Which is better?

vbimport

Have IDE connection on my dvd burner. Have an unused SATA on my motherboard. Am shopping for new burner. which is the better hook up?

For the speeds involved in DVDs there shouldn’t be a difference.

[QUOTE=baggman;2469260]Have IDE connection on my dvd burner. Have an unused SATA on my motherboard. Am shopping for new burner. which is the better hook up?[/QUOTE]

First off what type of connections does your motherboard have both IDE or just Sata? I say as the MOD it doesn’t matter for dvd burners but it does make a big difference on HDD those go for Sata HDD. But if you have enough Sata connectors and no IDE. I say go for a dvd burner with Sata cause if that all that they give you then go with Sata devices. Plus Sata HDD are cheaper then IDE HDD and probably translate over to dvd burner prices as well. Also most devices nowdays are going the way of Sata connectors as well.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2469290]First off what type of connections does your motherboard have both IDE or just Sata? I say as the MOD it doesn’t matter for dvd burners but it does make a big difference on HDD those go for Sata HDD. But if you have enough Sata connectors and no IDE. I say go for a dvd burner with Sata cause if that all that they give you then go with Sata devices. Plus Sata HDD are cheaper then IDE HDD and probably translate over to dvd burner prices as well. Also most devices nowdays are going the way of Sata connectors as well.[/QUOTE]

Motherboard has both connections. Hard drive is SATA connection, DVD burner has IDE.

Thanks for your input. Considering my options; right now leaning towards IDE because that’s what my burner is already using.

When writing to a DVD at 1X, the data is transferred at a speed of approximately 1.32 MB/s (1,385,000 bytes per second). So 16 speed is about 21.20 MB/s. A normal IDE port can handle 33MB/s.

For Blu-ray disks, 1x speed is defined as 36 megabits per second (Mbit/s), which is equal to 4.5 megabytes per second (MB/s). However, as the minimum required data transfer rate for Blu-ray movie disks is 54 Mbit/s, the minimum reading speed for a Blu-ray drive intended for commercial movie playback should be 2X.