yourself, a 3rd party or a competitor, sell all of them with a “main” brand and model name (“LiteOn iHAS120” in this case), and name each real model with additional characters that are basically hidden to the user, in theory until you have the unit in your hands (and have already paid for it, lol).

So I installed it w/o caring about the brand/model stickers. I used it until yesterday for what I had bought it mainly: burning rewritable high speed DVD’s (+RX 8x and -RW 6x). While installed it always showed up as a “Liteon iHAS120 X” in Windows (notice the two spaces between “120” and “X”). Beyond doubt it has a NEC chipset if it matters (it responds to ImgBurn’s bitsetting comands for NEC, it doesn’t respond to bitsetting or advanced commands for any other brand including LiteOn, and I’ve used firmware related tools for NEC on it with success).

I haven’t found a single firmware for it (neither better, nor worse, nor newer, nor older, nor the same) nor ways to patch its current one. I finally got fed up of its failures to write my DVD+RW 8x at 8x (it frequently falls back to 3x, 3x I repeat) and yesterday I installed a replacement (a Samsung SH-224BB if you’re curious, that to summarize plays well with my high speed DVD’s, a bit conservative with the initial zones at lower speeds if at all, and updating the firmware to SB01 improved a whole lot the PIE/PIF counts although the 2 or 3 SB00 discs I did were readable). Now I want to sell the LiteOn drive.

Problem: I’m not sure about model or specs. Besides Windows, there’s a sticker saying it’s a “iHAS120 X” (I’ve put a few spaces between “120” and “X” like in the sticker), but there’s another sticker (more clear to see) saying “Model: iHAS120-04 XU”, whose specs are different:

LiteOn iHAS120-04 XU
2MB buffer
writes DVD±R9 at 8x
writes CD-RW(US) at 32x

Source: several online shops, specially from Brazil and Kazakhstan.

LiteOn iHAS120 X
512kB buffer
writes DVD±R9 at 12x
writes CD-RW(US) at 24x

Source: this pdf (the only document with iHAS120 X specs I’ve found).

While I had my drive installed, I believe some program (possibly ImgBurn and/or Nero) said it has 512kB buffer, and I’m sure it’s limited to 24x with CD-RW(US) discs (I’ve got two of them rated at 32x and that can be written at such speed by all my other burners).

So it’s more likely an iHAS120 X . But, what is the other sticker doing here?

How do I explain this to a buyer? Somebody please knows how to explain it to me in first place?

Is there any online LiteOn site with the specs?

It should read “[B]it always showed up as a “ATAPI iHAS120 X”[/B] in Windows” instead of “Liteon iHAS120 X”.

See if you can dump your drive’s firmware with Binflash and provide it to me. I should then be able to tell you, which drive yours is based on.

However it seems that LiteOn required the remaining parts of Optiarc and now uses that technology for their own drives.

I had written this before seeing your post…

After some research I think that the most correct model name is “LiteOn iHAS120-04”. If at all I’d explain that “XU” is a code of the hw version or revision, and “iHAS120 X” an alternate name like the ones LiteOn likes to give :stuck_out_tongue: .

I’ve seen a number of Western Europe (I’m from Spain) hw sites that sell a “LiteOn iHAS120-04” model with the same speed specs (info about buffer size is absent) as the ones listed in the pdf linked above for my “LiteOn iHAS120 X” (DVD±R 20x, RVR±R9 12x, DVD±RW 8x/6x, DVD-RAM 12x, CD-R 48x, CD-RW 24x). The most interesting link is http://www.amazon.co.uk/LiteOn-IHAS120-04-AllWrite-Height-Internal/dp/B00B4SJZQW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_1 because a customer review tells that the burner shows up as “ATAPI iHAS120 X” in Windows, like mine.

http://www.liteonit.eu/en/optical-storage-dvd-rw-internal/ihas120-04/specification.html

LiteOn has this “iHAS120-04” model in its web, with no buffer size info either and the same speed specs, except DVD±R 24x!!! I suppose it’s wrong but… could it happen??? (I didn’t burn a single DVD±R with my drive). Anyone knows for sure?

I was able to dump the firmware and I’m still keeping it. Sorry if the answer is obvious but, how do I send it to you?

Err…

I think you have it slightly flipped. iHAS120 X is the most correct model name, including hardware version/revision. This is important to note; given the wide variety of hardware revisions, we treat a given hardware revision as its own model. It has been this way for quite some time.

The -04 just indicates packaging and distribution channel. So if a site puts information including 8x ±R DL (±R9), 2MB buffer, etc, it is probably information from the OLD iHAS120 6 (a much older hardware revision, from before 22x and 24x drives, the last strictly 20x hardware revision). This old iHAS120 6 was also released with a -04 packaging designation, as well as others (-06, -08). It is this way with all LiteOn’s drives.

The new info you found matches up with the last Optiarc hardware, with a small buffer, 12x DVD±R9 write capability, and (I suppose) a slower CD-RW speed. That is probably accurate for the iHAS120 X.

I think (I hope) they would have kept their naming convention consistent, to say that the iHAS120 was locked to 20x maximum. If they allowed it to go up to 24x (the last Optiarc hardware was 24x capable), they probably would have let the model name be iHAS124 like they have done in the past.

So sell it as the iHAS120 X hardware revision with NEC (not MediaTek) chipset, with the conservative 20x ±R, 12x ±R9, 24x CD-RW US speeds and 512KB buffer. That is more important that mentioning the -04 packaging designation.

Firmware sent.

So “iHAS120-04” means “iHAS120” commercially speaking. That’s how I bought it lol. I mean: the 04’s, 06’s etc sound like the Samsung BEBE’s and MIDS’s, irrelevant for specs, usability,…

I could put a title like “Recorder LiteOn iHAS120 X, the one known as iHAS120-04”. It’s precise and short enough, it could arouse users curiosity and I don’t go against “iHAS120-04”. Actually I benefit it: users can confirm my specs in many hw sites and not only in a pdf at a web with strange name.

Sorry for the confusion, but the firmware has been sent now, not when I said before. For some reason it was in the Outbox and hasn’t been sent until I’ve opened Outlook, clicked in the Outbox and clicked in the email.

I’m not checking my mail too often. But got the file in the meantime.

The drive seems to be very similar to the iHAS122 W or iHAS124 W, but has a different bootcode. In NEC/Optiarc terms, it would probably be named AD-7320S

I’ve bought this drive, too, in the opinion to get a new scanner for my broken iHAS524. But I got this new iHAS120 X (Firmware FL02)with build

in Renesas chipset R8J32091NP. I tried some tests with NeroDiscSpeed and OptiDriveControl, but you can just select MAX. speed and 15x speed for scanning. So, I used NeroDriveSpeed to reduce the max speed to 8x which seems to be successful. Now I have to make some further tests to compare the results with other known working drives like BenQ and Optiarc. Generally the build in chipset seems to have the capability to make quality scans, but I don’t know if they are proofed. You can dump the firmware with Liggys Binflash 1.63. I don’t know if you can xflash the drive to an Optiarc. Optiarc used other chipsets until 7280, I believe. The R8J32091NP chipset could be the successor of the never released 73xx series of Optiarc, which could be the reason for the scanning capability.

I thought Optiarc stopped production last year? Now it looks like that most actual Liteons are made by/with Optiarc-hardware.

To me it rather looks like LiteOn acquired parts of Optiarc’s drive business.

Must be a big part :wink:

I bought altely Liteon 120, 122 and 524. And it looks like the only real Liteon is the 524.

I don´t know something about this Optiarc-thing and wondered why CDSpeed shows a total different scan-behaviour with 120/122, the PIF/Quality-index looked very strange for Mediatek-drives.

So when they use Renesas, it´s also strange, my old LG Renesas-drives don´t want to scan

And if Liteon quittíng the game of ODDs, why they acquired Optiarc-production?

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2703800]So when they use Renesas, it´s also strange, my old LG Renesas-drives don´t want to scan[/QUOTE]
The Renesas chipsets they’re using NOW are based on old NEC chipsets, while previous Renesas chipsets had a completely different design. :slight_smile:

OK :wink:

The last Renesas-LG I used was a 22NS40, I guess. I´m not sure about it´s scan-abilities.

2day I don´t have one Renesas-based LG (how could that happen?), can´t do any experiments

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2703809]OK :wink:

The last Renesas-LG I used was a 22NS40, I guess. I´m not sure about it´s scan-abilities.[/QUOTE]

That was a pre-merger old-school Renesas design. No scanning is supported (unless LG or Renesas know something we don’t).

Still wonder why LG uses MTK now, I liked the old Renesas-LGs

i have a [B]LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S BPSA and cant find the driver anywhere
[/B]

Driver? Why you need a driver?

Every burning-program have drivers for writers.

you shouldn’t need a driver for a burner, windows has like all the optical drive drivers you need, are you meaning firmware? in which case there are many resources, firmwarehq.com and others a simple google search can show you. Not to mention smartpack…

As for anyone still searching for compatible firmwares, i suggest you check your PCB in the drive’s chipset with your eyes, yes open the drive up, and then check out KTL’s chart and find which drive you have the same chipset as and likely that’ll be what firmware you can use or crossflash…hopefully you do a bit of research to your drive and if its crossflashable and others experience before you run into flashing any firmware to a drive your working/havign trouble with.

This drive is old and this series wasn´t good, I wouldn´t spend much time on this