Which is the best External Hard Drive?

vbimport

Hi
I just picked up a WD elements 1Tb USB2 HD for my laptop. From a hi street outlet for £79. Im in the UK btw.
I use it for recorded TV and backup files.
No complaints so far, it just worked from plugging in.
The reason I bought it was I use WD drives without problem and the price was amazing.
Just my experience so far, check it out.:slight_smile:

I just wanted to clearify something for readers of this post. I see external HD and external enclosure and internal HD discussed as if they are 2 completly diferent products. An external HD that you buy (like a lacie as an example) has an internal HD inside it. The unique part of the enclosure is the circuit board inside that converts the SATA or IDE interface to usb/fw/esata.

there is really no difference in purchasing an internal drive/hd enclosure vs an external hd/already assembled except the potential software bundle you get with pre manufactured external HD.

To simplify, if you opened any Lacie external HD, they have an “internal” hd inside. Most Lacie’s use WD hard drives.

So in reality we are simply talking about hard drives in general. Specifically when refering to external vs internal drives, we are mearly refering to how we want to interface “a hard-drive” to our existing situation/life/business.

hope this helps in some way to clearify what people are actually buying!

also want to say that all hd vendors have a “crappy” and “good” model of their HD. I am in no way an expert, however I do like some of the western digital HD. Seagate has always had a good name with dependability as well.

[QUOTE=cpguru21;2434767]I just wanted to clearify something for readers of this post. I see external HD and external enclosure and internal HD discussed as if they are 2 completly diferent products. An external HD that you buy (like a lacie as an example) has an internal HD inside it. The unique part of the enclosure is the circuit board inside that converts the SATA or IDE interface to usb/fw/esata.

there is really no difference in purchasing an internal drive/hd enclosure vs an external hd/already assembled except the potential software bundle you get with pre manufactured external HD.

To simplify, if you opened any Lacie external HD, they have an “internal” hd inside. Most Lacie’s use WD hard drives.

So in reality we are simply talking about hard drives in general. Specifically when refering to external vs internal drives, we are mearly refering to how we want to interface “a hard-drive” to our existing situation/life/business.

hope this helps in some way to clearify what people are actually buying!

also want to say that all hd vendors have a “crappy” and “good” model of their HD. I am in no way an expert, however I do like some of the western digital HD. Seagate has always had a good name with dependability as well.[/QUOTE]

Provided readers start with the first posts, they’ll understand an external HDD is just an internal HDD in an external enclosure–no mystery there, no should there be any confusion about it. I certainly wasn’t confused when I posted about it after reading all the preceding posts to mine.

Most Lacie’s use WD drives? Not so–the one I got uses a Hitachi Deskstar; others have said they got the Samsung Spinpoints in theirs by posts at NewEgg. From my recollection, those were the lion share of the drives. I recall only some few saying their Lacie external enclosures had WD internal HDDs in them.

As for some HDD vendors having ‘crappy’ and ‘good’ drives, that’s not the issue–the issue was either buying an external HDD or buying a good internal HDD and putting it in a good external enclosure. At this time, WD and Seagate are even in their failure rates/RMAs back to the company. However, the point still stands if someone bothers to check Lacie’s “pre-assembled” external HDDs, you get AMERICAN, OR-based tech support and NOT Indian tech support like with WD and Seagate–which infuriates a lot of people. Not a single poster anywhere I found on Lacie drives ever had a complaint about tech support–AND they always got a BRAND NEW drive in every case–whereas WD and Seagate would only get ‘refurbished drives’ and the majority of those would fail and the poor customers would go through the RMA windmill 2-3 times at THEIR shipping expense to try to get a NEW drive–and still get refurbished ones that died eventually. So let’s be clear: thorough research PROVES this isn’t “a few crappy models,” as in the case of what WD and Seagate were doing was a company-wide PHILOSOPHY exacerbated by tech support that rarely helped the end user. Seagate is especially bad about using super cheap external enclosures that have very cheap interfacing circuit boards that fail. WD isn’t far behind. In both cases, more tech-saavy users cracked open the dead enclosures and either used the drives as internal drives or put them into a quality enclosure with a quality chipset–and problem solved. The point is they should NEVER have had to do that!

With their external HDDs, Lacie is not cutting corners with their external enclosures like Calvary (no actual real b&M company to find), Fantom, Seagate and WD and ESPECIALLY Maxtor (universally considered total junk) nowadays.

While at the time I priced getting a good internal drive and slapping it into a good external enclosure, the Lacie solution was $15 cheaper. It could be now it’s cheaper or the same to slap an internal HDD into a good external enclosure, but when I researched and bought mine, the Lacie was nearly 5 stars in every category and much cheaper on the GB for the buck compared to putting together one’s own ‘solution.’

“Most Lacie’s use WD drives? Not so–the one I got uses a Hitachi Deskstar; others have said they got the Samsung Spinpoints in theirs by posts at NewEgg. From my recollection, those were the lion share of the drives. I recall only some few saying their Lacie external enclosures had WD internal HDDs in them.”

i stand corrected. I have taken apart alot of Lacie drives and most have been western digital internally. Was basing that comment off of my own personal experience.

“As for some HDD vendors having ‘crappy’ and ‘good’ drives, that’s not the issue–the issue was either buying an external HDD or buying a good internal HDD and putting it in a good external enclosure.”

im sorry thought we were talking about what hard drives are dependable.

"I’m looking to purchase an external hard drive for my laptop pc and was hoping for some input on what is a reliable and dependable hard drive.

What make would you recommend?" - original post.

I was simply making a comment, and an accurate one at that, that some vendors have a “lower end” model hard drive and a “higher end” model. Thats all.

Agree that Lacie is one of the best on the market. The enclosures are nice. We just had one fail. It had a DeskStar in it. Mechanical damage/failure.