Which Linux distro do you use

Thank you for sharing your experiences, I find this thread very useful since my main PC running Win 7 won’t get update to Win 10 and probably one day I shall switch to Linux. Approx. 20 years ago I was giving RedHat a try, struggling to compile the kernel based on the HW of my PC, configuring desktop etc. After approx. 6 months of polishing I could reach a fairly satisfactory setup and… my HDD died - I never repeated the struggle again. Then with Knoppix I used live-linux as a recovery system, or for web-browsing, but never got close to install any distro (Slax with it’s rich module repository was tempting under some time).
For me the biggest challenge is that I run laptops only, and probably I won’t be able to have all of the HW up and running (like web cam).

I still use Knoppix, too; installed on a thumb drive with persistence.
Unfortunately it is recently being updated only yearly, as Klaus probably spends his time doing things that actually earn him a living.

Thanks Dee :smiley:

Thanks for sharing your observations on Linux and other Distro’s
I may have to check out Manjaro at some point, but for now I will stick with the simpler Linux Mint
I did find it easier to set up and use for basic browsing
I also tried Ubuntu a few years back and did not like it as much, I agree with you on the stability issues that it still seems to have.

There is a good chance that Ubuntu would setup all the hardware for you, even the webcam. Its bundled with a webcam app.
Try a ‘live’ version of 19.10 on USB drive. and see.

@schuster
Funny you should mention Knoppix and how frequently its updated, as a new version has just been released today.
https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10746

@bean55
Mint rocks, but if you want to try Manjaro, its easy to get a live version and run it from USB, to see if you like it.

Thanks, I had seen advance notice in a quote from the Debian mailing list.
Unfortunately it’s just a bugfix for the bootloader which was having trouble finding the 32-bit code in some configurations.

I just forgot to mention, that my setup is depending on connecting to USB-dock (DELL’s version running on DisplayLink), the latest version of Ubuntu supported is 19.04, will give it a try if I have some time. It only doesn’t sound too appealing to run a distro which is reported to have stability issues :wink:

Its about 6 weeks since I used Ubuntu. It was a new distro at the time, and may well be stable by now.
Try it live from a USB flash drive, and see what its like.

You have point here. In general for an old HW is it worth to run latest distros or better to stick to 18.04 LTS? I have an HP 8560w laptop, so I wonder if I haven’t missed “the train” and maybe support for my HW is already being dropped from latest versions :slight_smile:

18.04 LTS would be the safe bet. If it has the features you want.

1 Like

Linux Mint 19.3 ‘Tricia’ will be out before Christmas, but if you want to take an early look, the beta will be available from tomorrow, Dec 3rd.

New version of the Cinnamon desktop, and new artwork throughout for a fresher look.
HiDPI support for a sharper screen, and quite a lot more to look forward to.

Does anyone know what size thumb drive I would need to run a linux ISO on a 2 year old chromebook? I don’t have a portable disc drive to hook up to it. I haven’t run Ubuntu in probably 10 years on an old box I no longer have. Looked at the YouTube videos but didn’t hear what size I need.

Live Linux distros are from around 2GB to 2.5GB so a 4GB USB flash drive is more than enough.

Thank you Dee.

Linux Mint 19.3 ‘Tricia’ beta is nice.
Very slick indeed. The new artwork does indeed make things look fresh, and the new boot menu with icons for your dual boot OS looks very nice.
No need to add Ubuntu GPU repositories to get the latest Nvidia RTX GPU’s working properly. Its all built into Mint 19.3

Considering its a beta its very stable.

Link https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/12/linux-mint-19-3-beta

I see kernel v5.3 there. they must have went with v5.3 instead of v5.0? ; or did you manually change to that?

because I heard they are shipping v19.3 with I think it was v5.0, or at least something newer than the previous Mint v19.x which was v4.15.

either way, I might opt for a clean install once v19.3 is released.

Yep the default is kernel 5.0, but its only a matter of choosing to use kernel 5.3.
I’ve been using kernel 5.3 in Mint 19.2 for a while, so I know its stable.

1 Like

If the desire is to have persistence (e.g. the user area is saved from one session to another, as many distros allow for these days) it’s probably better to spend the extra few dollars and go for 8GB.

Linux Mint 19.3 got a lot of updates today.
One of them was an update from Cinnamon 4.4.2 to 4.4.3

I also didn’t realise that 19.3 was an LTS release.

All Mint versions are LTS. I think it generally does this…

18.1/18.2/18.3(all are supported til 2021), then 19.1/19.2/19.3(all are supported til 2023), then 20.1/20.2/20.3 (all will be supported til 2025) and so on.

p.s. on a side note… I just setup Firejail (i.e. firejail_0.9.56.2-LTS_1_amd64.deb ) so it puts the Firefox browser in a sandbox. so while Firefox on Linux is already quite secure by default, it’s extra insurance… https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/sandbox.html ; basically a good boost to security for minimal effort on the user :wink:

I guess we wont get Mint 20 until Ubuntu 20.04 is released.

Having said that, there is no rush IMO. Mint 19.3 is very stable. I’ve been using it almost exclusively since Tuesday, and I haven’t had a single problem with it.

I’m in Windows at the moment, having decided to do a fresh install of 1909.
Its quite surprising how slick Windows 10 is when freshly installed. :slight_smile: