Which linux?

I am going to buy Linux. Which version should I purchase and why? I have been looking at SuSi and Red hat.

redhat went enterprise only edition, support is up in the error.

What are you planning to do with your Linux system?

For the average desktop user (office applications, some multimedia etc), SuSe 9 is a very nice distro… I’ve been running this baby for over a month on my laptop and I’m really satisfied… speed is good, software is superb etc etc… I think that SuSe makes a good allrounder (maybe not so good for servers, but for desktop use it’s great). It comes with KDE 3, OpenOffice 1.1 etc etc.

Redhat is somewhat more of a server distro. Of course, SuSe can be a server too and Redhat can be used for desktop applications…

Another distro to consider might be Mandrake Linux. It’s built on Redhat Linux, but more userfriendly and more aimed at the beginning Linux user and very nice for desktop usage.

My advice: download and try some distro’s first, before you decide to buy one…!

Linuxiso.org is quite a good website to hunt for distro’s.

To check if your hard- and software are compatible , go to Linux compatible.

You can also find a lot of review here.

what archetecture would an XP2200+ chip be?
Thanks for the links guys btw.
Dee-ehn, Susi comes in Home and Professional versions is it worth going for (and paying a bit more) for the pro?

Originally posted by DaneR
what archetecture would an XP2200+ chip be?
Thanks for the links guys btw.
Dee-ehn, Susi comes in Home and Professional versions is it worth going for (and paying a bit more) for the pro?

i386 or higher . i586 is recommended.

by the way … it’s SuSe … not Susi , suzie or sushi… :slight_smile:

i386, i586, x86, x86-32, IA32… it all works fine on your AMD chip :slight_smile:

What version you should get when buying SuSe? That’s totally up to yourself. The main difference is that the Pro version of SuSe is loaded with an enormous amount of software (5 additionals CDs and 1 DVD). I believe it contains about 7000 packages or so…

If I remember correctly, the non-pro version comes with a very limited amount of documentation, while the pro version is loaded with good books. There should be a difference in the support as well. My advice: buy the pro version!

Too bad the SuSe site isn’t very clear about this… my memory isn’t that clear either :wink:

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]i386 or higher . i586 is recommended.

by the way … it’s SuSe … not Susi , suzie or sushi… :slight_smile: [/B]

:smiley: lol well it sounds the same - well similar - ish :wink:

Now I have SuSe Professional 9.0
Who said Santa isn’t real. Lots of messin’ to do in the next few days :slight_smile:

Originally posted by DaneR
Now I have SuSe Professional 9.0
Who said Santa isn’t real. Lots of messin’ to do in the next few days :slight_smile:

Congratz on your purchase! I don’t think you will regret this!

If you got any questions, feel free to ask. I’ve been playing around with Suse 9 for about 2 months now and I’m getting a little used to it… :wink: