Which is the weirdest word you know? + definition

vbimport

Which is the weirdest word you know? + definition.

Mine is Floccinaucinihilipilification :eek: (Noun)

Pronunciation: [flak-si-na(w)-si-ni-hi-li-pi-li-fi-'key-shên]

Definition 1: Holding or judging something to be worthless.

Usage 1: The word’s main function is to be exhibited as an example of a long English word, longer by a letter than the word most people think is the longest, “antidisestablishmentarianism,” but no match for “pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.” There is also a widely underused verb, “floccinaucinihilipilificate.” (A more useful noun with the same meaning is “floccinaucity” ['fla-si-'na(w)-si-tee].)

Suggested usage: The word was first recorded in a letter by William Shenstone written in 1741 and published in 1777: “I loved him for nothing so much as his flocci-nauci-nihili-pili-fication of money”. Don’t forget that the verb is just as useless as the noun.

Etymology: Back in the eighteenth century, the Eton Latin Grammar contained a rule that mentioned a set of words all of which meant “of little or no value”: flocci, nauci, nihili, and pili. Someone, obviously, had to combine them and add the suffixes -ation to the result. Flocci is the plural of floccus “a tuft of wool” and pili, that of pilus “a hair.” “Nihili” is from nihil “nothing,” while “nauci” just means “worthless.”

:cool:

Supercalifragilisticexpilidicious

Mary Poppins song.

uh

Originally posted by damiandimitri
uh
Now that’s a long word …

mine is “precipitevolissimevolmente”: it’s said everywhere to be the longest italian word, but it means just shit!!
gramatically it follows rules of adverbs (ends in -ente), and should mean REALLY quickly, but if you (know a bit of italian and) take a deep look @ it, you realize it is completely, absolutely, definitely useless.
:bigsmile:

but uh is a strange word…think about it

euouae…although it is only six letters long, it is the longest word in the english tongue that consists only of vowels. it also has the most consecutive vowels for a vowel in the english tongue.

i might add that i have no idea what this word means.

i also read somewhere that almost is the longest word in the english language with all the words in alphabetical order.

the weirdest word i know is the one that i dont know. i saw it in an “ask marilyn” (the lady that recorded the highest score on an iq test) column once…its definition is a word that means its opposite. i wish i knew that word…and i think i started a thread for it here once, but didnt come away with any success.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Originally posted by EFloUVA
[B]euouae…although it is only six letters long, it is the longest word in the english tongue that consists only of vowels. it also has the most consecutive vowels for a vowel in the english tongue.

i might add that i have no idea what this word means.

[/B]
Euouae.- according to Chambers Dictionary it is a name for a Gregorian cadence, obtained from SECULORUM :slight_smile:

Originally posted by AnOrO
Euouae.- according to Chambers Dictionary it is a name for a Gregorian cadence, obtained from SECULORUM :slight_smile:

SECULORUM looks a little like SECUROM :bigsmile:

the weirdest word i know is belvedere - which is, from my understanding, about like a belltower without the bell.

RING A LING, lol

Abetalipoproteinemia ( noun. )

A rare inherited disorder of fat metabolism characterized by severe deficiency of beta-lipopoteins and abnormal red blood cells ( acanthocytes ) and abnormally low cholesterol levels.

eek?
yuk?
oink?

There are so many stupid words… if you’d really take a close look… every word is stupid :wink:

STUPID is the most Stupid word :stuck_out_tongue:

Definition = Stupid :bigsmile:

Word: Sunglasses
Why?: You dont see the sun half as good…

Antidisestablishmentarianism

Not sure if its a real word though.

Originally posted by Bloodstar007
[B]Antidisestablishmentarianism

Not sure if its a real word though. [/B]

It’s a rare British term meaning "opposition to removing the tie between the Church of England and the state.

It’s a real word. :wink:

The word existed in the past but is no longer used.

:cool:

Two interesting words that can mean two totally opposing things:

Let
1- Allow
2- Prevent

Cleave
1- Separate
2- Join

Anyone know any others?

Originally posted by DryBaboon
[B]Two interesting words that can mean two totally opposing things:

Let
1- Allow
2- Prevent

Cleave
1- Separate
2- Join

Anyone know any others? [/B]

i have a thread dedicated to these types of words. in fact, its dedicated to the actual word with a definition of: “a word that means its opposite.” that thread can be found here…in particular, look at the first reply on that thread from FlyingDutchman…that gives you a good idea of words like youre looking for. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Krungthepmahanakonbowornratanakosinmahintarayudyayamahadiloponoparatanarajthaniburirom udomrajniwesmahasatarnamornpimarnavatarsatitsakattiyavisanukamphrasit
Thai Word Meaning
Krungthep mahanakhon The land of angels, the great city of
amorn rattanakosin immortality, of devine gems,
mahintara yudthaya mahadilok pohp the great angelic land unconquerable
noparat rajathanee bureerom land of nine noble gems, the royal city, a pleasant capital
udomrajniwes mahasatarn place of the Royal Palace
amorn pimarn avaltarnsatit eternal land of angles and reincarnated spirits
sakatattiya visanukram prasit predestined and created by the highest Deva(s)

Originally posted by joelmon
Krungthepmahanakonbowornratanakosinmahintarayudyayamahadiloponoparatanarajthaniburirom udomrajniwesmahasatarnamornpimarnavatarsatitsakattiyavisanukamphrasit
Thai Word Meaning
Krungthep mahanakhon The land of angels, the great city of
amorn rattanakosin immortality, of devine gems,
mahintara yudthaya mahadilok pohp the great angelic land unconquerable
noparat rajathanee bureerom land of nine noble gems, the royal city, a pleasant capital
udomrajniwes mahasatarn place of the Royal Palace
amorn pimarn avaltarnsatit eternal land of angles and reincarnated spirits
sakatattiya visanukram prasit predestined and created by the highest Deva(s)

Wow. I’m impressed. :eek:

That is a really weird word