Which is the best DVD+R DL MEDIA?

vbimport

I live in the USA and I’m trying to find the best dual layer media to burn my videos to. I’m wanting to make sure that the disks are white hub printable but there don’t seem to be many good choices:

FTI Falconmedia Pro
Ritek Ridata
MAM-A
Philips (don’t like because it prints their logo on the hub)

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best blank media I should go with? I use TY for all my other burning needs but they apparently don’t make DVD+R DL media. Thank you!

The best DL media available in the US is sold under the Verbatim brand, and they do have ink jet compatible DL, just not hub printable as far as I am aware. Personally, I’d forgo the hub printable requirement and buy Verbatim for DL media.

If that is not possible, go with the Falcon disks.

If you have your mind set on hub printable DL disc’s only then the FTI Falcon Pro is the only
way to go for the most dependable burns other than Verbatim. I just can not in good Cochise
recommend any Ritek/Ridata DL media at all as it is more or less a hit or miss media. :disagree:

I am using all Falcon DL for AVCHD movies so I can have hub printable.

Even while they do have a much higher PIE levels than Verbatim they have been playing just fine on my PS3, not one single glitch or disc that won’t play.

That being said I am still cautious and have then all backed up on my external drive just in case.

bobwiley Welcome to MyCe ( CdFreaks )

I will also have to go with getit29 and MegaDETH

Falcon would be the only other DL Disc that I would even mention other than the Verbs.

I have been using Falcon Pro for 6 months now with out any problems and I will never go back to Verbatim DL because of the price difference and excellent burn quality. Burned with AD7200S 1.Z3 FW

[QUOTE=bobwiley;2480173]
FTI Falconmedia Pro
Ritek Ridata
MAM-A
Philips (don’t like because it prints their logo on the hub)

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best blank media I should go with?[/QUOTE]
Welcome to the forum :flower:.

Don’t blame you for being unwilling to settle for anything other than HUB-printable. Set out on that same mission 18 months ago myself :). Didn’t take me long to discover that what the others are saying is true. Falcon DL’s have proven to be consistently in a class of their own in the current hub-print DL world. Not quite as universally compatible in older burners as verbs, but certainly a best-bet for a hub-print. Excellent print surface, as well. That being said, what burner and software are you using? Perhaps we can help you get the best results from your Falcons :).

@MegaDETH: Don’t worry too much. 1 1/2 year old burns still play back fine :cool:

Another example of how well these burn in an Optiarc AD-7200A.

I have to agree with the others that FTI is the only other brand of DVD+R DL media besides Verbatim that’s even worth considering. The Ritek Ridata DLs have the very same compatibility issues as Memorex-branded DLs. And MAM-A IIRC does not make its own DVD+R DL stampers; instead, that company’s DL discs use either Ritek or Moser Baer stampers. In other words, the MAM-A DVD+R DL discs will have the very same issues as the Ridata and Memorex DL discs.

Guys I also have a preference for Hub Printable discs and have always used Ty DVD+R’s but I’ve never tried any DL discs before.

How would the Falcon Pro DL’s burn in my Pioneer 111D?

[QUOTE=mccoady;2482563]Guys I also have a preference for Hub Printable discs and have always used Ty DVD+R’s but I’ve never tried any DL discs before.

How would the Falcon Pro DL’s burn in my Pioneer 111D?[/QUOTE]

Only your burner/ System would Know That, Try it and let us know. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=mccoady;2482563]Guys I also have a preference for Hub Printable discs and have always used Ty DVD+R’s but I’ve never tried any DL discs before.

How would the Falcon Pro DL’s burn in my Pioneer 111D?[/QUOTE]
I got decent scans burned at 8X, 85+ QS scanned with the DH-20A4P, no playback problems. Good to very good at 6X and 4X, 90+ QS. That was with firmware 1.29. It used a 6X-8X-6X burn strat that gave reasonably quick burns.

I wonder how long those DLs can resist against deteroriation…

[QUOTE=chef;2488738]I wonder how long those DLs can resist against deteroriation…[/QUOTE]
I’m glad you asked that. They last exactly 16 years, three months, and 11 days in storage. Or 6 minutes in the hands of my niece :p.

But seriously, folks. Poorly pressed discs will often show marked degradation in a short span. No signs of that with 1 1/2 year old Falcon DL burns. I had one batch of Verbatim DL’s go south on me and require new copies in less time than that. In my experience, claims about a disc’s dye longevity have far less to do with actual longevity than the production standards of the factory that manufactured them. Falcon’s all come from one source. Verbatim has appeared to have a few problems at some of their DL production facilities in recent times. But I have heard that they’ve made efforts to tighten things up. I certainly hope so. I know I’d like to have at least two options for high-quality DL’s :).