Which Linux distro do you use

Has anyone tried “Qubes”. , Well, Qubes is a Fedora-based operating system which focused on desktop security. This OS will secure you by isolating and virtualizing various VM separately.

@ Dee are you using the Cinnamon version or the Tina version of Linux Mint?

Linux Mint 19.2 (Tina) with the Cinnamon desktop

Thanks Wendy

@bean55
I still need Windows 10 for my music work, as I must be able to run Avid Protools and its hardware.

@ka6
I have a Windows 10 install on Mint using VirtualBox. It works fine, but I can’t use Avid Protools on it as it doesn’t support the Protools hardware.

@alan1476
You’re welcome.

Dee, couldn’t you use Protools on Windows 10 in a dual-boot scenario? Shouldn’t this eliminate any hardware issues? Slower to switch back & forth, but…allows full use of the Windows programs required.

Yes, I run three boot devices at the moment. Win 10, Linux Mint, and Ubuntu.
I was hoping that Protools would run properly in a Win 10 VirtualBox on Linux, then decide which Linux distro (most likely Linux Mint) and cut it down to a single boot device.

Like most people in this thread. Windows is needed, but I’m fed up of removing all the junk from my Win 10 install, only to find its all back again after Windows upgrades or even updates to a new build.

Talking about GPU drivers and NVidia.
They have just released new drivers for Ubuntu and Mint.
Version 4.40 Which is great if you have one of the newer RTX GPU cards.

To get the new driver on Mint. You will need to add the following Ubuntu repository if you haven’t already done so.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

I reported a few posts above that I was having problems with Fedora. I’m not one for being beat, so when Fedora 31 was released a few days ago, I decided to give it another shot.
This time with great success, NVidia drivers are still not installed by default, but this time I had no problems with lagging without the NVidia drivers.

Once Fedora was installed it was quite easy to enable the RPM Fusion repository to download and install the NVidia drivers. The version I’m using is Fedora 31 Workstation. Its a lot more stable than Ubuntu 19.10, and consequentially I’ve ditched Ubuntu for now.

Now its a straight race between Linux Mint and Fedora. Linux Mint is easier to setup, but is now feeling a little bit old, and for sure less polished than Fedora. With Fedora, it requires a bit of work on your part to get it all running the way you want it to, and you will most likely need to manually install 3rd party software. Which isn’t difficult once you get your head around adding the required repositories manually, or by using SNAP packages.

Anyway, Here is my Fedora 31 desktop.
Note, it has been tweaked a little.

Click on the picture to enlarge

1 Like

I just like Mint (currently on v19.2-Cinnamon) because it’s simple and works and is snappy without the bloat. it has just enough default programs installed and is a pretty good basic setup. I personally doubt ill leave Mint anytime soon. sure, I imagine for those who want all of the bells and whistles might opt for something else but I imagine there is a reason Mint is one of the most popular which probably boils down to what I said.

p.s. I even been replaying some single player games recently that I like a lot with Wine/Lutris combo.

Bells and whistles would be Windows 10. Fedora certainly isn’t bells and whistles. In fact it has fewer than Mint.
IMO, Fedora appears more polished because parts of it doesn’t feel bolted on.

Fedora = RedHat community distro with a gnome desktop.
Mint = Debian->Ubuntu->gnome->Cinnimon

Mint feels a little old because its based on an 18 month old distro (Ubuntu 18.04). That has advantages because its mature and rock solid.
Fedora 31 is brand new, and at the cutting edge of Linux. That could have disadvantages regarding stability. But so far its been very stable.

Mint has great tools, that allow you to get it set up just the way you want it to look with ease. Fedora doesn’t ship with any tools that allow you to do that out of the box.
However, add the Gnome Tweaks extension, and then add the Dash To Dock, and MMod extensions, and you’re set.

I have heard others say that but I suspect in general it’s minimal real world difference as I would imagine just about anything Linux should be quite stable whether it’s Mint or something more up to date.

p.s. I got 34 days of uptime before rebooting not all that long ago on Mint which I think is THE longest I ever went on my main desktop computers without a reboot. there was nothing wrong, I just manually rebooted as I would imagine since it was stable for over a month it likely would have went well beyond that. Cinnamon likes my main PC more than Xfce as I had Xfce and it had issues coming out of the lock-screen about once every 5-10 days or so (I don’t even I ever reached a full two weeks before the issue occurred) and would pretty much take out the computer to where I would have to power off and back on. but that issue is gone when I switched to Cinnamon and Cinnamon just seems all around more polished which should not be surprising since that’s Mint’s main/most popular version. because that was the only stability issue I had was coming out of the lock screen as I could come out of the lock screen fine usually but once every 5-10 days (give or take a little) it would act up and I could not get out of the lock screen whether it froze etc and I would have to hold power button to turn it off and then back on. but since I switched to Cinnamon, it’s not happened even once and I am glad I am on Cinnamon for my main PC as I like it all around more. but I still have Xfce on my other computers currently but those don’t see all that much use and I would imagine those are fine.

I prefer not to use systemd for networking, and honestly wish they didn’t include it in the first place. (systemd is supposed to be a modern init system, and IMHO there’s no room for a networking daemon in an init system. That’s a bit like trying to shove a web browser into a boot loader, or putting a file browser in a Bluetooth driver.)

Here’s what I recommend: first, install some other networking daemon. I tend to favor NetworkManager, while Wicd is a good second choice. (If you plan on running a desktop environment, you might want to install nm-applet for NetworkManager, or wicd-client for wicd. From the command-line, you can use nmcli or wicd-curses.) Once you have your replacement network daemon installed, run (as root) this command to disable systemd’s networking abilities: systemctl disable systemd-networkd && systemctl disable systemd-resolved. (You probably won’t be able to remove those services without the package manager complaining about dependency issues, but at least you can still disable them). From there, you can use a separate program like the Unix gods intended.

PS: It may go without saying, but if you disable systemd’s networking abilities before you have a working replacement, you’ll probably lose the ability to connect to a network in the first place. Also, in this context “disable” means “prevent from auto-launching”. It does not shut down any running program. You can do that manually by running systemctl stop systemd-networkd && systemctl stop systemd-resolved.

One more thing: if you need to temporarily reactive the built-in networking, you can do so by running systemctl start systemd-resolved && systemctl start systemd-networkd. To permanently re-enable these services, run the previous command, but with “enable” instead of “start”

There are plenty of distros that can do that. In fact, I’d say there are too many to list, but here’s a few: Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, Puppy Linux, ElementaryOS, and Knoppix.

Here’s a more comprehensive list of live distros. Do note, this shows live systems from a variety of OSes: GNU/Linux, *BSD, MacOS X, Windows, etc. Although this list shows distros meant to run from CDs/DVDs, most (if not all) of the GNU/Linux systems should work with a generic USB flash drive just fine. It probably won’t matter if you’re using USB 2.0 or 3.0.

Ubuntu is what I use. Since @Dee keeps mentioning stability issues with 19.10, I feel I should mention that the LTS (Long-Term Support) releases tend to have the best stability. (19.10 is a so-called “STS”, or “Short-Term Support” release.)

The latest LTS release of Ubuntu is 18.04, from April, 2018, although we’re only a few months away from another one 20.04, set to be released in April 2020.

I like the Cinnamon desktop environment, although it can be a bit of a RAM hog (due, I suspect, to is build-in JavaScript engine), so for older machines I tend to use XFCE. XFCE is also useful as a fallback environment. (I’ve encountered bugs in Cinnamon before, although it seems pretty stable nowadays.) Cinnamon is not supported on Ubuntu, but you can add third-party package repositories that typically give you fairly recent versions.

I’ve used Debian, and found it pretty straight-forward to install, but getting things like networking to function can be difficult, as non-free drivers and firmwares are not installed by default.

My personal favorite is Arch, but that is notoriously difficult for new users, so I only recommend it to experienced console gurus. Also, since it’s a bleeding-edge rolling distro, there’s always the possibility that new updates will have bugs that could destabalize the system. (I haven’t experienced any such issues myself, but they could happen.) For this reason, many people prefer Manjaro, which I’ve never used, and thus don’t have any real opinion on.