Which Lite-On for Scanning?

vbimport

I know this must have been asked a million times, but the search didn’t help…

First of all these are the burners I currently own:
Pioneer DVR-106D (FW 1.08).
Pioneer DVR-115D (Should be here tomorrow or Saturday…hopefully).
LTR-24103S @ LTR-40125S <-- 6 years old in 2 weeks, and still working great:bow::clap: Probably the best CDR drive I ever owned.
SOHR-5238S (I believe).

All ODD’s are in use as I have several PC’s.

Why didn’t the search help? basically because I may be able to buy a new SHM-165P6S:D
I know the SHM-165P6S was a great ODD back then, or AFAIK all 6S ODD’s, but I’m not sure how they compare to current ODD’s.

What am I looking for?
Main thing is that it does decent scans and hopefully lasts as long as my LTR-24103S, but that’s probably too much to ask for.

It would be nice if it did some nice burns on mostly quality media but it sure isn’t necessary…Uhhmm today I ordered some iffy stuff like: Verbatim DVD+R 16X (MCC 004), TDK DVD-R 16x (TTH02) and Philips DVD+R DL 8x (Possibly RICOHJPN D01) as my money tree doesn’t grow well in winter:disagree:

Should I buy the SHM-165P6S or would you recommend another drive? If so, which one?
SATA or PATA doesn’t matter, I’m also aware that there won’t be any FW updates for the SHM-165P6S, but I’m pretty sure most of you would buy the SHM-165P6S w/o hestitation just like you would buy a BenQ 1640 (Of course the BenQ would be your first pick, wouldn’t it?).

The LTR-40125S or SOHR-5238S should make good CDR scanners :slight_smile:

I think the SHM-165P6S is a terrific (DVD) scanner at 8x. It’s not over-forgiving like some LiteOn drives can be IMO.

And Verbatim 16x +R (MCC004), iffy?! No way! That’s the good stuff :slight_smile:

As for whether it’ll burn the other media. The TDK could be OK as long as you keep to 8x burn speed. The Philips, I personally wouldn’t have bought :wink:

Off-topic: I love the cat part in your sig :bigsmile:

Thanks for your reply.

The CDRW drives served me well so far, but I only just thought about doing some cross testing:o I will post results once I have some more different media (I was runnig out on everything, usually I order some stuff about every 6 months, now it took me more than a year:eek:).

My bad for listing the Verbatim DVD+R 16X (MCC 004) as iffy (Hasty copy/paste job from the confirmation e-mail, and I also like to blame the beer I drank:p).

I wasn’t planning on burning the TDK’s @ more than 8x (12x at most), but thats also a reason why I needed a decent scanner so I can do some testing, and of course because I’ve been burning DVD’s way too long w/o knowing the best strategy.

About the Philips, I only bought a 10 pack and I just couldn’t justify spending about twice as much knowing I’ll order a 25 pack of the good DL stuff late March, OTOH after I’ve seen some more scans I wish I did spend a bit more.
Oh well, soon we’ll see how crappy they are.

Gave the shop a call today, they no longer have the 165P6S:sad: so I picked up a 20A4P:p Hardly any choice locally (mostly Samsung and LG) and most (If not all) pricewatch sites in the Netherlands don’t even have the 20A4P listed, WTF:confused:

Now I only have to wait for the 115D to arrive (Should be early next week as their supplier hasn’t delivered the HDD I also ordered yet:().
Time to decide which drive(s) go in which PC…

Off-topic: I have 2 cats but I didn’t have the guts to give it a try…yet.
BTW: Looking at your avatar and because you liked the cat part I assume you like cats too? If so, I wonder if it’s a coincidence that so many computer/hardware lovers like cats, but then again cats and dogs are probably the most favorite pets…mmm maybe it’s time for a poll:p

[QUOTE=KILLorBE;2010197]

Gave the shop a call today, they no longer have the 165P6S:sad: so I picked up a 20A4P:p Hardly any choice locally (mostly Samsung and LG) and most (If not all) pricewatch sites in the Netherlands don’t even have the 20A4P listed, WTF:confused:

Now I only have to wait for the 115D to arrive (Should be early next week as their supplier hasn’t delivered the HDD I also ordered yet:().
Time to decide which drive(s) go in which PC…

Off-topic: I have 2 cats but I didn’t have the guts to give it a try…yet.
BTW: Looking at your avatar and because you liked the cat part I assume you like cats too? If so, I wonder if it’s a coincidence that so many computer/hardware lovers like cats, but then again cats and dogs are probably the most favorite pets…mmm maybe it’s time for a poll:p[/QUOTE]

Well, a 20A4P and a 115D should make a great pair :iagree:…shame they ran out of stock on the 165P6S, but if you scan at 4x the 20A4P should be just as good :slight_smile:

Haha, I think so many computer/hardware lovers like cats because they’re easy to keep…so more time to spend playing with the “toys” :bigsmile:

Yep, maybe you should start a poll in the Living Room :smiley: