Which Linux distro do you use

I’m getting a bit fed up of Windows bloat.
I’m not saying I could move completely to Linux. But I do like to try Linux from time to time.
Normally I just try a LIVE distro, and if I like it, I may install on the second PC on a spare SSD.

Up until now. I’ve always found a show stopper. Be that, what a pain in the ass it is to get any distro to properly allow networking with a Windows 10 PC. Or getting graphics drivers working properly, etc etc.

I’ve finally found a distro that appears to work very well with the above scenarios, and was very easy to set up.

The Distro I’m taking about Manjaro 18.1 XFCE edition.

Which distro’s are you guys using?

I use Linux Mint for newer computers and Ubuntu for older computers. I find Mint installs easily and runs well. On older computer I like Ubuntu which seems to work better on older computers.

I like you am getting tired of Windows arrogance. In fact I I refuse to use Windows 10. I am now using W7. The only reason that I am not using Linux exclusively is the learning curve of Linux. Some of the fines points of Linux usage is a bit hard for the non-techie to learn and takes a bit of hit and miss practice. At least for me it does.

I been playing with Linux Mint ( Cinnamon ) here lately,
seems okay for browsing and other little things

90% of the time I am online I use Tails, its very effective and lets me browse anonymously.

I play around with Mint or Ubuntu from time to time, but there are too many video programs I rely on that need Windows for me to switch entirely.

Lately I’ve been doing a lot of writing, and since I use Libre Office Writer, I could switch to a Linux box for that.

Linux Mint v19.2 Cinnamon.

I have been on Linux Mint pretty much all this year and I have pretty much dumped Windows.

NOTE: MIcrosoft dumps support of Windows 7 in Jan 2020. so those still using Windows 7 only have about 4 months to move to Windows 10 or switch to a Linux variation.

Iḿ not a Linux-freak because I have many software for Windows which I need long time to find the best software or paid lots of money.

But sometimes I try different Linux-distries to see how good it works for me. Mostly my favorites are Mint or for special reasons OpenSuse

I’m hardly using Linux on my desktop, but it’s my main server OS. I mainly use Debian as a distribution, but I’m not sure how good it would be on a desktop machine. I already did install it with desktop and it was sufficient for that I was going to do, but I think whatever distribution I would use, there’s always some essential tools missing that I only have for Windows.

Regarding the ideal desktop environment (Gnome, KDE, LXDE, XFCE, etc.) I guess discussions could end up in a religious war. :rofl:

I also looked at Arch Linux (which Manjaro is based on), but in particular for usage on my server there currently is a significant issue with IPv6 in the way networking is handled here.

Instead of running Live distros, I always install to separate partition on my existing SSD/HDD and decide upon boot which OS to load. Works even better for me since I recently switched from legacy BIOS to UEFI mode.

Except for my wife’s PC and a few devices with manufacturer specific OS, almost everything with a network connection here has an option to boot Linux or runs it exclusively. (PCs, mobile phones, Raspi, satellite STB, TV set)

I haven’t used linux or any *bsds in almost 20 years.

Are there any linux distributions which can be booted up from a flash drive plugged into a usb2 (or usb3) port?

Yes. Pretty much all the distros mentioned in this thread, with possible exception of Debian will boot and run from a USB flash drive.
In fact one of them that I tried created a second partition on the USB flash drive to allow you to save stuff as well.
I think it was Manjaro, but it could have been MX Linux.

For now I’m testing Linux Mint ( Cinnamon )

First hurdle overcome with Linux Mint.
It doesn’t support the NvIdia RTX GPU’s
Solution: Add a Ubuntu repo that has the latest NVidia drivers from the Linux terminal app.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

Update the Linux kernel to version 5 or later.

Having done that, Mint looks promising. :slight_smile:

Back in the day, I use to use the Slackware distribution.

I looked into Redhat at the time, but never got around to using it. I ended up dropping linux and the *bsds altogether shortly thereafter.

Try Linux Lite–it’s mostly meant for Windows users. It looks and feels like Windows.
It has good support. BUT it is limited to more standard programs. If you want it to be a server–there is no support for that. It’s also easy to install and run from a 16gb USB stick. You can simply save your documents, etc to your Windows disks.

For basic use I use it
I still Prefer Microsoft Office so I have windows for that, because I can not seem to get Open Office to do a couple things that I got down pat with Microsoft Office.