Which is better - Samsung or LG 48x24x48x?

Planning to buy a 48x24x48x CD-RW Drive.

Which is better? -

1. Samsung 48x24x48x
  2. LG 48x24x48x

The Drive doesn’t need to be able to copy COPY-PROTECTED Disks as I can do it with my current Lite-On 48x12x48x

The LG is very similar to the Lite-On in many respects (mediatek chipset), I don’t know of anything particularly enticing about Samsungs. Assuming it’s just for general use they would both work fine, the LG can also copy protected CDs well.

Samsung CD-RW drives usually can’t encode EFM errors, so if you need to backup SafeDisc 2 protected titles, forget it. LG seems to be the best choice. But if you can buy the a LiteOn :bigsmile:

Originally posted by vio_man
Samsung CD-RW drives usually can’t encode EFM errors, so if you need to backup SafeDisc 2 protected titles, forget it. LG seems to be the best choice. But if you can buy the a LiteOn :bigsmile:

As, I already mentioned, I have a Lite-On 48x12x48x - 48125S. I can do all the copy-protection stuff with this.

I’ll be basically using the new burner as a CD-ROM & sometimes for Multiple Recorder Burning.

I have heard that LG Burners aren’t that good & are picky on media and also die early. I had a HP burner earlier (rebadged LG). It died in 13 months from purchase.

Don’t know much about Samsung either. A friend of mine has a Samsung 8x4x32x & is still going strong after about 1500-2000 burns.

So what do you guys say:

Samsung 48x24x48x or LG 8481B - 48x24x48x

why not go w/ another lite-on? or are they not available?

cdrlabs wasn’t too pleased w/ the performances of the LG 52x24x52 or 48x16x48 (both received 7/10 in that area), so that may be something to consider.

I want to shell out very little money on this item.

I am going to give 2 CD-ROMs to the dealer as buy back & just pay the difference.

That dealer doesn’t sell Lite-Ons.

I want to shell out very little money on this item.

invest a little extra & they serve you for a lifetime. if u go for marginal quality & less price - you spend most of the time getting the damm thing to work :slight_smile:

how abt SONY (flashed to liteon) ??

works for me.

I have a 16X & 48X - both work good !!!

I had some problem with my motherboard IDE controller & IDE drivers - but SONY is good buy.

They supplement as excellent readers also.

ps : where are u buying from ?

So, you recomend a Sony.

Whats the approx price for Sony 48x Burner? If possible pl check Lite-On 48x also?

Check your mail. !!!:bigsmile:

so lite-ons are a no-no, but rebadged lite-ons are ok? :confused:

if so, then go for a sony or memorex. there’s other brands for rebadged lite-ons, but those are the only guaranteed ones.

I think the LiteOn is cheaper than the Sony drive.

That dealer doesn’t sell Lite-Ons.

so lite-ons are a no-no, but rebadged lite-ons are ok?

:bigsmile:

Compared to SAMSUNG & LG - SONY is much much better.

But you will have to compromise on price if you want good quality. Even asus writers are not good.

Originally posted by pps111
[B]

Compared to SAMSUNG & LG - SONY is much much better.

But you will have to compromise on price if you want good quality. Even asus writers are not good. [/B]

Can you be a bit more specific about these asus writers? Which ones are you talking about? What problems have you encountered?

Thanks all of you guys for reply to my post.

Well I am going to buy a Lite-On 48x24x48x - 48246s.

I am getting it for about Rs. 3100/- i.e. US$ 62 approx.

Sony is more costly.

I hope this one is good. I had to replace my first 48125W & got a 48125S which is cool.

So, I’ll be having 2 Lite-Ons - 48x24x48x & 48x12x48x.

Originally posted by AZImmortal
[B]so lite-ons are a no-no, but rebadged lite-ons are ok? :confused:

if so, then go for a sony or memorex. there’s other brands for rebadged lite-ons, but those are the only guaranteed ones. [/B]

:bigsmile: I thought the Sonys were cheaper than Lite-Ons.

Getting a Lite-On 48x24x48x. Its cheaper than Sony. Just found out the price. My 48125S is cool.

LG drives are very silent. Samsung drives have 8MB buffer. Lite-On drives are cheap and fast.

Hi Guys!

My quest is finally over.

I bought a Lite-On 48x24x48x (48246S).

But, one thing is the box didn’t come with a 24x CD-RW. It came only with a CD-R.

Does anyone know a place to buy a 24x CD-RW media in Mumbai/Bombay?

I think the dealer has cheated me & has stolen it.

Immediately upgraded firmware to SS0B.

Where did you pick the Lite-On up from?
Call these guys = Computer Media Products
Phone Number= 23411476/23452640

They are Verbatim dealers. I bought 25 Verbatim DataLife Plus 16X cdrs from them for Rs 450, incl home delivery.
He told me he will be getting the 24X UltraSpeed media at the end of the month.
Check with them, they should be able to help you out.

Originally posted by Bhairav
[B]Where did you pick the Lite-On up from?
Call these guys = Computer Media Products
Phone Number= 23411476/23452640

They are Verbatim dealers. I bought 25 Verbatim DataLife Plus 16X cdrs from them for Rs 450, incl home delivery.
He told me he will be getting the 24X UltraSpeed media at the end of the month.
Check with them, they should be able to help you out. [/B]

I bought it from Prime ABGB (Authorised Dealer) of MediaTech India (Official Importer).

I’ll call those guys on Monday.

Thank you very much for contact info.

@Bhairav

Incase you need the contact info of Prime ABGB:

Mr. Gulbir A. Bhatia

23855500/23896600

@Bhairav

Just one more thing. Whats the SmartBurn Limit of those Verbatim DataLife Plus 16X? Also, whose the manufacturer?