Which is the best way to connect 2 hard disks and 2 Plextors?

I have two hard discs and Plextor Premium and Plextror PX-708A. The Plextors are internal (ATAPI). Which is the best way to connent them on Primary and Secondary channel?

Are you going to use both at the same time?

Then you should put each burner on a separate channel.

I would say:

Primary master: harddisk 1
Primary slave: Plextor Premium
Secundary master: harddisk 2
Secundary slave: Plextor PX-708A.

My set-up:

IDE1MASTER: HDD1
IDE1SLAVE: HDD2

IDE2MASTER: PX-708A
IDE2SLAVE: LTR-52246S

IDECARD1MASTER: PX-504A
IDECARD1SLAVE: PREMIUM

As of yet this has never given me a problem…

Namoh, correct me if i’m wrong, but doesn’t putting a cd-rw(ata33) and a hard disk (ex. ata133) on the same ide cable slow down the hard disk. I heard that it would. In this example the hard disk will drop down from a ata133 to ata33.

isn’t this true?

Originally posted by joso__g
[B]Namoh, correct me if i’m wrong, but doesn’t putting a cd-rw(ata33) and a hard disk (ex. ata133) on the same ide cable slow down the hard disk. I heard that it would. In this example the hard disk will drop down from a ata133 to ata33.

isn’t this true? [/B]

that isnt true anymore since the onboard ATA100 controllers arrived on the motherboards many years ago :smiley:

since then you can connect any ATA33 and ATA133 device on the same channel without any los of speed.

if you use them together alot you should go with nahmo’s option, in any other situation it doesnt matter a thing how you connect them.

i have the following set-up:

Primary master: harddisk 1
Primary slave: harddisk 2
Secundary master: Plextor PX-116A DVD drive
Secundary slave: Plextor Premium CD writer

have absolutely no problems what so ever with this set-up

Given that parallel ATA controller can only read/write to either slave or master drive on the same channel one at a time, I’d set up as following:

HD1
Optical 1

HD2
Optical 2

IF you are likely to use HD1 and HD2 at the same time AND/OR if you are going to use Optical 1/Optical 2 at the same time extensively.

The difference may not be great, but for on-the-fly disc-to-disc copies it’s still there.

regards,
Halcyon

Thanks a lot for your help! I connected them like this:
HD1
Optical 1

HD2
Optical 2

and till now, no problem.