Which LCD TV?

vbimport

Hi everyone. I am hunting for a LCD TV. I know BF is right around the corner and sales will happen so if I find another TV to as I will do so in this thread as I find it. I am on a tight budget right now and have no need for a bigger TV due to having a very small living room. I found these 3 TV’s and they are great due to the sub 1000.00 price. I don’t game on a console but do own a PS3 mainly to watch DVD’s/BD’s. So I am in need of thoughts over these 3 TV’s as I plan on buying maybe in November if all pans out well. I know that the Samsungs are preferred and that 120mthz are also preferred so think of this as a starter set as Feb 17, 2009 is about to embark upon me so I hope I gave you enough info to say what is preferred or okay . Thanks for your information that you all give.

RCA 42"

Sanyo 42"

Vizio 42"

In that case go for a quality 37" instead…

As an example…
//Danne

Thanks Dizzy but the wife & I are set on at least a 42". That’s why all the links are to a 42" TV. I imagine the Vizio is the best of the 3 due to 5000:1 ratio.

As Dizzy has pointed out and your looking for a T.V. sub $1,000. Then the Sharp’s LC37D64U is one to consider.

:cool::cool:

What’s wrong about any of the 3 I posted as I definitely want at least a 42" TV not a 37"?

Yo-

A friend has that Vizio 42 inch and it is [I]fantastic[/I] and for $896 - is a real bargain IMO-eh!!

Dr.Who if your looking to purchase at Walmart…do you or know someone that belongs to Sam’s or Costco? Probably get one cheaper there. But you probably already thought about that…

Go have a look at them and see them in person. Your the one that will be watching it.

If I was choosing between the three that you have listed.

1. Vizio 42"

2. RCA 42"

3. Sanyo 42"

Understand your contrast ratios

The 5000:1 ratio is the Dynamic contrast ratio of this T.V.

The actual ratio is 1000:1 ( Static ), this is what you need to know.

Only reason a 37" was suggested what it’s more T.V. for the buck.

There is a lot of people that have different points of views and some aspects in a T.V. or more desirable than others, hence why you would get varying opinions. It’s not easy to sit here and suggest a certain T.V. and then you go home with that particular set, then find out it was not what you wanted.

:cool::cool:

Thing is, “You get what you pay for”…
This is very true when it comes to TVs, the thing that bothers me the most is that none of this brands are in the top 5 when it comes to manufacturing LCD panels which means that they buy them from another supplier which in most cases (~95%) means low quality panels (blurring, low contrast, ghosting). You also get close to none post processing settings on cheap units. Having this in mind and also having in mind that you don’t get a new TV very often it’s worth the extra money in the long run even if we aren’t talking of top of the line models. However this “our” opinion, since there are no guidelines really it’s up to you. If you still insist on 42" in that price range I would recommend you to look at a TH42PX80 by Panasonic instead (PDP), while it’s not Full HD it’s a good TV in that price range and will give you better picture than low end 1080p LCD TVs. Vizio are “good” for being budget (at least people claim so) but it’s probably the same crowd that says $200 22" are great which bothers me a bit. I cannot comment on Vizio myself since they aren’t available in my area but for all other “value” brands I’ve seen I’d much rather go with a major brand, of course that isn’t a guarantee that you’ll get a good TV but if they make their own panels its a good sign. Getting a low priced/performance branded is just a bad as getting a noname one…

Sanyo makes a lot of good things (batteries comes to mind) but they have close to non existing market share on TVs and that’s most likely for a reason, I’m not even sure if they make their own TVs or have a outsourced just like Hitachi on lower end models.

//Danne

Vizio is horrible. You can get a Samsung 46" for like $1500 @ Circuit City plus if you get their credit card you get no interest until 2012…go for that. All the TV’s you have listed are not good @ all. You will be very sorry that you wasted 1000 on one of those tv’s. Please do yourself a favor and go with Samsung. They and Sony are the best in LCD. Samsung is very well priced as well. I have a 52 inch touch of color Samsung and it was only 2200. Perfection in picture and audio. I advise you to look into Samsung @ Circuit City for the promo deal they have. Also, check the online stores as they have good prices as well. Don’t waste your money on the Vizio or the Sanyo. RCA isn’t a very high quality tv either. Go for Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Toshibia, Panasonic, Phillips, or Pioneer before any of the tv’s you have listed

Okay, thanks everyone for the feedback. This is just to get me by for another year so I can save up for something along the lines of a Samsung LCD with 120 hrtz as well. I am a member of Costco and I am watching that site as well they will have a [B][U]Vizio 50" Plasma HDTV - $999.99[/U][/B] So that may be an option as well.

I understand that you get what you pay for as well but this isn’t always the case either just at times. Like I said the main thing the TV will be doing is to watch DVD’s & BluRay movies as well plus my Direct TV will be hooked up to it.

I am still looking what BF will be having each day and taking those in consideration as well but I am just wanting a LCD TV to do the basics and have the HDMI connections as well for now.

[QUOTE=jaewest1;2130157]Vizio is horrible. You can get a Samsung 46" for like $1500 @ Circuit City plus if you get their credit card you get no interest until 2012…go for that. All the TV’s you have listed are not good @ all. You will be very sorry that you wasted 1000 on one of those tv’s. Please do yourself a favor and go with Samsung. They and Sony are the best in LCD. Samsung is very well priced as well. I have a 52 inch touch of color Samsung and it was only 2200. Perfection in picture and audio. I advise you to look into Samsung @ Circuit City for the promo deal they have. Also, check the online stores as they have good prices as well. Don’t waste your money on the Vizio or the Sanyo. RCA isn’t a very high quality tv either. Go for Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Toshibia, Panasonic, Phillips, or Pioneer before any of the tv’s you have listed[/QUOTE]

Taking donations to go above 1000.00 for a TV too I am in a tight spot till the end of next year.

[QUOTE=Dr. Who;2130159]Taking donations to go above 1000.00 for a TV too I am in a tight spot till the end of next year.[/QUOTE]

Where would the donations go to Dr. who Care of the public broadcasting system…PBS…:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

Just a hint, Samsung are way overrated…
I dont see what you find wrong with a PX80-series which is a solid buy.
//Danne

I’d like to help you out Doc but I do have bills as well.:iagree:

[quote=Dr. Who;2130158]Okay, thanks everyone for the feedback. This is just to get me by for another year so I can save up for something along the lines of a Samsung LCD with 120 hrtz as well. I am a member of Costco and I am watching that site as well they will have a [B][U]Vizio 50" Plasma HDTV - $999.99[/U][/B] So that may be an option as well.

I understand that you get what you pay for as well but this isn’t always the case either just at times. Like I said the main thing the TV will be doing is to watch DVD’s & BluRay movies as well plus my Direct TV will be hooked up to it.

I am still looking what BF will be having each day and taking those in consideration as well but I am just wanting a LCD TV to do the basics and have the HDMI connections as well for now.[/quote]

By the end of this year Sony will be releasing a 200 and some hrtz LCD. Which means next year all the 120’s will be old news…sadly:a. I am curious, if you have a $1000 budget and you want to get something good, why not just get a 40" Samsung with the 60hrtz motion? I am almost positive you could get that for right around $1000. Also, if you are trying to stay @ 42" and $1000 look into some of the other good quality brands I listed in my earlier post. You are misunderstanding the basics of an LCD TV. If you buy ANY of the original tv’s you listed ALL of your 480 standard def channels will look like hell. Plasma is nice but not as long lasting as LCD. I will look around online to see if I can find you something in a little better quality in your price and size range.:iagree:

[quote=DiiZzY;2130343]Just a hint, Samsung are way overrated…
I dont see what you find wrong with a PX80-series which is a solid buy.
//Danne[/quote]

I don’t know about that. I have a Samsung LCD and it has a far better picture than any other LCD I have seen…not named Sony. Sony and Samsung are the top two in LCD. Many people don’t know that Samsung actually gets many of it’s LCD parts from Sony and that is part of the reason they are even in comparison to each other. In smaller sized LCD’s almost any name will be fine (I have seen a company named Insigna in a 32" LCD and it looks great) but when you get above 36" screens you should look to the big five names for a good quality picture

Go and look again,
Sharp has better panels, Sony does have better PQ on “hi-end” models, Samsung mid/low-end looks like crap… :confused:
Toshiba are on pair with Samsung (hi-end models) IMHO
And for gods sake, 120Hz/200Hz is marketing crap (since 24Hz is supported on almost all models nowdays) if you’re so into the market you should know this…
/Danne

Thanks everyone, I am on a budget but I could get lucky and have more than expected as well. I might even wait till January to have more money.

Yo-

Have you entirely ruled out a DLP type set?

Even Consumers says that it is still the best [B][I]“bang-for-the-buck-per-viewing-inch”[/I][/B] currently available-eh!!

DLPs are crap and phased out, why are you suggesting really old and poor technology?
//Danne