Which Lite-on DVD drives can backup copy protected CD's?

Is there an uptodate list of which copy protections Lite-On DVD Writers can backup, e.g. safedisc etc?

I want to buy a Lite-On DVD Writer to replace my dying Plextor CD Writer (thinking of the Lite-On 812S), but I don’t want to end up buying 2 drives, i.e. one for writing DVD’s and one for general CD writing and backing up any copy protected CD I buy.

Is there any DVD writer that can do both jobs?

AFAIK, all the LiteOn DVD burners have the same copy protection performance.

This might give you a clue :

Lite-On LDW-811S DVD±R/RW - Advanced tests

Lite-On LDW-411S DVD±RW - Advanced tests

Are LiteOn DVD-ROM’s as good as DVD burners at this task?

Thanks BoSkin, if I read between the lines all ‘newer’ Lite-On DVD writers should perform like the 811S?

I’ve just not seen any specific info for the 812S yet, and I’m itching to order something soon.

Also, is booktype supported in the 812S yet? If so, which and where is the firmware update?

On the 812S, it does well with copy protections… Only it reads bad sectors slower…

My Cd-Writer reads through them really quick…

Bit-Setting is not supported yet for the 812S, but hopefully the next firmware release will allow that with the current LiteOn BitSetting software or an updated version of it…

Looks like an 812S will be being ordered soon :slight_smile:

The bitsetting is not that important for now, but if I change my DVD Player it may be required provided a firmware update comes out supporting it :wink:

Thanks for the input people.

The 812S will support bit setting. It’s just a matter of time. :iagree:

I bought the 811S for the same reason: I wanted to have a DVD writer which is able to backup protected CDs as well (EFM). Although it is definitely a 2-sheep writer, when I tried to backup a cd with a huge amount of bad sectors I stopped after 12 hours because only a few percent of the bad sectors were finished so far.
THIS DRIVE DOES NOT SUPPORT “INTELLIGENT SEARCH FOR BAD SECOTS”.
I ended up with another drive: LTR 52327S :bigsmile:

Quality of DVD -R burning is not acceptable, +R is very good.
Hope this helps.

Originally posted by TschensBrems
THIS DRIVE DOES NOT SUPPORT “INTELLIGENT SEARCH FOR BAD SECOTS”.

Actually it does, it just doesnt speed through them like a Toshiba or a regular LiteOn CD-Writer…

Most bad sectors end soon after 10000 anyway…

well, reading 100 bad sectors took about 3 hours. this is definitely NOT “intelligent”.
by the way, there were about 6000 bad sectors on this cd. thats why i decided to stop the process after one night.
with the 52327S it took about half an hour for the hole cd.

Thats funny, cause it took about 10 mins to read through 10000 sectors on both my 811S and 812S…

Its less than a min with my LTR-48125W…

I think there might be kind of “different versions” of bad sectors. the cd I have is really weird. when i try to copy all files from this cd to the harddisk, as soon as the reading process comes to the area where the bad sectors are, the whole system hangs, even CTRL+ALT+Del doesn help. Only a hardware reset helps. With my LiteOn 811, i even cannot stop the reading process when trying to copy with Cloncd or alcohol 120 without a 100% system hang. Seems to be a really hard to read cd.
Also on my sons PC with his Liteon 48246S it took a little bit more than half an hour to read the whole cd - so it is not an “only on one pc” issue.

Then Id say 30mins is a good time… As long as it doesnt take longer than 30mins to read the CD, I think your in good shape…

But Id bet if you tried that same CD on a Toshiba drive you would get better results…

In summary from the cdfreaks “advanced tests”,
<http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/135/9>
The Liteon 811 cant write SecureRom without emulation, but can do Safedisc. Is this correct or is there a way around it?

Originally posted by Serpeant
In summary from the cdfreaks “advanced tests”,
<http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/135/9>
The Liteon 811 cant write SecureRom without emulation, but can do Safedisc. Is this correct or is there a way around it?

Correct. But emulation is so easy nowadays. Just have d-tools running in the background, and the disc that you insert will work okay.

In my view, the problem with emulation is that…

1. you cant just take a ‘burnt’ CD/DVD to a mate’s house for him to try out a new game.

2. you need to update the emulation if it gets outdated/blacklisted.

3. Its something running in the background which may cause system instability.

Originally posted by Serpeant
[B]In my view, the problem with emulation is that…

1. you cant just take a ‘burnt’ CD/DVD to a mate’s house for him to try out a new game.
  2. you need to update the emulation if it gets outdated/blacklisted.
  3. Its something running in the background which may cause system instability. [/B]
  1. d-tools is tiny. And all my friends already have it. :slight_smile:
  2. I think that d-tools gets updated faster than the game companies can react.
  3. Yea. But I haven’t had a problem with d-tools yet. Certainly much more stable than other things that I’ve had run in the background before, like AnyDVD or CloneCD’s virtual drive.
  4. You’re looking at things from a pessimistic angle. As someone who likes to look at the “bright side”, emulation is still a LOT better than cracking the game, no? :slight_smile:

Well, its a hassle to…

1. Make sure all your friend have emulation
  2. Make sure you have the latest emultaion (you need to check for regular updates)
  3. With 100% copies, you dont need to have anything (CloneCD/AnyDVD running in the background - unless you are reading from a ATIP recognizing source)
  4. I agree, emulation is better than cracking

Having said all this, emulation is fine, but I am sure anyone would prefer a 100% backup that doesnt need emulation as opposed to one that does, if they were both offered.

Originally posted by code65536
Correct. But emulation is so easy nowadays. Just have d-tools running in the background, and the disc that you insert will work okay.

I think you should have read the test more carefully:

“…We made a working backup by using Blindwrite 4.5.7, so it seems like CloneCD have some problems with the newer safedisc versions…”

It is Clone CD which has problems with safedisk, not the 811.
Use Alcohol 120 or Blindwrite and it will work!