Which is faster? Lite-On SOHW-1633S vs. Lite-On SHM-165H6S?

Which would be the fastest of the two?

Lite-On SOHW-1633S vs. Lite-On SHM-165H6S? :confused:

This must be a joke. If it is’nt, don’t expect speed out of a 1633. Read the forums and see that the owners of the new LiteOn drives report very good results at higher speeds.

:bigsmile: Leo

The Lite-On SHM-165H6S was a gift so I didn’t do a spec search on it.
I figured it would be easy to ask the pros here at cdfreaks.com :bow:
Would you please post some links on this related topic? thanks!

The 1633 is one of the worst liteon ever!!!
It is a very good cd reader/burner, an average DVD reader, a louzy DVD burner.
You can crossflash it to 1653 to improve the DVD capacity, but there is a bug in the last(s) 1653 firmware making it a louzy dvd reader. Passed 12X there is a huge drop.

bichonn, how would you personal rate the Lite-On SHM-165H6S? :confused:

bichonn,

Whoops sorry for the double post… :doh:

Not bad for a gift…
I own a 1633 and crossflashed it to 1653 CS0T. I’m not in a hurry so I don’t mind the fact that 8x is the upper limit of this drive, burning higher produces coasters. Burn quality is o.k for me.
The newer drives from LiteOn are more capable to burn faster. Use the search function with the model number and read all about it.

Have fun.

:clap: Leo

I have this and the 1635s and they are both excellent. Look for the current test firmware in another thread and the test smartburn and unlock everything this drive has to offer. :iagree:

I own a 1213 crossflashed @1653-No bad at all -Speed for burn and read is safe @12x for most known quality media,except for some DVD-R media which liteon drives don’t like them like DVD+R so must reduce burn speed-Be aware still a lot of bad media batches in the market,so impressions always depends on-Finally read bug not affect pressed discs if need >12x read.

-In my opinion good replacement will be an upcoming >18x drive,since 16x burn speeds still not well supported by drives this moment on 16x media,but not say not to a gift to current model :clap:

I have a 160P6S and it is a very good drive. But if you are looking for a fast ripper, you will have to use a test firmware. The stock firmware is riplocked.
It is probably the most quiet drive I have ever own. I really like it.

So how can I unlock the power of my Lite-On SHM-165H6S?
Is there a new firmware out that tweaks the speed of my drive?
Will it kill my Lite-On SHM-165H6S? Please advise on what’s best for my
Lite-On SHM-165H6S? I love speed and power on my computer.

The freaks come out at night…The freaks come out at night! :iagree:

digital_trans, see this thread and this thread. All of the current test firmwares work well and they don’t kill drives. :wink:

Thanks for the links but which firmware on that page would be the most current I need? I see lots of them. Would you please post the one I need that’s most current? Thank you!

Here’s the most recent one. http://www.savefile.com/projects2.php?fid=9582998&pid=720118&key=795950 :smiley:

Okay, I downloaded the file and flashed my Lite-On SHM-165H6S with the version you provided. What’s the advantage in doing that? Lite-On’s website had a May 2006 Firmware update so is the one you gave me better or something? I’m just curious? :doh: ???

Why don’t you read the links CK gave you?

Okay, thanks for the info! Quick Question, would the file barebear provided me also work on a Lite-On DVDRW SHW-160P6S? Please advise? :bow:
Thank you!

No you need this one. http://www.savefile.com/projects.php?pid=720118 :slight_smile: