Which Linux distro do you use

Does anyone know what size thumb drive I would need to run a linux ISO on a 2 year old chromebook? I don’t have a portable disc drive to hook up to it. I haven’t run Ubuntu in probably 10 years on an old box I no longer have. Looked at the YouTube videos but didn’t hear what size I need.

Live Linux distros are from around 2GB to 2.5GB so a 4GB USB flash drive is more than enough.

Thank you Dee.

Linux Mint 19.3 ‘Tricia’ beta is nice.
Very slick indeed. The new artwork does indeed make things look fresh, and the new boot menu with icons for your dual boot OS looks very nice.
No need to add Ubuntu GPU repositories to get the latest Nvidia RTX GPU’s working properly. Its all built into Mint 19.3

Considering its a beta its very stable.

Link https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/12/linux-mint-19-3-beta

I see kernel v5.3 there. they must have went with v5.3 instead of v5.0? ; or did you manually change to that?

because I heard they are shipping v19.3 with I think it was v5.0, or at least something newer than the previous Mint v19.x which was v4.15.

either way, I might opt for a clean install once v19.3 is released.

Yep the default is kernel 5.0, but its only a matter of choosing to use kernel 5.3.
I’ve been using kernel 5.3 in Mint 19.2 for a while, so I know its stable.

1 Like

If the desire is to have persistence (e.g. the user area is saved from one session to another, as many distros allow for these days) it’s probably better to spend the extra few dollars and go for 8GB.

Linux Mint 19.3 got a lot of updates today.
One of them was an update from Cinnamon 4.4.2 to 4.4.3

I also didn’t realise that 19.3 was an LTS release.

All Mint versions are LTS. I think it generally does this…

18.0/18.1/18.2/18.3(all are supported til 2021), then 19.0/19.1/19.2/19.3(all are supported til 2023), then 20.0/20.1/20.2/20.3 (all will be supported til 2025) and so on.

p.s. on a side note… I just setup Firejail (i.e. firejail_0.9.56.2-LTS_1_amd64.deb ) so it puts the Firefox browser in a sandbox. so while Firefox on Linux is already quite secure by default, it’s extra insurance… https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/sandbox.html ; basically a good boost to security for minimal effort on the user :wink: ; I had to tweak things a bit so I could get firejail to allow me saving downloaded files to another directory on another hard drive I have as by default it only allows saving downloaded files to the ‘Downloads’ folder.

I guess we wont get Mint 20 until Ubuntu 20.04 is released.

Having said that, there is no rush IMO. Mint 19.3 is very stable. I’ve been using it almost exclusively since Tuesday, and I haven’t had a single problem with it.

I’m in Windows at the moment, having decided to do a fresh install of 1909.
Its quite surprising how slick Windows 10 is when freshly installed. :slight_smile:

Linux Mint 19.3 is released.
https://linuxmint.com/

2 Likes

Yeah, I upgraded a couple of computers I got so far and overall it went smooth enough.

Xfce’s interface seems a bit more polished now. Cinnamon seems to be pretty much the same as I don’t notice any obvious interface tweaks like I did with Xfce.

but at the moment on my main PC there is some glitch it seems. like when I hover my mouse pointer over icons on the taskbar near the time etc it usually has the temporary popup, but it’s not there which kind of sucks. EDIT: I just did a ALT+F2, which brings up a menu, typed ‘r’ (without the ') and pressed enter and after a couple of seconds, the Cinnamon desktop reloaded and that glitch went away.

I’ve been testing Manjaro 19 over the last few weeks, and although it does require a bit more effort to setup than say Mint or Ubuntu. The effort is worth it, as the software packages are much more up to date than those offered by Mint or Ubuntu.

I’m using the KDE edition, and once you get used to KDE it is quite nice and very slick.
I may use it as my default Linux in the not to distant future.

That sounds good and all but it seems Ubuntu, which the standard Linux Mint is based on, is the safest all around choice (seems to have plenty of support etc) when it comes to Linux and for that reason I can’t see something beating Linux Mint overall since Mint is basically a better version of Ubuntu as it’s lighter.

but with Mint you can usually get more up to date software by using a PPA.

I’m back to Mint.
It just works as it should.

1 Like

I’ve been taking UbuntuDDE 20.04 beta for a test drive in a Virtual Machine.

It’s Ubuntu 20.04 RC with the absolutely beautiful DEEPIN desktop. very nice but still not 100% stable being a beta, hence why its running on a VM.

The UbuntuDDE Deepin Desktop

Now the UbuntuDDE Control Panel

Lastly. The UbuntuDDE Start menu

Looks really nice

Yep, both in terms of looks and functionality.

I don’t think I would use the DEEPIN distro because of the spyware allegations that were levelled at it, rightly or wrongly.
UbuntuDDE uses only ubuntu repositories, and the software in the distro is ubuntu with the DEEPIN desktop layered on top.
It’s based on ubuntu 20.04 LTS, which is due to go final on the 23rd April.

Since making my post above, I’ve received 3 sizeable software updates which as improved stability a lot. Still not perfect though. :slight_smile:

I’ve set up Mint as a dual boot in my main computer. Seems fine so far, I just have to switch my thinking to Linux rather than Windows when trying to download and install things.

Every time I update Windows to the latest version I eventually get a BSOD from tethering, which is my main internet connection these days. I load a saved image and am good to go for a while, but it’s getting old. I’m hoping there is no such bug in Mint.

If I was still active in video conversion/editing, I’d never switch to Linux, I have too many tools that are Windows only, but it’s been a few years since I’ve done much, and I mostly just add subtitles to videos for my brother, who has become slightly hard of hearing.

I also need Windows for Word, which I’ve grown to like a lot more than I thought I would. Libre Office is just a little too clunky in comparison.

So I’ll be dual booting for the foreseeable future, and spending more and more time in Mint. Oh, and Vivaldi in Mint is much better than Firefox for me. With my eyesight deteriorating, the zoom controls are far superior in Vivaldi because it increases the size of the controls, as well as the print on the page.

@Kerry56
Have you thought about running Windows 10 on a Virtual Machine on Mint?
MS Word should work perfectly in a Win10 VM using VMWare on Linux Mint.

Using Linux goto the following page to get the official MS Win10 ISO This the full Win10 ISO, and not to be confused with the Win10 install media created with the MS media creation tool.
You have to use Linux, or anything other than Windows to download it.
Link: Win10 ISO
Give the page 2 or 3 minutes to load, as it will check which OS you using to access the page.

Here is an easy to follow simple guide to getting VMWare Workstation player, and installing it.

PS. You wont have to activate Win10 on the VM, it will quite happily run it without activation.

PC requirements.
64bit CPU
8GB of RAM or more.
64GB or more of free HDD space for the Win10 VM
Any hardware that is running properly on Linux Mint should be equally fine on the Win10 VM.

Here is a Win10 VM running on Mint on my own PC using VMWare.
VM Player is free for personal use.