Which is faster, dvdfab 4.1.2.0 or 5.0.3.0?

vbimport

I wondered which was faster dvdfab 4 or the version 5. I used a brand new disk of mission impossible (tv series), all of these disks (season 4) are about 7gb and read slow, at the layer break I lose about 3mb/sec in speed and then it slowly builds back up. The 4.1.2.0. seemed to start out faster in read speed, but did not reach as high a read speed as the 5.0.3.0, and with write speeds this disk only got up to 7.6x (10.26mb/sec w/4.1.2.0 and 10.30 mb/sec w/5.0.3.0), where usually with a verbatim dvd+r dl 8x disk I can get up to 7.7 or 7.8x. I attached the finish screen for both runs - there does not seem to be much difference between the two, with the 5.0.3.0 run it stopped clock at 20.x mins but the finializing took about another 20 secs to complete which did not register, usually it does register, and this run the disk did not eject, which is the first time this has happened with 5.0.3.0, it would happen with 4.1.2.0 once in a while. both runs were made on a fresh boot with the disk defragmented (with diskeeper 2008. Does anyone else have any figures concerning the relative speed for burns between the two versions? p.s. some of you must hate me because I said that dvdfab was sending out information during the break between copy and burn, at least this is what zone alarm was telling me when I had set dvdfab to no access to internet. Please forgive me - i was only trying to share my experience, not shame our dvdfab!!! Peace…:bow:

About the same for me. I think 5.0.3.0 is a little faster, but would have to test to make sure. The VSO burning engine version is the same in 4.1.2.0 and all the version 5s, so I would not expect any change in the burn process times. The analysis times seem faster in 5.0.3.0 also.

Can’t really say that there’s much difference.
Like you, I use Diskeper 2008 to keep my HD in order, and regularly use a prog called CleanUp! to get rid of any stuff still hanging around after my visits to the Net.
Tend to shut everything else down when using DVDFab.
Can read a DVD, and make two backups using VSO in about 30 minutes, at a write speed of 6x, which keeps me quite happy.:smiley:

Hi Sloveheart,

I see that you are using 2 drives at the same time. When I use both my drives the copy / burn process takes about 1 1/2 hours!. It is much faster if I copy to folder and then burn separately. Are you using master / slave configuration on your dvd drives? I am using the cable select config. That might be my problem. Sorry for slightly changing the discussion:confused:

[QUOTE=rogman49;2075967]Hi Sloveheart,

I see that you are using 2 drives at the same time. When I use both my drives the copy / burn process takes about 1 1/2 hours!. It is much faster if I copy to folder and then burn separately. Are you using master / slave configuration on your dvd drives? I am using the cable select config. That might be my problem. Sorry for slightly changing the discussion:confused:[/QUOTE]

My dvd drives are SATA drives, they do not have a master - slave setup, my other computer however is ide, and I am able to use cable select, I do not know if your computer is compatable with this, but it allows you to avoid the master / slave setup, I am suprised that it takes so long to burn using your setup. where does the time go? (when during the process does so much of the time get used)??? also I am curious what operating system drives are you using. SATA is a fast connection, some motherboards are now using this connection, they operate at a max of 1.5 gb/sec (never happens in real life). I do not have the figures for ata 100 or ata133, some one on these fourums knows - i am sure. :slight_smile:

Hi Sloveheart,

Thanks for the reply. My OS is WINXP…SP2…brand is Compaq…about 2 years old. My HD is Sata, but dvd drives are IDE. It seems that the read / compress is taking the longest. I will try the master / slave settings instead of cable select. If that does not improve I will add a second IDE cable and only have 1 drive per cable. Some folks have had problems using cable select setting. :sad:

[QUOTE=rogman49;2076095]Hi Sloveheart,

Thanks for the reply. My OS is WINXP…SP2…brand is Compaq…about 2 years old. My HD is Sata, but dvd drives are IDE. It seems that the read / compress is taking the longest. I will try the master / slave settings instead of cable select. If that does not improve I will add a second IDE cable and only have 1 drive per cable. Some folks have had problems using cable select setting. :sad:[/QUOTE]

I use the cable select mode, but if you say that is causing troubles, then I think your idea of making both drives master drives would be the best!:iagree:

[QUOTE=rogman49;2076095]Hi Sloveheart,

Thanks for the reply. My OS is WINXP…SP2…brand is Compaq…about 2 years old. My HD is Sata, but dvd drives are IDE. It seems that the read / compress is taking the longest. I will try the master / slave settings instead of cable select. If that does not improve I will add a second IDE cable and only have 1 drive per cable. Some folks have had problems using cable select setting. :sad:[/QUOTE]

another thing I thought is your reading drive might just be slow, I have noticed that some of my fastest writing drives do not read that well and visa versa.

Interestingly, I also did a test last week, (but do not have any proof of time…I timed by using timer within the program).

DVD Movie length 1 hr & 20mins. = Using version 5.03 burn time was 1hr 43mins.

Same = Using version 4.1.2.0 burn time was 1 hr and 52mins.

Ripped to IPOD - Version 5.03 was = 1 hr, Version 4.1.2.0 was = 1hr 22mins.

The above are estimated= best to my knowledge. But I am sure that version 5.0.3 ripped faster to IPOD faster than version 4.1.2.0.

On the other hand, version 5.0.3 is not as stable as 4.1.2.0.

Chow

Honestly, i’ve noted little difference in ripping speed. But i haven’t really been looking for any difference.

[QUOTE=Sea Monster;2076511]Interestingly, I also did a test last week, (but do not have any proof of time…I timed by using timer within the program).

DVD Movie length 1 hr & 20mins. = Using version 5.03 burn time was 1hr 43mins.

Ripped to IPOD - Version 5.03 was = 1 hr, Version 4.1.2.0 was = 1hr 22mins.

The above are estimated= best to my knowledge. But I am sure that version 5.0.3 ripped faster to IPOD faster than version 4.1.2.0.

On the other hand, version 5.0.3 is not as stable as 4.1.2.0.

Chow[/QUOTE]

yeah it seems like the 5.0.3.0 is abit faster, i haven’t had any issues with it yet, but looking through the bulletin board it looks like there is some problems, hopefully they will be addressed, seems like fentango is on the job!

[quote=SLOVEHEART;2081286]yeah it seems like the 5.0.3.0 is abit faster, i haven’t had any issues with it yet, but looking through the bulletin board it looks like there is some problems, hopefully they will be addressed, seems like fentango is on the job![/quote] The ripping speed will also vary with the amount of compression.

[QUOTE=Sea Monster;2076511]DVD Movie length 1 hr & 20mins. = Using version 5.03 burn time was 1hr 43mins.

Chow[/QUOTE]

what a joke. :rolleyes:

even though i know you mean ripping and burning, this time is outrageous. now i do believe it is really taking you this long. i wouldnt like a program that takes 4 times longer than it should either. but the problem isnt dvdfab. :wink:

Sea Monster’s computer must be “Steam-Powered” or there is a hardware problem somewhere.

No H/W problems…I have only a Notebook PC. Below are my system info.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~1662 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date INSYDE R1.20, 9/11/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 498.81 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Can any one let me know what is the average time to rip using DVDFAB; with the default settings.

The information I given before was somewhat realistic.

Chow

Sea Monster,

I’m not sure there is an average rip speed because of the difference in configurations but, I just ripped “I am legend”, full disk to the HDD in 12:28 and then movie only from that rip in 5:15. Then I tried ipod default settings, I think that’s what you are asking for,  and it was going to take well over an hour, Fab mobile is just painfully slow right now, I’m sure it will get better in the next few revisions. 

Ciao

[QUOTE=alan1476;2081287]The ripping speed will also vary with the amount of compression.[/QUOTE]

that is a factor :)- i always burn uncompressed, even if it means burning to edge of disk, dvd5-4472gb, dvd9-8152gb. hoping to avoid some nasty:sad: experiences i had when i first got dvdfab two years ago and compressed up to 50 % and then had problems playing back video on dvd players (by the way NEVER get a samsung dvd player - it takes only 2-3 months before the thing(s) will not recognize dvd+r or dvd+r dl discs:( i had the dvd-v9700 and had to send it in for service three times, then they wanted to exchange it - the replacement came by ups and was severely damaged, then there were another 15 calls to get another replacement sent out, i now use a philips dvp-3960 and it works excellent with homemade discs - they say they use a higher powered laser than most other dvd players! - always had good luck w/philips:bow:)

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;2081365]Sea Monster’s computer must be “Steam-Powered” or there is a hardware problem somewhere.[/QUOTE]

'beer proves that god loves us -…":bow:THAT IS GOOD NEWS:bigsmile::cool:

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;2081365]Sea Monster’s computer must be “Steam-Powered” or there is a hardware problem somewhere.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Sea Monster;2081428]No H/W problems…I have only a Notebook PC. Below are my system info.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
BIOS Version/Date INSYDE R1.20, 9/11/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 498.81 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Can any one let me know what is the average time to rip using DVDFAB; with the default settings.

The information I given before was somewhat realistic.

Chow[/QUOTE] Sea Monster …>>>>

FOR ME TO RIP A 7600GB - 7900GB MOVIE takes @11-12 minutes using the two drives i have which read well (the PLDS(hp drive) and the phililps) if i tried the plextor or the mad dog it would take much longer maybe 17-18 minutes, i use the plextor and the mad dog to burn; they burn the size listed above onto verbatim dvd+r dl 8x in 11-12 minutes, all my drives are sata drives, maybe why they go faster. my other rig is a pIV, 300mhz processor w/xp pro sp2, w/ ide drives (plextor 760a, and a tsst drive using cable select) the times are longer 18-19 minutes to rip (w/ no compression) and 20 minutes to burn. hope that gives you some info to compare with!

I ran a system for a long time with two ide optical drives, and tried every configuration I could think of. The biggest bang I got was throwing the old 40 wire data ribbons that came on the machine away and replacing with the 80 wire ribbons. Second was putting each drive on a different controller, it didn’t seem to make much difference whether they were slaves, masters or cable selected as long as they were on different data ribbons and one on the primary controller and one on the secondary.